The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
mookiex4

Question Clutch will not release. Friction Disc in Backwards?

Hi all,

I finally got my 327 running in my 65 GMC. It was quite a conversion from the old 305 V6. The kids at my local High School auto shop used it for a project since I know the instructor. School ended and they didn't have time to wrap everything up so I finished it through the summer.

Now that it is running the way I want it, I have another issue and then I can drive it. I push in the clutch pedal and nothing happens. There is just a lot of tension and the rod from the pedal to the Bell Crank flexes. I have gone through it and everything is moving the way it is supposed to with the exception that it will not press the pressure plate to release the disc.

I feel like I know that answer but wanted some input. I believe that the kids put the friction disc in backwards and not there is no movement to release the friction disc. I am sure I will be dropping the transmission this weekend to find that one out. Thanks for any other input that you all may have.
mookiex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
ky-donzi

Re: Clutch will not release. Friction Disc in Backwards?

Sounds like it,......put it in gear, and push the clutch in and start it, should make all kinds of noise and about half way pull... That's what mine did.....never talk on the phone while doing something that can be installed backward....ask me how I know
Posted via Mobile Device

73 k5 gm crate 350-265 / sm465 / np205 3.73 posi
ky-donzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
mookiex4

Re: Clutch will not release. Friction Disc in Backwards?

After I went through all of the connections and adjustments, I started it out of gear so it wouldn't be heading through our house. i push in the clutch and it just makes a whining noise like it want to go into gear but wont. It is not getting the release like it should I know there is nothing wrong with the tranny because it is the one that i already had in the truck. Oh yeah and how is it you know to stay off of the phone. HAHA.. Been there done that. It seems to be the easiest thing to install backwards the the biggest pain to flip it around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky-donzi View Post
Sounds like it,......put it in gear, and push the clutch in and start it, should make all kinds of noise and about half way pull... That's what mine did.....never talk on the phone while doing something that can be installed backward....ask me how I know
Posted via Mobile Device
mookiex4 is offline   Reply With Quote