The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Hardesty454

6 lug to 5 lug conversion

Hey all!
Im currently gather parts for my suspension. I have a 69 frame with the 6 lug pattern front and back. To swap the fronts I believe all that needs changing is the spindles and rotors correct?

What about the rear? I have 6 lug drums currently. Do I need to buy a 5 lug rear end or is there a kit I can purchase for what I have? Im fairly new to suspension and all the little parts that go into the different set ups. There is a board member that is getting rid of the front set up and rear end out of a 72 but Im not sure if it will be a waste of money for me since I will be putting a drop spindle and and new brakes up front any way.

Thanks guys!

1971 c10 - ground up in progress

Tripp's Speed Shop Build -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589750
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: 6 lug to 5 lug conversion

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...68&postcount=4

There are five lug axle shafts (Mosler) you can use to convert your existing housing and use five lug drums with your existing backing plates. A lot depends on the condition and ratio of the two rear axle assemblies. The later rear axles 71-72 are a little wider to match up to the wider front disc brake track.

Last edited by SS Tim; 05-02-2013 at 09:07 PM.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
tmc1986

i wont be able to help much because i am in the same predicament. i have heard of kit for the back to change it to a 5 lug, but i think its acts kind of like a wheel spacer. i dont have much clearance now so i dont know how that will work. if you got room in the rear fender wells something like that might work
Old 05-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
TBONE1964
Cluster King

http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodin...number=RAC6569

The link SS Tim provided is excellent material for the front side. A lot of work and research went into that and I am thankful for it.

Here is what you need for the rear and be able to keep the 69 rear end in the truck. I just used the link as a reference and I am not suggesting one vendor over another.

You will need a disc brake style master cylinder also.

Also, using a wheel spacer to change a bolt pattern is not a good idea. If you are using spacers to space the wheel out that is OK but NEVER to change a bolt pattern.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
tmc1986

i just found these 6 lug rotors that will fit on your disc brake conversion kit spindles. then you'll have 6 lug discs up front and you dont have to do anything to the back axle. this is what ill probably be doing with mine. i really dont want to screw with that back axle or wheel adapters
Old 05-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
Hardesty454

Thanks guys. I currently have 6 lug discs in the front. So I'm mostly concerned with the rear end!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 05-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
Hardesty454

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodin...number=RAC6569

The link SS Tim provided is excellent material for the front side. A lot of work and research went into that and I am thankful for it.

Here is what you need for the rear and be able to keep the 69 rear end in the truck. I just used the link as a reference and I am not suggesting one vendor over another.

You will need a disc brake style master cylinder also.

Also, using a wheel spacer to change a bolt pattern is not a good idea. If you are using spacers to space the wheel out that is OK but NEVER to change a bolt pattern.

Ok, cpp makes a conversion kit like this as well. They also have a kit that adapts for rear disc. If I purchase the rear end from this board member, I'll only need one kit rather than two for the rear end I have. Awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 05-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
Robznob11

just buy new axles and use truck drums for 5on5 car for 5 on 4.75 moser can make them with either pattern. mine are car and they slid right in
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:09 AM   #9
tmc1986

edit. im retarded. sorry for reposting this
Old 05-03-2013, 03:19 AM   #10
Hawssie

I know this may be a dumb question but what are the advantages of converting to 5 lug? I assume wheel choices? Is that really it? You can get six lug brake discs right? I am asking because I will be going through the same decision and I dont want to post this as a thread. I have a 1970 and will be measuring my axle tomorrow just so i know what boat i am in if need be(55.5 or 57"). I am not interested in any wheel larger then a 17 more likely just 15's kinda an old school lowered look. But if it is advantages to go 5 lug I have no problem doing it and I will need to decide soon so what are the real reasons?
Hawssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:17 AM   #11
Sammy

The newer easier up to date front disc brake system was the reason for the 5 lug conversion. This also gives you the chance of doing the spindle and the lowered spring drop correctly. Main reason for also converting the rear to 5 lug is to maintain the same 5 lug pattern. Now add in the wider range of 5 lug wheel patterns.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #12
Robznob11

Talking Re: 6 lug to 5 lug conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawssie View Post
I know this may be a dumb question but what are the advantages of converting to 5 lug? I assume wheel choices? Is that really it? You can get six lug brake discs right? I am asking because I will be going through the same decision and I dont want to post this as a thread. I have a 1970 and will be measuring my axle tomorrow just so i know what boat i am in if need be(55.5 or 57"). I am not interested in any wheel larger then a 17 more likely just 15's kinda an old school lowered look. But if it is advantages to go 5 lug I have no problem doing it and I will need to decide soon so what are the real reasons?
I converted mine to 5 so that i would have 5 all around. But the main reason was for wheel choices! Car rims expically the wide ones with deep back space are a dime a dozen, they can be found used or they are dirt cheap new! Its because so many were made! To tuck this much tire with a truck bolt pattern 5or6 lug requires high dollar custom rims and i was not going to give 1200 each for rear shooes i only have 800 in my wheels and tires out back ,mostly the tires caus wheels were used! Now on the flip side of that in big rims i think the 6 lug would be more common but i dont know if old 6 is the same as new 6 pattern
Posted via Mobile Device
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #13
Hawssie

I suppose even though it costs money to convert in the long run its cheaper, esp. if you change out your rims more then once.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:39 AM   #14
Hawssie

One more question, what are the factory applications for a 6 lug 2wd disc brake rotors. I ask this thinking if I was to stay with six lug and add disc brakes, and I was to go to the local parts store, what year would I source these from? Was 6 lug 2wd offered in certain applications from 72-87? I know 6 lug was the standard for 4wd half tons but of course they are completely different rotors.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #15
BAT
Account Suspended

Swapping from 6 lug axles to 5 lug axles is about a 10 minute job. Simply remove the pinion bolt and push in on the axles and the C-clip will drop right out. Pull out the axle and put in the new one. Now... I reccommend doing it with 2 people and that you pay close attention to the orientation of the C-clip and either catch it when if falls or have a magnetic retriever handy while your helper pushes in on the axle. I did mine by myself and the C-clip fell in the bottom of the rear end (it was out of the truck). When I turned it to let the clip fall out, the spider gear came out with it... It was a real PITA, talk about lesson learned!
BAT is offline   Reply With Quote