The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
OneWheelPeel

Question for those running Hotchkis TVS or Control Arms

I'm in the process of researching parts for my '70 SWB build. I'm pretty set on using the Hotchis TVS but I'm running into a bit of an issue deciding what set-up to go with in the front. I recently picked up a '71 parts truck, which further muddys the waters. I still have not decided on what disc brake conversion kit to go with.

I see the options as follows;
1) Use the '71 spindles and order the special ball joints for the upper control arms. I think I will need a 5/8" tie rod as well.

2) Use stock height '73-'87 spindles and tie-rods.

3) Use CPP modular spindles and '73-'87 tie-rods.

The issues I have with option 1 is the special ball joint. I'd hate to have to order a special part if I ever needed it in the furture, especially if they stop being produced.

For option 2 I'm concerned about the added width of the newer model spindles. I would like to run as wide a tire / wheel in front as possible and fear this would limit me. I've seen that a member was running 285 front tires on 10" wide wheels with this kit, not sure what the other specs were. I'm hoping a 285/35-20 on a 10" wheel will fit.

For option 3 the built in 2" drop of the spindle does not seem to work with the supplied 4" drop springs. 6-6.5" static front drop seems extreme and not useable to me.

SO what have those that use this kit done?
-adapted the '71-72 parts to work?
-if you use the '73+ spindles what width / backspace wheel/tire combo are you limited to?
-with the modular spindles did you swap out to the 2" drop springs?

Thanks for any input on whats been done and confirmed to work!
OneWheelPeel is offline   Reply With Quote