The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
Mike's money pit

Engine tests for a 1970 396

I posted a while back about a 1970 396(402) 350hp Chevelle motor that was left bolted to a pallet in a garage I purchased. The owner had passed away but he had restored several neat Chevy cars and was looking for a Nova wagon to drop the 396 in. The story I got from the neighbor was that the 396 was rebuilt and reinstalled in its original Chevelle, but the owner was not happy with the power it made and replaced the 396 with a 502. The prior owner of my garage (now deceased) bought the motor as a running pullout, bolted it to the pallet, and never had a chance to do anything with it.

That brings me to my question. I think I have decided to sell the motor, and I am planning to take it to an engine shop so they can crank it on a stand. They have talked about doing an oil pressure test and a compression test. I plan to video the engine running. What else would you recommend I do (or have them do) while they have the motor on the stand to put a potential buyer at ease with the motor? Different tests? Open the bottom end to inspect? From what I have gathered, I think the machine shop plans to give it a clean bill of health if it does well on the two test and runs well. They are expecting the run to cost $170-200.

Thanks for taking the time to read my long post. I appreciate any input you may have.

Mike
Mike's money pit is offline   Reply With Quote