The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
bloodybigblock

help me find this miss in my 305 please!!!

Okay so I have a 305 that is all stock minus a holley carb. When I first got the truck it would sputter at any cruising speed. I fixed the vacuum advance and a vacuum leak under the carb. After that was fixed and I drove it, it has a miss now. I checked for every vacuum leak and they turned out good. The plug wires aren't on the manifolds. I pulled the plug wire for each while running and number 6 was getting spark but didn't change the idle. Compression on that was good and I changed the plug and wire and still doing the same thing. Then changed the rotor button and cap with no luck still. I do know at higher rpm you cant tell it has a miss and you cant really tell at idle, just when you give it gas. Like I said, I cant tell any issue at cruising speed. Anything else I can check. I'm losing my mind. Thanks guys
bloodybigblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: help me find this miss in my 305 please!!!

No, you ain't losing your mind. A miss is not an easy thing to diagnose unless you're lucky or have expensive equipment to diagnose. Most idle misses are hard to detect at higher rpm's but it could be internal engine related like valve spring, cam or valves themselves. May even be bad gas.

Most of the time I've diagnosed a miss on my old trucks it's turned out to be carb adjustments, ignition or vacuum leak type stuff. One time I had an elusive miss that turned out to be a new defective spark plug. I swapped plugs one by one and found the culprit. Last couple of time have been an intake gasket leak on my 250 engine and an idle air adjustment on my 350.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
geezer#99

Pull the vac hose off your distributor and plug it and then see what it does. Could have too much advance at low rpm.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

have you blocked off any hoses?
my 79s large line ,carb base to charcoal cannister was split along the bottom,others too.

hows the fuel pump?
my 78 had rusty gunk between the pump and the Holley carb,removed line and cleaned out.

gas flow ok?
my 79 had a cracked sender/return lines,could see fuel vapours/spitting over the tank

i've also noticed that the small tubes for hoses can loosen up,slightly pull out
(from the stock carb) as we wiggle the hoses on off
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote