The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
Stepper562

Shes Done...Lets Build!

So about a month ago I decide to bite the bullet and finally find out what my compression is on my old tired 350...mileage unknown due to the speedo reading 88xxx for the past 2 years. Shes always leaked a bit of oil from rear main and oil pan, not to mention from the freeze plugs, a;ways threw out a bit of white smoke after a 30 min + drive when shut off and turned back on. The compression came back as 135 on all cylinders which made me happy hehe.

About 2 weeks ago I noticed my timing jumping while trying to read with a gun which meant 2 things...timing chain worn or my dizzy. Purchased a new HEI dizzy which didnt fix the issue so I went ahead and bought a Pete Jackson noisy gear drive and installed it.

The truck ran good and sounded good for about 2 weeks until this past saturday she back fired out of the carb on my way to the local parts store. Still drove home without any problems...

I parked her infront of the house, about 4 hrs later wanted to go to the grocery store which wouldnt happen...she barely fires up and when she does she`ll idle nice and steadt at 850 RPm then dropps down to 400 RPM and eventually shuts off all together while spewing out a bunch of white smoke from the exhaust.

Is she done? What is it? Blown Head gasket, Heads, Cam walked due to the noisy gear drive? Replace motor or build it up?

Whats the stepps I need to take gents to put together a propper 350...I`m gonna yank off the the carb, heads and manifold in the next couple of days. What do I need to look for while in the process of doing so?
Stepper562 is offline   Reply With Quote