The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
ChevyCruizer
17's too small

PorterBuilt dropmember LSx driveline angle/height

I need help with my PorterBuilt extreme dropmember with a Lsx engine. I was trying to set the driveline angle today and when set at 3 degrees it looks like the back of the transmission is way too high. I have the frame set to 0 and set the tranny at 3 degrees. I tried looking around at other posts and it is hard to see but I think I might have the wrong motor mounts. Im thinking maybe I have the non extreme mounts because it looks like my motor is high in the frame. This mock up motor still has a truck pan on it and it does not extend below the dropmember. Im trying to contact PorterBuilt but thought I might get a faster answer here.

Thanks for any help/comments.

John
Attached Images

68 C10 SWB SS 5 lug power disc brake conversion 2.5 inch drop spindles van tilt column Air Ride Technologies Cool Ride air bag kits Performance Online tubular upper control arms and shock relocator kits ECE super track panhard bar 1 piece side windows
ChevyCruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
jtp67-72

Re: PorterBuilt dropmember LSx driveline angle/height

here's mine with camaro pan and rack installed..i'm out of town but can measure mine mon.......jim
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
ChevyCruizer
17's too small

Jim, yes those measurements will help. I looked over your build and I see that you went with lower truss brackets. My mockup motor/tranny is a 5.3 with a 700r4 case and from everthing I have read that combo should have plenty of clearance against the floor board, unlike your 4L80. This picture is another forum members set-up and his tranny crossmember is mounted at the very bottom of the frame. I would have to have mine at the very top and still possibly have to install some spacers to reach.

I have a phone call and email in to PB, so I am interested in what the say.

Thanks, John

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtp67-72 View Post
here's mine with camaro pan and rack installed..i'm out of town but can measure mine mon.......jim
Attached Images

68 C10 SWB SS 5 lug power disc brake conversion 2.5 inch drop spindles van tilt column Air Ride Technologies Cool Ride air bag kits Performance Online tubular upper control arms and shock relocator kits ECE super track panhard bar 1 piece side windows
Old 09-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCruizer View Post
Jim, yes those measurements will help. I looked over your build and I see that you went with lower truss brackets. My mockup motor/tranny is a 5.3 with a 700r4 case and from everthing I have read that combo should have plenty of clearance against the floor board, unlike your 4L80. This picture is another forum members set-up and his tranny crossmember is mounted at the very bottom of the frame. I would have to have mine at the very top and still possibly have to install some spacers to reach.

I have a phone call and email in to PB, so I am interested in what the say.

Thanks, John
John-

The angle of the trans needs to be right at 5 degrees to get all the angles to line up and function properly. Also, we have several different options on motor mounts... so we can tweak as necessary to get your set-up right where you want it.

Here's what you need to do... you can't run the truck pan with the Dropmember... the front of the pan is too deep and will hit the rack.

Switch it over to the F-body pan from 98-2002.

Once the correct pan is in place, install the rack and let's see how much room we have between it and the rack (as this is where our clearance is limited). If we have room to move down... let us know and we can send out some different mounts, different truss tabs, or a combination of the two. Whatever we need to do.

Let's get the correct pan in place and set the rack in to confirm clearance there, then we can make adjustments if necessary.

Nate

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
ChevyCruizer
17's too small

Nate,

Thanks for the reply. I do have a F-body pan here. I will put it on and get some measurements/photos tomorrow.

Thanks, John
Old 09-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
ChevyCruizer
17's too small

F-body pan and rack temp installed. Pictures to follow.

1 - angle of frame 0
2 - set driveline at 5
3 - shows that tranny sits above frame. That is a 3/4 OD pipe
4 - same pipe slid on top of lower control arm mounts agains F-body pan

More in next post.

Thanks, John
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
ChevyCruizer
17's too small

4 more photos.

1 - Measurement on front of balancer down to rack
2 - Tape measure is 3/4 in think
3 - Pan to rack clearance
4 - Drive shaft temp installed to view ange. Tranny pan gasket is above frame

One more set of photos to come.

Thanks, John
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
ChevyCruizer
17's too small

Last set of photos.

1 - drive shaft is almost centered in crossmember, maybe a little closer to the top
2 - angle of forward drive shaft is 10 degrees
3 - picture of front of engine

If there are any other measurements or pictures you want please let me know.

Thanks, John
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I think most people run a 2" spacer under the carrier bearing.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
PBFAB.COM

From what I see, we should be able to get away going one inch lower with a new set of perches. Let me know if I am missing something, or if it looks like there will be adequate clearance.

Send me a PM with your info and I will have Dave give you a buzz later to get the new mounts in line. Or you can email him directly @ porterbuiltdirect@gmail.com

Nate

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 09-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #11
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
I think most people run a 2" spacer under the carrier bearing.
Correct... the 2 piece TAXM you have is used on several different applications, and it will be necessary to use a spacer. Let's get the motor down a little lower and then we can help you dial in the amount of spacer you need to get the driveshaft angles where they need to be.

Nate

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 09-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #12
ChevyCruizer
17's too small

Nate,

I sent you a PM with all of my information.

Thanks, John
Old 09-11-2013, 03:31 AM   #13
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

I have noticed a few people, not many but a few, having issues with dropmembers and driveline angles. Yet, If you ask n2billet, he will tell you it's perfect every time. It seems to me that if an individual is using eng/trans combo "X" then the engine stand and transmission crossmember heights should be standard when compared to a like combination. Are there too simply many combinations to collect and publish the data? I am planning to use the coilover version in my truck with a 5.3L/4L60E (I already have the stage 2 rear with coilovers waiting to be installed) but the issues with driveline angles have my confidence a little shaken.

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green
My Old Farm Truck SOLD
C10_ustacould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #14
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucks68 View Post
I have noticed a few people, not many but a few, having issues with dropmembers and driveline angles. Yet, If you ask n2billet, he will tell you it's perfect every time. It seems to me that if an individual is using eng/trans combo "X" then the engine stand and transmission crossmember heights should be standard when compared to a like combination. Are there too simply many combinations to collect and publish the data? I am planning to use the coilover version in my truck with a 5.3L/4L60E (I already have the stage 2 rear with coilovers waiting to be installed) but the issues with driveline angles have my confidence a little shaken.
The only "difficulties" in regards to driveline angles are found when running the extreme version of the Dropmember. It's not necessarily a difficulty, but more of a "nature of the beast". It really isn't as complicated as it may appear to be at times. As for putting together a detailed synopsis regarding dialing in the angles, its often better explained in voice rather than written. I do have plans to spend some time and install the most popular drivetrain combos so we can provide a more detailed overview in regards to the driveline. Until then its as simple as giving us a call so we can explain the best method to go about setting up the angles.

Nate
Posted via Mobile Device

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 09-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #15
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Nate,... would it be possible to develop a "correct" carrier bearing spacer for each version?
Also maybe locate the trans crossmember off the bottom of the inside of the frame rail?

That way the trans crossmember is ALWAYS at the correct height, and the carrier bearing is always correct,... in relationship to the correct engine mounts.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Nate,... would it be possible to develop a "correct" carrier bearing spacer for each version?
Also maybe locate the trans crossmember off the bottom of the inside of the frame rail?

That way the trans crossmember is ALWAYS at the correct height, and the carrier bearing is always correct,... in relationship to the correct engine mounts.
I have plans to do this.... install each of the most popular engine combos and provide some more detailed information along with offering drive-lines and spacers as a another product to the line. We will also be mocking up an exhaust system with plans of reproduction as well.

That way we will be able to provide part numbers and or supply the specific oil pan, headers, exhaust, drive-shaft, carrier bearing, carrier bearing spacer... etc. Our goal is to be able to make it as turn-key for our customers as possible.

Nate

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 09-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #17
C10_ustacould

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods View Post
The only "difficulties" in regards to driveline angles are found when running the extreme version of the Dropmember. It's not necessarily a difficulty, but more of a "nature of the beast". It really isn't as complicated as it may appear to be at times. As for putting together a detailed synopsis regarding dialing in the angles, its often better explained in voice rather than written. I do have plans to spend some time and install the most popular drivetrain combos so we can provide a more detailed overview in regards to the driveline. Until then its as simple as giving us a call so we can explain the best method to go about setting up the angles.

Nate
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
I have plans to do this.... install each of the most popular engine combos and provide some more detailed information along with offering drive-lines and spacers as a another product to the line. We will also be mocking up an exhaust system with plans of reproduction as well.

That way we will be able to provide part numbers and or supply the specific oil pan, headers, exhaust, drive-shaft, carrier bearing, carrier bearing spacer... etc. Our goal is to be able to make it as turn-key for our customers as possible.

Nate
News of the new products is good to hear... err... read! There is no doubt that PB products are well thought out and well built, and these additions to your product line will greatly simplify the installation process for the guy who is building his truck in the garage versus a professional shop.

While I understand what you are saying about "the nature of the beast", and that things are often explained more successfully verbally, I have a customer perspective that I think is important for you to hear... err... read. There are two empirical facts that must be understood; Your time is limited when compared to the number of customers you have, and my time is very precious to me given the number of responsibilities I have. I have been very fortunate in my communications with you, but others have not been so lucky. That is not to say you neglected them, it is to say that when some are in their garage/shop ready to install their PB products and need help to complete the next step you may not be available. This is understandable, there are only 24 hours in your day and you have other responsibilities, no one can dispute this. On the other hand, when I am ready to work on my truck I don't want to have to stop and research an answer that could be easily explained in written, picture, or video form. It creates what we in the production career field call a "single point of failure" in the installation process. This is what sparked a conversation I had while installing an extreme version in another board members truck. We discussed the number of dropmembers that were out there bruising the streets (yes I meant bruising... tearing them up! ) and the fact that there were still "unknowns" associated with the install. We wondered why there weren't instructions or even youtube videos to explain setting the driveline angles and/or building a carrier bearing spacer. There are members on this board that have built possibly dozens of dropmember chassis, so the information must be available. Can't this information be incorporated into existing instructions? Why should you have to mock up each combination when others have already done it, and probably documented it in pictures. I guess the point is that there is now a community of dropmember owners and it is possible they have all the information others may need, it just needs to be shared so that a customer doesn't have to pick your brain every time he gets to a certain step. Maybe the collection and presentation of this information needs to take a place before the development of new products, in an effort to free up some of your time in the future. This is just my perspective, my 2¢, but I hope the message is received as it was intended, to be helpful. I am excited to get my PB gear installed and bruising the roads, and I am excited to see what you have planned for us next!

Milly

The Old Girl

Ellie SOLD

Shiro SOLD

My Old Farm Truck SOLD
Old 09-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #18
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucks68 View Post
News of the new products is good to hear... err... read! There is no doubt that PB products are well thought out and well built, and these additions to your product line will greatly simplify the installation process for the guy who is building his truck in the garage versus a professional shop.

While I understand what you are saying about "the nature of the beast", and that things are often explained more successfully verbally, I have a customer perspective that I think is important for you to hear... err... read. There are two empirical facts that must be understood; Your time is limited when compared to the number of customers you have, and my time is very precious to me given the number of responsibilities I have. I have been very fortunate in my communications with you, but others have not been so lucky. That is not to say you neglected them, it is to say that when some are in their garage/shop ready to install their PB products and need help to complete the next step you may not be available. This is understandable, there are only 24 hours in your day and you have other responsibilities, no one can dispute this. On the other hand, when I am ready to work on my truck I don't want to have to stop and research an answer that could be easily explained in written, picture, or video form. It creates what we in the production career field call a "single point of failure" in the installation process. This is what sparked a conversation I had while installing an extreme version in another board members truck. We discussed the number of dropmembers that were out there bruising the streets (yes I meant bruising... tearing them up! ) and the fact that there were still "unknowns" associated with the install. We wondered why there weren't instructions or even youtube videos to explain setting the driveline angles and/or building a carrier bearing spacer. There are members on this board that have built possibly dozens of dropmember chassis, so the information must be available. Can't this information be incorporated into existing instructions? Why should you have to mock up each combination when others have already done it, and probably documented it in pictures. I guess the point is that there is now a community of dropmember owners and it is possible they have all the information others may need, it just needs to be shared so that a customer doesn't have to pick your brain every time he gets to a certain step. Maybe the collection and presentation of this information needs to take a place before the development of new products, in an effort to free up some of your time in the future. This is just my perspective, my 2¢, but I hope the message is received as it was intended, to be helpful. I am excited to get my PB gear installed and bruising the roads, and I am excited to see what you have planned for us next!

Short answer.... yes, yes, and yes.

Revised instructions are in the works as well. Along with plans for some you-tube videos etc. I will be killing two birds with one stone as I work through installations and continued product development/additions to the line. We will get there... don't worry.

Although I would classify our business as being successful, there are still a few areas that I would consider to be in need of improvement.... we know what they are, and we are working on getting them where we want them to be.

I take your comments and constructive criticism as it is intended. I am always looking for ways to make things better and more efficient, and I welcome any and all feedback positive and or negative.

Nate

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 09-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #19
jtp67-72

I've got the 1" shorter ls mounts and they work great...Still the ls3 is"taller" in the chassis for this reason....Look at the bellhousing flange on SBC and then lsx....over 2" higher on ls...with the engine mounting bosses being almost same position...therefore ls sits taller when it comes to centerlines ...although the shaft angles are workable....My pet peave with ls is the 5* look ....like its about to fall out of engine bay...Sbc has 3-4* built in carb flange so at least carb/air cleaner look level....just my 2 cents and I'm stayin with ls3..jim
Old 09-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #20
C10_ustacould

Quote:
Short answer.... yes, yes, and yes.

Revised instructions are in the works as well. Along with plans for some you-tube videos etc. I will be killing two birds with one stone as I work through installations and continued product development/additions to the line. We will get there... don't worry.

Although I would classify our business as being successful, there are still a few areas that I would consider to be in need of improvement.... we know what they are, and we are working on getting them where we want them to be.

I take your comments and constructive criticism as it is intended. I am always looking for ways to make things better and more efficient, and I welcome any and all feedback positive and or negative.

Nate
This kind of open and honest dialogue is why PB is the beez-kneez! The shear volume of orders is a solid indicator that PB is a successful business, and this discussion is proof it will stay that way, you rock Nate!

Milly

The Old Girl

Ellie SOLD

Shiro SOLD

My Old Farm Truck SOLD
Old 09-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #21
jtp67-72

^^^^^x2
Old 09-16-2013, 02:40 AM   #22
Valhalla

Nate has always been great with my questions as well!

But I work crazy hours and I'm often am working in my PB rigged truck at 3am. I would never blow up someone's phone or email at that time. My first drop member install has been a real learning curve. The current instructions are more like an overview than a step by step. But that is part if the process ya know!!!!! Learning the truck and the products.

But next time ill do the extreme front and rear so I'm sure ill need more help then!
Posted via Mobile Device

Cheap work is never good and good work is never cheap. Lesson = learn to do it all the right way on your own.

SqueegeeMan
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote