The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
LEEVON

Tonight we're gonna party like it's 1999

Because it is a 1999. That's right a 1/2 ton early 1999 in the old body style. We made some changes in our driveway, long story short my wife ended up with a sweet 2009 Suburban and I sacrificed my lowered 2008 crew cab (moment of silence please) for this truck. Since I am feeling a little down about all of this I will be putting my personal touch on it until I'm satisfied. Don't fret though, the best thing about this truck is the title lives at my house I'd like to say thanks to gumbys10 and his "1997 Chevrolet granspa truck" thread for inspiration. So this will be a slow update, tweak and personalize build thread. I'll be doing lots of little things and hopefully feeding you some pics along the way.

The truck has been extremely well maintained, and it has 140k miles. I have a folder full of receipts from this year alone for everything from new rotors to water pump and so forth, some of it "just because". The only mechanical attention it needs right away is the driver side door pins, as I hate slamming the door. The stock am/fm radio was also DOA.

My goals right now:
  • Exterior. Needs come clean up. This means new mirrors, tailights and headlights, bumper trim, wheel arch trim, valance, and maybe handles if they don't come clean. I've found all of this stuff on rockauto.com for pennies. Removing the rain guards. The PO already added a nice billet grill (the kind I like, not cheesy).
  • Detail. It will need a three stage cut and polish, although there aren't many swirl marks or scratches there are enough to start fresh. There isn't a single dent on the sides of the body, hood or roof. There are some rock chips and scratches on the bed and tailgate, about normal for this age. I will also clean the wheel wells and polish the bumpers.
  • Interior. Actually it doesn't need much. A cleaning and maybe a switch or two that is ugly. I like to replace the pedal pads because it makes it look and feel new again. I will be keeping my eyes open for a set of gray cloth buckets and console. The 60/40 isn't really my thing. Oh, and removing the junk tint and getting it done right is high on the list. Also, keyless entry.
  • Stereo. I haven't owned the truck 12 hours yet but no radio is no bueno for me so I bought a Kenwood KDC-x396, it has everything I want/need including USB and 3mm jack, Pandora radio and iPod controls. It's been so long since I've bought a head unit. They have come along way and are so inexpensive, relatively. I'll be replacing the 4x6's, using component 6.5's and tweeters up front and a single 10" or 12" sub.
  • Suspension. Lower 4/6 with a notch and maybe helper bags and relocated shocks and new sway bars. Simple with a nice ride is the goal.
  • Wheels and tires. Eagle 225 or Coys in 20x10 with 275/40 and 20x8.5 with 255/40.
  • Drivetrain. I don't really know yet. It's so clean and runs perfect. It has brand new dual exhaust. Maybe long tubes, cam, tune? Or down the road 6.0L swap? Or maybe forced induction? Hmmm.

So here she is, what should we name her?
Attached Images

Last edited by LEEVON; 07-30-2012 at 05:23 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote