The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
ol Curt

ol Curt Progress

I am moving along on my floorboards...has been real hot here so the welding and grinding came to a screeching halt for awhile. I normally coach high school soccer in the fall. That's a little extra money but takes up a lot of time.I was also doing it at my alma mater which is a small rural school and is some distance away from my home two counties away! The $3.00 per gallon fuel last summer drove me back to my senses! I now find myself with a lot of free time.

I ordered a custom seat cover from Ricks Upholstery the other day. http://www.ricksupholstery.com/ Donna there worked really hard to see that I got exactly what I wanted. I spent several emails and phone conversations with her to get the color I wanted and she gave advice along the way. For the cost, $200 plus $17 freight I thought this was outstanding. I now have to double up on my efforts to get the cab finished, and am looking forward to putting the seat and fuel tank back in and driving the truck a bit.

But...not for long, as Tony 'LILRED66' came up with a great package on a TH350, column, etc to allow me to go from three on the tree to auto. I won't do a lot of driving with this truck, but want to be able to drive it to work or hardware store occasionally and hopefully some car shows or cruise ins where they aren't TOO critical of my body work skills. If any of you live in the KC area and are coming anywhere east in the next several weeks, I would be really happy to pay you a little cash to help me out in hauling the trans and coulmn. I could definitely meet you somewhere in between.It would save me 800 miles round trip.
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
ol Curt

Re: ol Curt Progress

I forgot to mention I know I'll have some questions when it comes to putting the trans in...in fact I already do!

I suppose I'll also need another radiator to cool the trans? That's too bad, as the one I have is fairly new.

What all will be involved in changing out the crossmember to accept the trans? I'm going to crawl under there today and see if the original is bolted or riveted in.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:00 AM   #3
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

You'll need to look for a new crossmember. 3 speed transmission is suppoted at the bell housing you'll need an original automatic crossmember for a Powerglide ( 7.228 BRACE & 7.229 Support, they bolt in )(( 1/2 ton & 3/4 ton are the same, 1 ton is different )) or an aftermarket crossmember or to fabricate your own.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1

Last edited by aerotruk63; 07-11-2009 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Should allways go to advanced
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
ol Curt

I think Tony has a crossmember as well. I can use that one. I guess that means I don't have take one out!....or so I?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
ol Curt

I have the factory style radiator for a manual three on the tree. Is there a kit available where I can just add a transmission cooler without getting a different radiator?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
aerotruk63

Have you asked any radiator repair shops?

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:37 AM   #7
ol Curt

I'll be checking with some shops on Monday. I see some of the radiators for sale at the usual vendors, but don't want to have to spend an extra 3-$400 to go that way.

I see some trans coolers listed at Jegs, Summitt, etc for anywhere from 80-$300. I'm not sure how they mount but will be looking into those as well.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:40 AM   #8
aerotruk63

RV shops usually carry transmission coolers but I think they'll be pricier than other sources.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:49 AM   #9
ol Curt

Well I don't plan on hauling any heavy loads....mayeb pull a small vintage camper if I find one of those some day....but I suspect it would not need much cooling.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:56 AM   #10
ol Curt

I see one at Summitt that doesn't look too pricey. I also think I see how they fasten. There are some thingies that look like zip ties with a cap on the end. I assume they go thru the original radiator and then get zipped up.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #11
Chevy Fleetside

Look on the bottom of your radiator and see if there are two plugs where there might be a radiator cooler. If it was a replacement radiator and not a universal aluminum they ususally come with the cooler. If you are going to tow something it would be best to have the radiator cooler and even an external one also. I will be running two myself.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #12
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

The ones on summit will work fine for you. I'm also going to do the same thing with mine. Most of them all fasten with zip ties. You could build your own bracket to make it more secure. having a external one would keep it cooler.

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:56 PM   #13
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The one drawback to using just an external cooler, is that the trans takes longer to get up to operating temperature in colder weather, if it does at all. This is because not going thru the in radiator trans cooler it doesn't pickup any heat from the engine coolant. It is desireable for the trans to operate at around 180* if I remember correctly. With that said I have run the trans in my Suburban with only an external cooler, but it is not mounted directly to the radiator, so that I can cover it up in colder temps. The other side of that is if it was mounted to the radiator it could pickup some heat from the radiator that way. I just didn't like the idea of poking some holes thru my new radiator to mount the cooler. Another solution to using only an external trans cooler is a thermostatic controled valve that plumbs in the trans cooler line. Here is one of these at Summit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRM-1070/
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #14
ol Curt

The truck would probably never be driven when it is real cold. I could probably get by with the external one.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:25 AM   #15
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Bob:

Thanks for the biz. If you have an opportunity, give me a call and we can discuss the process of converting your 3-speed manual to an automatic. I am almost complete with a fellow member's truck and willing to share my experience of the process.

Take care and let's stay in touch. Enjoy the day.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:13 PM   #16
ol Curt

Will do Tony. Probably will call tomorrow so I can work on some of the preliminary stuff this weekend. When is a good time to call?
Old 07-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #17
ol Curt

Man, thought I was cruisin and the passenger side floor/rocker repair would be a piece of cake. Found the B Pillar is not solid. I'll start looking at the sites of the usual suspects, but thought somebody might save me the time. Is there someone who carries a panel for those on a 66?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #18
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

You might be able to find someone out west that has a rust free truck that has the roof caved in. Maybe they can cut out a piece of the B pillar for you to put in yours. I have seen them on ebay. That is if they are not available in repops.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:40 AM   #19
ol Curt

I'm going to take a look on ebay today.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:31 AM   #20
ol Curt

Has anybody seen or tried the patch panels listed at Classic Parts? They don't show a photo.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #21
ol Curt

They do how ever say they have it in stock. I may ask a board member to pick it up for me just to make sure.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:39 PM   #22
Chevy Fleetside

Try here.. http://www.truckandcarshop.com/trucks60_72/t60_069.html

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:51 PM   #23
ol Curt

Well, I got my B Pillar patch and it was pretty good...only minor bending to make it work. I have made good progress that last week or so. I'll post up some pics later. I need to buy a few more parts on the passenger side...cab corner and kick panel. My wife and I decided a few years ago to go all cash...no cards for anything. It has worked well, but I have to buy some parts in bits and pieces.

With no soccer this fall I fell I am going to make some great progress.

Last edited by ol Curt; 07-28-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:02 PM   #24
ol Curt

Feel like the B Pillar patch worked out pretty good. I'm kinda at a standstill on this part till a few more pieces arrive.
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #25
ol Curt

It's probably just as well I am waiting on a little sheet metal. Man, my ribs started to hurt real bad under my arm the other day. I may have strained something while putting the front cab mount bolt in and reaching under to tighten while I held the top. My arms aren't very long!

I couldn't sleep last night. Every time I turned it was like some one stuck a hot knife in my side! After probing around and a chest xray the doctor really narrowed it down today....well he said, it could be
1. Pleurisy(Usually brought on by a virus...but some toxins can cause...hmmm, like the stuff I sprayed inside the patched areas after welding?)

2. Cracked rib that wouldn't always show up on the xray (6 weeks to heal)

3. Shingles (in which case a rash will show up soon)

4. Maybe I just pulled something.

I told him I would take a number 4, but hold the fries.