The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
1968k10blue

A little story for you all

Okay, so I went to the bank today to get some money (I dont have a debit card), and of course I drove my 68 there. On my way back I heard sirens, (not after me thank god) but I looked over to my left and noticed a truck and trailer jackknifed in the middle of an intersection, and just thought it was a jackknifed truck and trailer. On closer inspection I noticed it was a newer (06-present) ford, and as I drove by I noticed that his driveshaft was scattered across the road. Not to be "The Chevy Guy" even though I am, I thought it was funny that it was a fairly new ford with a broken driveshaft. although my dad has a 97 ford f-250 that isnt that bad, I thought Chevys were always practical not fancy. Well this concludes my rant for the day, have yourselves a wonderful night!
1968k10blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
wreckedchevy

Re: A little story for you all

mom jack knifed her ford and horse trailer once can't believe they walked away from it (glad they did)
Old 09-28-2013, 12:57 AM   #3
Syndrome

How do you not have a debit card? ..Yes, thats the most intriguing part of your whole story to me.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:14 AM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
How do you not have a debit card? ..Yes, thats the most intriguing part of your whole story to me.
Just like a smart phone, not everyone has one...... even though the folks who do have 'em can't understand those who don't.

I was around long before either of those things were created, and we all got along just fine without 'em. Believe it or not.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #5
In The Ten Ring

I don't have a smart phone, a kindle, GPS, a tablet...don't have those and I don't want those. I don't even like "daytime running lights" and would have it removed from any car I owned.

Most of my friends scratch their heads at that....and I do the same for some things I do yet most people do not. Among the many things I carry on my person each time I leave the house is a handkerchief. If on occasion I forget it, I worry about not having it all day. It's what we're used to and find necessary to live.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:49 AM   #6
1968k10blue

I don't have a debit card cause I'm 17 and my parents won't let me have one, even though my brother had one shortly after he got his job at 15. And I agree with everyone else who posted, to some people these thing aren't necessity, but to me if I didn't have my computer and phone I don't know what I would do all day besides work on my truck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2013, 01:53 AM   #7
1968k10blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckedchevy View Post
mom jack knifed her ford and horse trailer once can't believe they walked away from it (glad they did)
Sorry to hear about that, glad she was okay though! The one I saw today wasn't nearly as bad I think the secretary hit the ground and caused the truck to jump, but that's just a guess. When did the event with your mom happen?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2013, 02:11 AM   #8
wreckedchevy

had to have been late 90's that's the first gen power stroke and I know it wasn't real old when it happened. lost control on a gravel road tried to slam on the brakes too hard and jacked knife and the goose neck trail went over the truck. insurance company sold it to a local salvage yard site unseen, should have seen that guys face when he saw what was left!
Old 09-28-2013, 02:57 AM   #9
PAWS 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Just like a smart phone, not everyone has one...... even though the folks who do have 'em can't understand those who don't.

I was around long before either of those things were created, and we all got along just fine without 'em. Believe it or not.
Stocker me too.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I have a Kindle,a debit card and a flip phone.Ole what's'er name gifted me with a smart phone once.I would be walking along with it in it's case,in my pocket and anything else on my mind.Suddenly it would start playing the theme from "I love Lucy" or "Andy Griffith".It had TV capability and would ghost to whatever it wanted.I spent way more time shutting it down and trying to get it to quit doing that than I did talking on it.When I went to get a new one,they were all over me to get a new one.I found a flip phone and asked about it.They started telling me all the things it wouldn't do.I stopped the kid and asked"Can I call my wife?Can she call me?'He said,"Yes".I said that's all I need.
The Kindle was also a gift and I use it constantly since I read 3-5 books most weeks.It's really saved a lot on book cost,opened the number of authors who wouldn't have been published in a tradition book and saved tons of storage for book shelves.
I carry a wallet,a pocketknife(Gerber Paraframe),keys,a6 ft tape measure(mini style) and a hankercheif,oh and that darned flip phone.I do have a debit card but tend to use it to get cash to make purchases with.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #11
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

I still haven't bought my first cell phone yet. I know it's coming, but not really in a hurry. I'm behind the times on technology.

As for tools and old Chevy's, I'd give anyone a run for their money on who has the most! LOL

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

They come out with new consumer products,the world shapes itself around it,then people make you feel like there's some kind of law against not having it. I cash checks and only put what I need to cover checks in the bank. That's how I chose to operate. Why give the bank your money to give back to you,is my question? Cash is still legal tender,right? People look at you like you're crazy writing a check,too.
My 3 year old cell phone just lost it's screen,so I got a new one. I only talk and text a limited few. I was eligible for an upgrade and I chose to go backwards. I got a flip phone made to be rugged (military specs) that allows 9 hours of talk time on the battery. Mine spends it's day in my nail belt and seeing they finally make a phone for us working men has been a long time coming. This weekend I was with my buddy overnight (Friday/Sat) at a truck show. He's saying I'm nuts and I should have gotten a smart phone. Saturday morning his phone went dead and mine still showed full charge. By the time he figures out how to use all it's capabilities it will be broken. I don't even have a key pad,so texting is a PIA. It's like going from PS3 back to Pong! I had my regrets but it's just what I need.
I'm going through a screw computers stage right now. My e-mail account doesn't recognize my user name and password,which THEY automatically typed in! I have all my info written down,typed it in,and it still won't accept it. I try to get help and they assume I have a smart phone...ARGH!! I have them text me a security code,I type that in,and they tell me it's wrong!! We now rely on e-mail as a necessity,yet this happens and I can't even access it! There's no number to call and all the choices on their menu take me around in circles going nowhere. I hate that crap and I volunteered for it??? No thanks!
You get your Amazon card bill and under description it says "Amazon" and their location,not who you actually bought from and where they are. That's a description? I know it was an Amazon purchase,it's my Amazon card! I had to call because I didn't recall what it was (the reason for "description") and want to pay...once I know what it was. They offer nothing that pertains on their menu,so I talk to an operator. They give me some other number to call that isn't given on my bill. Why all the smoke and mirrors? They say I can find out online. But,I am on the PHONE and reading the bill MAILED to me,not at my computer. Just put the description on the bill where you typed worthless information and none of this would be necessary...as it's been all my life! I thought this was the age of communication.
I don't care what the rest of the world does or thinks,I will always feel that hands on is better than fingers on a keypad. The system will never be perfect. You can survive w/o computers,but can never use them to survive.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-29-2013 at 10:10 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #13
Syndrome

Debit cards are just very convenient. I can see people not liking computers or smart phones, but a debit card can make your purchasing easier and simpler. Plus if you ever get mugged you don't lose money.

special-K, I too work in construction, but I've got a smart phone, and its held up very nicely. I've dropped it from 16 feet onto concrete and it didn't do anything to it. It rides around in my tool bags for 8 hours a day as well.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #14
In The Ten Ring

I stopped using a debt card because I heard it has less fraud protection than a credit card.

I normally wear a gun on my belt as well. That along with pepper spray, alertness, and the willingness to be "authoritative" has kept the robbers at bay, quite literally, twice. ;-) It's almost like, even in superior numbers, they don't want to get sprayed or shot! Who would have thought? LOL
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #15
davischevy

And all this stemmed from a broken driveshaft in a Ford in Minnesota.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #16
Spartan

That early powerstroke was a good power plant. Too bad a guy couldnt mate it to the good allison tranny.

I dont have a debit card or a credit card. I dont buy things on loan either. I have a smart phone. They want the security codes because they are data mining, for phone numbers and alternate email addresses. But Itrust email companies, banks and the government about the same which is why I deal face to face and pay cash, silver and gold if I can.
Which is why I love these early chevy trucks. They are simple and well built workhorses with a touch of style and finesse. The plus is theres no computer to blow after an EMP

All in all though glad your mom came out safe... thats what really matters.

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #17
oklalawnboy

Haha he said "pong". I haven't heard that in 45 years!
76 Monte Carlo
83 Chevy short wide Silverado
96 Mazda Miata, 2000 Allegro Bus
oklalawnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:00 AM   #18
1968k10blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
Yep, it's amazing what can be skewed in another direction
Old 09-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #19
68bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post

and from a bunch of guys using an online forum who are into old trucks... seems ironic on one hand. on the other it sort of makes sense. can't imagine life without the technology, but sure do miss simpler times.

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote