The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
mccurrkm

4l80e slip yoke won't go in

Hey guys...I had my drive shaft shortened and balanced last week and now when I went to put it back in...the yoke slides up onto the output shaft about an inch and then stops. It makes a bump sound like it is hitting something. I called the place that shortened it and they don't think they could have mixed up the yokes but I don't know what else it could be. It went on and off several times when I was measuring it to see how much it needed to be shortened. I have take it in and out several other times with no trouble.

What could it be?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: 4l80e slip yoke won't go in

Maybe the put a 4l60e/700r4 tail shaft on it, and your only going onto the initial shoulder of the shaft where the splines haven't fully started, once your hitting the splines it stops (different spline count)

or maybe you have a 4l80e from a 4wd truck, and it has the 4wd tail section which won't fit up the same.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
mccurrkm

What I can't figure out is that it went on fine a few weeks ago...worked perfectly. Now that I had it shortened, it won't go. I figured they put the wrong yoke back on the drive shaft or something but if that isn't the case, I don't know what else it could be. Is there anything in the tailshaft housing that could have come loose or something?
Old 02-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

Definitely something wrong, as I recall when I had my driveshaft made the yoke went on about 4 to 5 inches onto the tailshaft (which was still too short for my liking)

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccurrkm View Post
What I can't figure out is that it went on fine a few weeks ago...worked perfectly. Now that I had it shortened, it won't go. I figured they put the wrong yoke back on the drive shaft or something but if that isn't the case, I don't know what else it could be. Is there anything in the tailshaft housing that could have come loose or something?
Unless you REALLY marred the splines taking it out, there really isn't anything that could jut fail WHILE your driveshaft was out at the shop...it really sounds like the shop put the wrong end on.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
mccurrkm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonr1973 View Post
Definitely something wrong, as I recall when I had my driveshaft made the yoke went on about 4 to 5 inches onto the tailshaft (which was still too short for my liking)
I know how you feel...mine was going on all the way but not now. It's always something when doing this type of install
Old 02-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
mccurrkm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Unless you REALLY marred the splines taking it out, there really isn't anything that could jut fail WHILE your driveshaft was out at the shop...it really sounds like the shop put the wrong end on.
Yea that is what I'm thinking. I called them and they said it is very unlikely they put the wrong one on but it is possible. I am taking it back today, they assured me on the phone that they would make it right. I just hope that is what it is so I don't have to keep scratching my head haha