The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
stroker87

can you have a leak free system?

I needed to replace the rear 2 bags on my truck one has a leak after taking the bed off and seeing the valve found a couple more leaks

I plain on fixing them but is this common or just a poor install? can the compression fitting be reused or do i need all new?

can or should the valve be solid or should they be mounted with some type of rubber to reduce vibration?

any tips here would be great!

here is a picture of of rear setup I'm not liking the way the valve are just sitting on the tank

(bought the truck like this)

sorry for the crappy cellphone pic
stroker87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
edflores

Re: can you have a leak free system?

Poor install. Clean all that up, new line, replace the fitttings, or at least the ferrules if you want to keep the compression fittings
edflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:43 AM   #3
andrewmp6

Now you see why i said i wouldn't buy a truck someone else air bagged.It looks like it was installed kinda lazy,Most i seen the valves are mounted solid only the compressor have a rubber mount because they vibrate.Here's a link on how to clean the valves http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f125/s...how-to-237585/
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #4
stroker87

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
Now you see why i said i wouldn't buy a truck someone else air bagged.It looks like it was installed kinda lazy,Most i seen the valves are mounted solid only the compressor have a rubber mount because they vibrate.Here's a link on how to clean the valves http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f125/s...how-to-237585/
thanks for the link, I think I'll do that since its going to be all apart

for the money I spent on the truck I could not turn it down, be leave me I was not looking for a 2nd truck i'm more then happy with my 87 I have now for 7 years

I got a heater in the garage its keeping me busy and out of the wife's way and helping with the winter blues so its not so bad lol the only down fall right now is the 87 got delayed i need to get the engine back in and tuned (damm efi)
Old 02-20-2012, 05:15 AM   #5
andrewmp6

Yours isn't that bad but sloppy in spots no one will see,I seen some mini trucks done so hacked it scared me they was driving around on the roads.I seen a jacked up impala had a car show they welded what looked to be scrap iron in chunks on top the spindle to raise it lol.Most valve mounts look like this http://www.avsontheweb.com/product.p...cat=416&page=1 they do make some special for each brand or if your good its not hard to make your own too.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
stroker87

I'm going to make my own and get these cleaned, mounted and hopefully it will keep me problem free for while