The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
Rude Boy

1978 Q Jet Air / Fuel tunning

On my 1978 GMC Jimmy I'm looking for someone here in AZ, who can get this QJet dialed in for me. I had it rebuilt last weekend, and the guy who rebuilt it was supposed to tune it in for me, but he is out of town. Can someone help me find somebody who can actually work on these?
Rude Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Re: 1978 Q Jet Air / Fuel tunning

Where is mariacopa?

2) You could try doing it yourself provide you stay away from the fan.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
Rude Boy

Maricopa, Arizona. I tried doing it myself, but I could not keep it running to tune the air and fuel. The fan will be a major problem from what I can see.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

So did the engine stay running before the rebuild?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Rude Boy

Yea, it ran good for about two miles, then it would start to suck in air through the top gasket. So I got the whole thing rebuilt to be on the safe side.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

So this means that it is not an ignition problem.

Do you know where the fast idle and curb idle screws are on this carb?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
Rude Boy

The only adjustments that I made to it was the two screws in the front on the lower left and right. Other than than that I have no clue.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

What, exactly, did you do to the front 2 screws?

i wish someone else would drop in the thread; i am mentally incapacitated at the moment for reasons i don't wish to get into publicly at the moment. And i apologize for possibly having to drop out of the discussion.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

You may want to try youtube for some instructional videos.

When you first start the engine, what is your procedure?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
Rude Boy

When I installed the carb, the screws were all the turned to the right, which is no gas or air. I turned each screw 3 complete turns to the left. When I go to start it, I don't give it any gas until after 5 seconds. Next I give the gas pedal very quick hits until it starts to run. Then I have to keep the pedal all the way down to keep it running, but it smokes. If I take my foot off the gas, it dies. I tried opening up the screws more, but with no luck.
I understand that you are frustrated with my problem, so I will check out YouTube.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
Rude Boy

When I installed the carb, the screws were all the turned to the right, which is no gas or air. I turned each screw 3 complete turns to the left. When I go to start it, I don't give it any gas until after 5 seconds. Next I give the gas pedal very quick hits until it starts to run. Then I have to keep the pedal all the way down to keep it running, but it smokes. If I take my foot off the gas, it dies. I tried opening up the screws more, but with no luck.
I understand that you are frustrated with my problem, so I will check out YouTube.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

No, i'm not really frustrated with your problem; i've got my own problems on my plate that i have to deal with.

i don't think turning the idle mix screws out 3 turns is necessarily the best way to tune. Do you have a vacuum gauge?

Do you know where the fast idle screw is under the choke housing?

What about the regular idle screw at the throttle arm?

So, you are saying you don't touch the gas pedal when you start?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Boy View Post
When I installed the carb, the screws were all the turned to the right, which is no gas or air. I turned each screw 3 complete turns to the left.
Since the rebuilder left the screws turned all the way in, you're on the right track with backing them out like that to get a baseline starting point. 2 to 3 turns out should get you to the point where it will at least stay running on it's own provided that the idle speed isn't adjusted too low.

Quote:
When I go to start it, I don't give it any gas until after 5 seconds. Next I give the gas pedal very quick hits until it starts to run. Then I have to keep the pedal all the way down to keep it running, but it smokes. If I take my foot off the gas, it dies. I tried opening up the screws more, but with no luck.
That sounds like either a problem with the choke or an internal carb problem (like a float that's adjusted too high) that's causing it to run too rich. To rule out the choke, you can temporarily tie it open for troubleshooting purposes.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
69gmcc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Boy View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
3 turns out is allot! 1.5 turns from closed is a good starting point.

03 Silverado build thread-http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591582
69gmcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #15
Rude Boy

Wow! I will take your advise and give it a shot. First I will close them, then open 1.5 turns, and see what that does. Second I will open the choke all the way to see what happens. If all else fails, then I will send it to a Real Hot Rod Shop. Thanks for your advise!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #16
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Well, really i think the choke needs to be closed for this to work right; So when you start it, you don't touch the gas?

If you don't then the carb is not set on high idle, this may be in part causing the stalling.

You got a tach?
Old 11-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #17
Rude Boy

At first I never give it gas. I don't have one. How can I fix that?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #18
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

If the engine is cold(hasn't been run for at least 2 hrs) you're generally supposed to press the pedal down and release----this closes the choke blade and squirts fuel into the intake. Also, when the choke blade closes, this also puts the fast idle cam onto high step---should be around 1200 rpm or so.

This closing of the choke should help starting and running for the first 30 seconds or so, although in arizona i'm not sure how much it would help.......
Also, being on hi-step should help to keep the engine running while the engine is cold, still trying to warm up.

What you can do, when the engine is cold, is to manual move the throttle lever and see if the choke snaps shut.

This would all be easier if i could show pictures, but i'm unable to at the moment.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #19
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Also... make sure your timing is dialed in right. Lots of "carb" propblems end up being a combination of carb, ignition, and timing.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #20
cableguy0

If putting the pedal to the floor barely gets the engine running you have more serious issues than the idle mixture screws are going to deal with. The two screws in front are the idle mixture screws and have 0 effect on the way the engine runs once your on the throttle. If its chugging,puffing black smoke and wont run the engine is flooding. I would be very suspect of float level especially on a fresh rebuild.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote