The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
NCBowtie

Speedometer Problem

Here's the problem. I have a 72 C10. My speedometer is way off. I'm starting to think the speedometer is bad, but perhaps there is something I am not thinking of so I figured I would see if anyone could help.

Ever since I bought the truck, the speedometer did not work at all. Transmission is TH350. The PO had bought a replacement cable so I hooked it up but still nothing. Then I hooked a drill up to the cable and confirmed that the speedometer needle would move so I assumed the speedometer was fine.

I bought a new drive and driven gear and took off the housing. There was no drive gear at all, so I figured that was my only problem. Hooked it up and now the speedometer seems to be close till about 20mph. After that it gets worse. By the time I am going about 50 it is reading 35.

I have an 8 tooth drive gear. 17 tooth driven gear. 3.07 rear and approx 29" diameter tires. According to my calculations, the speedometer should read much closer than it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
NCBowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
ole dollor

Re: Speedometer Problem

is the speedo in the dash making any noise, like its dry ? if the speedo is dry, it will cause it not to work correctly ...
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
29od1

The speedo's have a magnet that induces a magnetic force on the part that drives the needle. I've seen some old ones that read slower than your real speed as you get faster. They 're non-linear at that point and won't be much good for correct speed regardless of a trans speedo gear change.
Posted via Mobile Device
29od1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBowtie View Post
.............I have an 8 tooth drive gear. 17 tooth driven gear. 3.07 rear and approx 29" diameter tires. According to my calculations, the speedometer should read much closer than it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
As mentioned above the speedometer could be defective. To double check go to this site and scroll down to the transmission to the 350TH transmission calculator.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote