The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2003, 02:04 PM   #1
Desert Rat

Is this wrong???

As some of you know i own numerous snake(34 as we speak to be exact)and theres a few who eat rabbits.and about 12 rabbits a month add up if i was to buy at pet store your looking at $12 each,if i go to the feed store $8 each,if i order online $4 each,but shipping had to be Airborne Express 2 day,i just placed a $400 rodent order and shipping was $300 but its still cheaper than buying from pet stores.I spent about $400 a month in food for them.Heres what makes people think im sick.Of course its easter time,and how many people get easter bunnys as gifts.and what do they do with them a week or 2 later.they let them go,they put them in the paper,and the local pound last year was over run with them,i was thinking about putting a add in the newspaper.WANTED adoptable Easter Bunnys.Maybe BunnySanctuary-LOL that way i could get them for free.people say thats sick,but whats the difference if i buy them from the pet store or get them for free???that i dont understand.i know at 12 a month thats a minimum of $100 savings.Is this wrong?
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 02:22 PM   #2
cochino12
It followed me home?

sounds like a fair money saver to me. You might as well not have to pay for them
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 03:05 PM   #3
Desert Rat

Thank you,My thoughts excatly,i mean whats the difference i take someones Peter Cotton tail that they want to dump off,or i go pay for one.A unwanted pet is often neglected or is let go.If i was a bunny id rasther be dead than stuck in a little glass tank,with dirty wood chips and no-food and water.nothing makes me sicker than mistreated animals.atleast im nice to them and put them down humanely is a gas chamber i made.I dont feed none of my snakes live food,id hate to be that rabbit,that just got the crap bit out of me and now my bones are crunching and i can breathe sure its only for a few minutes,but think id rather be in a box,and fall asleep.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:07 PM   #4
Big69C20 Toy
Livin' it up.

I'd go for it D-rat... also you ever heard the phrase 'f_ck like rabbits" i'm sure you have... why dont you just get a big arse hutch/pen in the backyard and let the li'l buggers multiply on their own... just a thought.
Big69C20 Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 03:14 PM   #5
marcuspboldt
Registered Abuser

I can see the headlines now "Bunny sanctuary really SNAKE PIT!"

I would just be careful about how you represent your concern for the bunnies. Could it come back and bite you ? I really don't know.
The way I see it turning any "pet" out to fend for it's self is not right ,and sending them to to pound is little better. At least they fit a certain need that you have ,or should I say that your snakes have.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem knowing where the bunnies were going ,of course I wouldn't want my kids to know ,but I would rather you be up front with me. IF I even asked ??? Most people would probally say "take them I don't care what you do with them just take them"

just my 2 cents
marcuspboldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 03:55 PM   #6
Desert Rat

your right marcus i wasnt really going to put sahe-haven or anything.i was just going to put Rabbits Wanted or Unwanted Bunnys adopted.If someone asks i will tell them,but most people when something becomes a burden dont care and dont ask question,but however i would have a hard time if some lady asked my what are you going to do with it i hate to say,im going to take it home,place it in a chamber to put it to sleep,then im going to put it in the freezer.then thaw it out and let my snakes rip it apart.then they would rather let it go,and pet rabbits arent adjusted to Arizona summers,very hot,lots of predator.we have tons of jack rabbits id collect them if they werent full of parasites.hopefully nobody will ask me,but i dont see a big difference they sell rabbit meat at some grocery stores.I figure they have to eat to,and its my responsibility to keep them healthy.
Old 04-19-2003, 05:13 PM   #7
1969 GMC

thats not bad at all..of course I used to own snakes, and I really don't care at all for any type of rodent. Mice, rats, rabbits, groundhogs...all nuisances. Even though a groundhog isn't a rodent.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 09:24 PM   #8
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

You made a gas chamber?

Was the electric chair too hard to strap them into?

I got an idea, why not breed your own rabbits!
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 10:16 PM   #9
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

I'm with the others that suggested to raise your own.
I raised rabbits when I was young.
At any given time I had 40 Show rabbits and 400 meat rabbits.
There was a good demand for the meat, I got $5 ea. cleaned and packaged (it was the mid 70s)
There are easy to raise and may be the most economical solution.
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 10:33 PM   #10
Desert Rat

Ive thought about it but to me its not worth the hassle.it gets very hot here in the summer,i dont know how they would fare at 110 degrees and i want my fre time to be with snakes,and hunting in the desert.i tried rodent and i hate them,i dont like to feed them,clean up after them,i have a hard enough time cleaning up after what i have now.its so much easier to pull out of the freezer.
Yes gas chamber is a simple thing to make large styrafoam cooler with a air tight hole and a tube hooked into it tube goes to a seperate container in which i place dry ice,and then water,close both lids the gas goes into the rodent tank,and they are all asleep within a minute.one of the most humane ways to kill.I even made a litle sign for it the "Death Chamber" no i am not related to Hitler in anyway shape or form.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:38 PM   #11
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by Gee_Emm
Was the electric chair too hard to strap them into?
You ever smelled a burnt rabbit?
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 02:09 AM   #12
dmnall

Desert Rat, I would do the same exact thing... Right now I am looking for an alternate way of getting medium rats for my 3 ' Columbian Boa (only snake I own at the moment), but I remember when I had a pair of Albino Burmese Pythons, my female was 10 ' and she would eat 2 Large Rabbits a Week and no she was not obese but a perfect breeding weight, and my male who was 8 Feet would eat 1 a week as well.. At that time a friend of mine owned a petstore but it would cost me $ 10 a rabbit, damn, wish I would have put an ad in the newspaper, trade express, easy ad, recycler.. Just to get rabbits for free, that would have saved me at least $ 30 a week at that time.. Plus my Burmese would only eat Live food, my boa that I have not on the other hand will eat prekilled rats... Since I started it on Rats, that is all I feed is Pre-killed, but damn local petshop wants 4.00 per Medium frozen rat but most of the other employees sell the frozen the same price as live so most of the time I end up paying $ 5 a week...
2008 Honda Civic Si *lease*
dmnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 11:16 AM   #13
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

Dry ice kills them?
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 12:21 PM   #14
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

Dry Ice + Water = Lots of CO2 gas.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that...I do think there's everything wrong with getting a pet you have no idea how to care for and will end up dumping somehow in a matter of weeks.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:42 PM   #15
Desert Rat

dmnall.thats alot of money for rats i have started ordering all my frozen online from www.rodentpro.com med rats are $1.09 jumbos 1.89 rabbits start at $4.00 you can get any live eater to take frozen thaw or pre killed eventually,sometimes it takes some work but i get most of my rattlesnakes on frozen thawed,all my boids and colubrids are also on frozen thaw,i had a Burm get bit by a rabbit once and the vet bills cost way more than the snake,and it had a ugly wound for life.Im particular about the reptiles i have and want no scars,and i only keep snakes with nice color and marking,nicely colored parents generally make nicer hatchlings hopefully i will have over 200 Burmese hatchlings from all my females to show for it.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:46 PM   #16
Desert Rat

oh by the way at rodentpro website the shipping is expensive but i ordered about $400 worth,even after shipping it saved me alot of money than even buying them from my local herp club,and will save you about double than pet stores,but to make it worth your wile you need to order a stock pile,because shipping on 10 rats isnt much less than 20.I took of a bag of 50 mice off the order and it dropped my shipping by over 40 bucks because it reduced the number of boxes shipped from 3 to 2.they have a online calculator for your order including shipping,this place supplies to all the major vets,zoos,and herp gurus.If you have any snake questions or anything let me know.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:54 PM   #17
greenhorn male

desert rat...since you trained your snakes to eat thawed frozen rabbits, why not train them to eat thawed frozen chicken. They taste the same , plus you can get them on sale at your local grocery store.
greenhorn male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 03:58 AM   #18
dmnall

thanks for the information desert rat, I guess I will have to order some from rodentpro tomorrow because $ 5 a week sucks... I can live with $ 1.09 a lot better...
2008 Honda Civic Si *lease*
dmnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 09:09 AM   #19
Desert Rat

gree-actually snakes will eat chickens,only bummer is when they let it pass,it stinks REALLY bad,and is more liquid.ill stick to rodents-lol the grocery store chickens contain more salmonella which you dont want to pass on to your snake,its better to get a live one.
dmnall the thing with rodent pro is the shipping,you will want to order quite a few,the shipping is a killer.but their rodents are cleaner and fatter than any pet store animal.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:35 PM   #20
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

id be honest enough that you have a place to have pepole drop off unwanted easter bunnies what you are doing is humane if ya figure if set loose these rabbits would die in the wild, and in reality the bunny is natural prey for the snakes. It is however kinda sad if youre the bunny but hey gota go somehow

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 01:34 PM   #21
LOHRTBT
BeWarE tHe eViL CrAnkTOe!

I would say lose the nasty freaks !! lol
but seriously at that cost...I wouldnt have them anylonger.

- 1986 Chevy SWB - Stock for now
- 1986 Chevy Custom SWB *Stolen 6/26/05*
- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods
www.cardomain.com/id/ramairdave

AIM Screenname - Jester84
LOHRTBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:04 PM   #22
Warbones
Navel Inspector

Only got one

My son traded his paintball gun for a large boa and cage. Now I am stuck with selling the snake as he no longer wants it. Lucky for me it's only one snake and low food bill

1967 CST C10 Long Bed with a 283
Warbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 12:30 AM   #23
ChopTop

I know this is not the reason of this post but...

Desert Rat don't take this the wrong way but..... Don't you think it's irresponsible to breed these Constrictors and similiar snakes. After all these snakes are not natural to the north american habitat. You and I both know these snakes are making thier way into the wild right here in the USA. It's not your doing, but breeders are responsible indirectly.

Heck it's not even safe. Once these snakes get big enough they can be Man-Eaters and two men can't hold them off to save the life of the victim.

On a note more to the original nature of this thread... Why not feed the things Cats! There is a hurendous overpopulation problem here with these hairball critters.

I hate snakes!
Old 04-22-2003, 09:10 AM   #24
Desert Rat

ChopTop I dont think it has anything to do with the breeders these snakes are very popular,no different than someone buying a exotic cat or dog.Where the responibility lies 99% is the purchaser.if they ever let the snake go lets say a 20 ft Python its not going to survive in climates its not adjusted to for very long.When people say this,i find it humorous they are worried about large constrictors.id rather have a neighbor that has a snake in a cage,than a mean pit bull.I rarely ever here about snake related death from constrictors but i see on the news weekly about a little boy or girl mauled and killed by a viscous dog.I dont think alot of people are going to let there $300 snake loose.but you never know.I find nothing wrong with exotic animals that are born in a cage,i personally refuse to buy wild caught animals that are use to being free,i do house many Rattlesnakes that ive caught,mainly for the purpose of breeding them and having captive born babies for myself.There is responsibility in the snake dealers,ive seen Petco sell a Ball Python to what looked to be a 12 year old kid,now thats what i think is wrong,iu think a person should be a minimum of 16 but with parental permision(and thats for the smaller species)i dont think people with no experience should go buy a 24" baby,that in one year will be 8-9 ft like many Burmese and top of from 12-18.Yes some people hate snakes.I personally dont care for cats,birds,most dogs,most people.most people dont like snakes because of a fear of them.most of what i have are gentle giants,its my little snakes that are nasty.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:01 PM   #25
ibjoker69
hahaha

Free kittens in the paper all the time. Don't ask for more than two and keep saying how cute they are. And they will have a good home just dont tell them how long it will be there. Co2 and let,em go at it. I use to have a monitor lizard that loved them and chicks when I could not get kittens. joker69