The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
El Campo

Which electric fans to use?

Anybody know of an electric fan setup to put on the 4 core BBC radiators? Are there any factory fans that would work with this (from a newer vehicle obviously) or is the after market the way to go? And how much would this cost? I lowered the engine an inch and a half and moved back 2 inches and having some interference and no-workiedness off the stock fan and shroud. Also how are they triggered to turn on, do you have to have an additional temp sender besides the one that goes to instrument cluster? Thanks
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
CHONGO

Re: Which electric fans to use?

Try to find a set from a dodge intrepid , duel fans that work great.
1964 SWB panel truck
2000 S10 ls x cab Aluminum headed 355
2006 Harley Davidson Night train
CHONGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

You will need a temperature sensor not a sender as well as a relay to power the fan and a separate switch if you want to run the fan whenever you need to cool the radiator manually. The sender on the engine works differently than a fan sensor because the coolant heat reduces the sender to block resistance as the engine warms and gives a graduated reading to the temperature gauge.
The sensor just turns on the fan relay when the coolant reaches a predetermined temperature. The sensor must fit the chevy block,head or manifold, depending on where you want to put it. The sender for the temp gauge usually goes in the head between the no. 1 and 3 spark plugs and the sensor can go in the right head or the intake manifold by the thermostat.

Here is a diagram for the installation. There are others for two fans and for air conditioning setups.

Name:  hppp_0801_26_z+improved_pontiac_cooling_system+diagram.jpg
Views: 3039
Size:  37.1 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
El Campo

CHONGO, do those Intrepid fans fit right on and include a shroud of some sort? Or do I have to make brackets and things to have it fit. And we are talking a HP difference of at least 300 ponies, would that cool a aluminum headed BB adequately? And Vettevet thank you for the diagram (you are always good about them) they always help. Why is an air conditioner equipped vehicle different?
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
repeeler

If you haven't already got your fan I found this here at Old Air Product in Fort Worth. Made just for our trucks. I paid $350 with the trinary switch for the A/C
http://www.classicperform.com/tech_a.../Fantastic.htm

Here is a pic in my truck.
Attached Images

2010 Harley Davidson FLHTK
repeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

i have a 383 sbc with a "3 core" radi. i purchased the flex-a-lite model (1295 i think) & it works great!! i can put my hand about 3" from the grille & i can feel it suckin' air....

good luck!
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I bought the mopar jeep one. It was almost perfect for the stock shroud...can't say how good it is because I haven't driven the blazer since the purchase but haven't read anything bad about it either.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #8
ubtripn

Wow-what a difference. I installed the shroud and since I fabbed my own brackets I had to slightly modify how it connected up top but (I guess this proves ya can't lose em all) because the bottom bolts lined up perfectly with the holes. I ended up keeping my fan spacer but used the ac shroud since I want ac one day. I have to say the shroud went in fast but lining up those four bolts simultaneously through the spacer into the pulley was like a rubics cube coated in vasaline. Took me a full hour and left a mark on my chest. Not sure if this is correct but I believe the temp sensing metal in the clutch has to be within an inch from the radiator so mine is right up there deep in the shroud. (I thought I read the fan should be about half way into the shroud but I had to use my spacer because, even after trying shorter bolts, they would bottom out and push the pulley before seating.) Long story long, it's all in and I am amazed at how consistant it is. I run 185 which may be too cool some say but it gets hot in Boise in the summer. I am amazed that mechanical engineers achieved what they did in the sixties. No electronics and the temp is controlled with precision. My 700R4 shifts at the exact points every time without a computer. I believe if I can get it to work great without electronics then I go that route first. That being said I did install HEI because progress is progress. Anyway, thanks all you were a HUGE help!

P.S. I wish they would let the progress flow through to the consumer, I just read about a Nissan engine with 400HP that is 3 cylinders and weighs 88 pounds. I think we could have done this years ago. They took a 1.5 liter engine, I am assuming with forged everything, and slapped a turbo on it that probably came from a full size diesel. Truly amazing work.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #9
michael bustamante

i used a duel fan set up from a newer maxima. it fit pefect and I only had to fab the top brackets to my liking.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:29 PM   #10
Custom.Chevy

one of the best factory fans out there. i have even seen it on a turbo charged z28 small block car . I use it on my c10 and it cools so well even in 100+ degree heat i have to shut it off and let the engine warm back up.

"If fan depth isn’t critical, the consensus among confirmed junkyard builders is the Lincoln Mark VIII 18-inch fan or Ford’s slightly smaller, 17-inch Taurus LS/’95 Thunderbird/’95 Cougar 17-inch fan are the best. "

this is the exact quote from hot rod magazine.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:15 PM   #11
cleszkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by repeeler View Post
If you haven't already got your fan I found this here at Old Air Product in Fort Worth. Made just for our trucks. I paid $350 with the trinary switch for the A/C
http://www.classicperform.com/tech_a.../Fantastic.htm

Here is a pic in my truck.
I run the same fans with a built 400 SBC and a two core aluminum BeCool radiator. Works awesome now for over 10 years. I am using the trinary switch option with my Vintage Air A/C, and have my MSD Atomic EFI system controlling the operation of both the primary and secondary fans.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #12
ubtripn

I almost bought that kit but they build to order and I was low on time but I love the fact it was designed to plug and play.

I cannot imagine having to shut a fan off in 100 degree heat, that IS impressive. I may still go electric one day just so I can work on the front of my engine easier. I have a brand new engine and found a timing cover leak. Not enough to merit adding oil between changes but I don't like anything leaking. If I do go electric it will either be that kit above or the nissan set up for sure.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote