The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
rocking chevy

1985 gmc build

So sense my suburban is going to the junk yard I bought this for $500.

It doesn't have a motor though, but I have a 305 out of an 84 I hauled away awhile ago. It ran good and has a newer alternator on it, I'm going to put a new water pump and maybe belts on it and put it in the pickup.

It has a 700r4 trany in it which the guy I bought it from said was good so I'm going to try it first. If it doesn't work then I have other ones around that I can put in it.
The transfer case is good too.

It also came with a bunch of new parts still in boxes in the cab, I'm not sure whats all there because I haven't looked through them yet. I know theres a new radiator in it, but i'll probably just put the one out of the suburban in it sense its pretty new and a bigger one. Then i'll keep this one for something else.

Im also going to put the lift and tires off the suburban on it, I'll probably put more than that off the suburban on it but not sure what all yet.
rocking chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
legendman

Re: 1985 gmc build

What happened to the burb?

Good score on the K10
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
legendman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #3
butch86

nice score for 5 bills what the underside look like
Old 05-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
rocking chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendman View Post
What happened to the burb?

Good score on the K10
The frame is bent, the engine is only running on seven cylinders, and the trany is going out.
Yes I could straiten this frame, I could put the 305 I'm putting in this one in the burn, and I could put one of the trany's I have laying around in it. But it was top heavy and wasn't as fun/safe as It could have been. so this is whats replacing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch86 View Post
nice score for 5 bills what the underside look like
Yeah it is. The underside is good, ill get some pics sometime.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
rocking chevy

Well the box is pretty much shot, The underside is horrible.

The front fenders are bad too, they could be fixed but I think i'd just replace them.
The cab is pretty good, it needs the normal rockers and cab corners, but the underside is in great condition, so at least its in good shape.

The pickup has newer exhaust on it too, its only 2 inch with glass packs, so its not very big, but its a stock engine so it doesn't matter, I hope it will hook up to the 305. It needs a new hanger on the driver side.

A couple of the rear leafs where broken so I took the 2.5 inch lift front springs I had on my 1997 extended cab with an sas and used them. I used the main leaf from the pickup, cut the ends off of the 2.5 inch lift springs and put them together.

Heres the 14 bolt front the suburban in it, it has a detroit locker in it. I tried a block that was about 5 inches tall but the rear was lower than the front so I put a 5.5 inch block in it then added a one inch block to the springs, so I have about 6.5 inches in the rear.

Then I got the dana 44 in the front, with 6 inch springs.

Heres the rear before I put the bigger block in it.

When I was putting the bigger blocks in the rear I unbolted one side at a time that way the axle wouldn't roll away on me, so only one side went up when I lifted the pickup up and I got a very tiny bit of frame flex out of it, so heres a pic of it.

Heres the final product. I need to get the running boards off.

My grandparents got a new chevy pickup, and when they got it they got the accessory package which came with running boards, bug shields, and a bunch of stuff. It also came with a toolbox, but they got a tonneau cover for it so they couldn't use the toolbox. So I got a new toolbox for free.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
rocking chevy

I got the engine in, but it put up a fight. The engine came out of a 2wd pickup and the mounts on the engine where a little taller and I didn't know that so I fought with it for about 2 hours before I picked up another set laying around and compared them. I switched the mounts and it went right in, so its bolted in now but I still need to wire it up. The last owner left the wiring harness on the pickup, but a couple ends are melted, I kept the harness with the engine when I took it out so I have two harnesses now. Im going to use as much of the harness from the pickup as possible, then use a little from the engine where I have to.

The engine had a new alternator on it, but I put a new water pump, and a 180 degree thermostat on it. I also bought new belts for it, the it has new spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor sitting in the cab left there by previous owner, so I should be set for that kind of stuff.

Then I took the grill out and pushed the dent on the driver side fender out some.

I was going to put the suburbans radiator support and front fenders on it so id have the headlight set up and better front fenders but I decided I don't want to mess around with trying to take all of the bolts out and everything, and If I do that then the front fenders won't match, so I'm just going to leave these ones on here for now(when I fix the body ill put the different fenders on since they don't have any rust).
But for now I think I'm going to buy a phantom grill for it. One of the full length ones. Then I also have a set of pocket style cutout fender flares that I bought for another pickup then sold the pickup so they've been sitting around for awhile, so I'm going to put them on here.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
rocking chevy

I got the engine in, but it put up a fight. The engine came out of a 2wd pickup and the mounts on the engine where a little taller and I didn't know that so I fought with it for about 2 hours before I picked up another set laying around and compared them. I switched the mounts and it went right in, so its bolted in now but I still need to wire it up. The last owner left the wiring harness on the pickup, but a couple ends are melted, I kept the harness with the engine when I took it out so I have two harnesses now. Im going to use as much of the harness from the pickup as possible, then use a little from the engine where I have to.

The engine had a new alternator on it, but I put a new water pump, and a 180 degree thermostat on it. I also bought new belts for it, the it has new spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor sitting in the cab left there by previous owner, so I should be set for that kind of stuff.

Then I took the grill out and pushed the dent on the driver side fender out some.

I was going to put the suburbans radiator support and front fenders on it so id have the headlight set up and better front fenders but I decided I don't want to mess around with trying to take all of the bolts out and everything, and If I do that then the front fenders won't match, so I'm just going to leave these ones on here for now(when I fix the body ill put the different fenders on since they don't have any rust).
But for now I think I'm going to buy a phantom grill for it. One of the full length ones. Then I also have a set of pocket style cutout fender flares that I bought for another pickup then sold the pickup so they've been sitting around for awhile, so I'm going to put them on here.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
l79m20

what size of tires is that?
l79m20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #9
rocking chevy

There only 35s
Old 06-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
rocking chevy

To start off I got the engine all wired up and running, but the 700r4 that the last owner said was good wasn't so I put a 350 in it and its good now
Then the carburetor was acting a little funny so I put a rebuilt one on it. Now I just need to get it set right.
I also had to make a new bracket for the side of it because the one on it didn't have a kick down spot on it.

I also put a spacer under the carb because the kick down was going to hit a bolt.

Put a inline filter in it too.

Then I got the fender flares on.
before.

heres the rear done.

Then I put new tie rod ends on the axle, and replaced the rod going from side to side (can't remember what its called) because it was bent.

Heres how I set the brakes up.

I put a different seat in it.
The old one.

New one.

Heres what the rest of the interior looks like.

The head liner is missing the fabric so ill recover it sometime.

Now on to the dash. It was all cracked so I decided to take all the old stuff off and fiberglass it. Im not done though.
Before.

Bare frame.

First fiberglass mat.

Then I decided I wanted a tach, but where to put it... Why not in the dash?
I bought a small tach then found a piece of exhaust pipe that it fit into, then cut the pipe at an angle and welded it to the dash, then took the bracket that came with the tach and welded it to the backside. Now Im going to fiberglass around it.

Now a couple of dumb things I did to it just because I felt like it.
I had a few extra horns sitting around so I wired a few more up, now I have five horns and its loud.

I also painted the rear driveshaft...like a candycane...

Thats it for now.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:07 AM   #11
threeonthetree

Nice work dig the tach.
wish i knew how to work with fiberglass

1969 c10 AKA SIN

1985 SSWB TRAZER
(super short wheel base)
threeonthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:45 AM   #12
85sierraclassic

truck looks bloody familiar lol got one running around town once and awhile from south east NE bout the same shape as were you started haha btw gas tank looks like its about to fallz out. nice progress thow
Old 06-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #13
rocking chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeonthetree View Post
Nice work dig the tach.
wish i knew how to work with fiberglass
Thanks, fiberglass is very easy to work with just time consuming. This is my first attempt at fiberglassing anything and its turning out pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85sierraclassic View Post
truck looks bloody familiar lol got one running around town once and awhile from south east NE bout the same shape as were you started haha btw gas tank looks like its about to fallz out. nice progress thow
I put a few straps around the driver side tank so it won't fall out, but the passenger tank has a hole in it so I need to get a new one.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #14
texastruckjunky

Nice build it's coming out nice. I like all your mods so far. Good job.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #15
rocking chevy

Thanks.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #16
legendman

Nice progress so far, that driveshaft sticks out under there.

The previous owner of my K20 had done the same thing to the dash, but added a couple more gauges.
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
legendman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #17
rocking chevy

Thanks. Your dash looks nice, the only difference in mine is its going to angle the driver some.