The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2015, 12:54 AM   #1
benbloom

Finding a new carburetor is hell, please help guys!

Hi everyone, it is time to replace my carburetor, ive been running a quadrajett on my 350 small block for about 5 months before it started to dump fuel and was deemed unsalvageable. I also had a qjett before that, that gave me problems.

I understand that there is a general opinion that qjetts are the best carbs when rebuilt right, but ive been very surprised that there is no other option out there besides edlbrocks and hollys, both of which have terrible reputations and require some modifications. so, what would you do, try to find a place to rebuild the quadrajett, or is there a better carburetor out there for me. any input is appreciated. i live in the sf bay area, if anyone knows of anywhere near that does caring qjett rebuilds.

as always, thanks guys!
benbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:06 AM   #2
picklito

Re: Finding a new carburetor is hell, please help guys!

I went through this same problem recently. I can do my own Qjets and have used them for years. But unless they're right they can have you chasing settings for a very long time. This time I decided to do something different, and went with a Demon 1901. It's the best-running out of the box carb I've ever used. Absolutely love it. I did use an adapter plate to mount it onto the stock cast iron intake, but it was SO worth it.
picklito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:14 AM   #3
benbloom

thanks man! looks promising, il definitely look more into that. did it fit onto your speak bore manifold?
Old 09-16-2015, 09:05 AM   #4
Mike C

Make sure the rest of your fuel system is in good shape and not full of rust. Filter filter and filter. Q-jets are amazingly reliable so it's odd that you've had catastrophic failures.

I have a couple of JET stage II Q-jets and more recently bought a Summit house brand and all have been excellent FWIW.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:10 AM   #5
geezer#99

Excellent carbs from smi.
I've had a couple.
And they're close by.
https://www.smicarburetor.com/
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #6
brown7373

X2 on Q-jet reliability. I currently have 3 old vehicles running them and they are great. I too learned long ago to build them myself. First I bought Doug Roe's book, then bought Cliff Ruggles' book when it came out. First, you need a decent carb to start with. If you have one that some idiot tightened to 30 lbs. ft. and warped the air horn, it will never work. Some carbs have leaking plugs, but that is not difficult to fix (Cliff's book) and I do it on ALL my carbs. Finally, don't buy a parts store rebuilt kit. Spend a couple bucks more and buy a quality kit from Cliff.
brown7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #7
leftybass209

There are actually a few different manufacturers of carbs, but they're all based on just a couple design principles and some manufacturers pull off the concepts better.

Forget what you heard about Edelbrock or Holley. Only people that can't tune, don't understand them, or neglect to follow instructions are the ones slandering either company. All it takes is patience and education.

I do think a quadrajet is a better carb design of the 3, but I think it gets it's more solid reputation often because; it's a carb that will run despite all the things an owner neglected to fix using other carbs. I think a quad will run on a poorly set up motor, or a motor with mechanical issues mistaken for carb problems, more easily than an Edelbrock or Holley.

My experience has been ANY carb, Demon, Quad, Holley, Edelbrock, Webber, Etc... can run well given a logical and competent mechanic that learns the quirks and mysteries of the brand.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Sorry man, but I don't buy the whole "Holley and Edelbrock carbs have a bad rep" deal.

They are completely reliable and have to have minimal work done to make them work flawlessly. Q-jets, however are an exceptional carb. But they are all over 30 years old. Most have been rode hard and put up wet. So you have to put just as much money (or more) into a "new" Q-jet as you would to set up a Holley or Edelbrock carb.

I'm not a fan of Edlebrock carbs as they are just an old Weber, or Carter AFB design... which I don't care for. I've used them all and will admit that for a DD rig they are a great carb out of the box.

Being that I am more into performance engines, I use Holley carbs exclusively. Holley carbs don't need to be constantly tinkered with like the myths claim. It's actually harder to tune a Q-jet than it is a Holley. The Holley's downfall is that it is infinitely tunable. So cats don't know when to stop adjusting them and get themselves backed into a corner.

Anyways... a good Q-jet is hard to beat. But don't buy into they hype that aftermarket carbs aren't a great option. They are.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #9
Swar

I've been running 2 Edelbrock 4 barrels 1000 cfm on my 350 for almost 10 years. No problems.
Swar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #10
Ironangel

If you go with a square bore carb, you will need an adapter plate to maximize the design of the spread bore intake manifold. I have to agree with Gary in that those Holly's are a good and easy to learn carb. I bought two Quadrajets last year, one from Summit and one from Jet through Summit, both set up for 350 small blocks. The Summit carb ran for a minute and then puked, the Jet carb is still running great after 10,000+ miles. I sent the other carb to Cliff Ruggles to get rebuilt and re-calibrated for a built 396 BBC. After talking to Cliff (and he'll talk your leg off!) on the phone and giving him all the details of the big block, stall, rear gear, etc...Four weeks and $400 later I got a custom built out of the box Quadrajet that makes that big block scream! My point is this, if your going to go through the expense of purchasing a carb, go ahead and contact a reputable builder and save yourself some time, money, and headache. There are several good Quadrajet builders out there but after talking to Cliff Ruggles and researching his site and now running one of his carbs, I wont go anywhere else. He literally "wrote the book" on Quadrajets and answers his own calls. He also took the time to explain what was wrong with the Summit carb and what he did to correct it. "Forever Quadrajet's!" http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:13 PM   #11
benbloom

thanks everyone for the help!
i got the quadrate running a little better, but after all that I'm still having the same issues as before, which make me think it was not intact a carburetor issue. truck is backfiring through carb. idling rough, and spitting black smoke. i changed the oil and spark plugs, no difference. anyone have any suggestions about where to go from here? am i going to have to get a mechanic to diagnose the problem or should i be able to?
Old 09-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #12
Swar

Sounds like you need to check your timing, and make sure you don't have any wires crossed on the distributor and spark plugs.
Swar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #13
leftybass209

Check your timing!!!!! Once you checked and verified it, CHECK IT AGAIN!!!!!

timing is the one thing that many people swear is correct, until they run out of options only to check it again and find, it was wrong from the start.

It's cheap or even free to do, go rent a timing light from an auto parts store. Don't bother with the silly put your finger over the #1 plug hole trick. Verify TDC correctly, and proceed.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:25 PM   #14
vics stuff

If you are wanting a rebuilt carb I would highly recomend using National Carburetors out of Florida. They sell these dirrectly or through , Summit Racing and many auto parts stores. They do noy=t just wash these and put kits in them . They replace all throttle shafts , shaft bushings , replate all the brackets and refinnish the carb bodies and new fasteners . Did get one for my 72 and it works great. Just sent one for my 57 Chevy Belair for rebuilding. When the come back they look like new.
Just installed one on my 1986 Chevy truck. For the cost of just a gasket kit and carb dip I will send out to these guys hands down.
Vic
vics stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:33 PM   #15
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I replied in your other thread as well.

Never adjust a carb until timing is nailed down.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:59 PM   #16
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbloom View Post
Hi everyone, it is time to replace my carburetor, ive been running a quadrajett on my 350 small block for about 5 months before it started to dump fuel and was deemed unsalvageable. I also had a qjett before that, that gave me problems.

I understand that there is a general opinion that qjetts are the best carbs when rebuilt right, but ive been very surprised that there is no other option out there besides edlbrocks and hollys, both of which have terrible reputations and require some modifications. so, what would you do, try to find a place to rebuild the quadrajett, or is there a better carburetor out there for me. any input is appreciated. i live in the sf bay area, if anyone knows of anywhere near that does caring qjett rebuilds.

as always, thanks guys!
Manuel Choke Edelbrock is the least expensive way to go for me. Going on 7 years with no issues other than the occasional
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:51 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

People buy new Holleys and Edelbrocks and compare them to old Quadrajets. All carbs work nice when new. I've had them all and they all work well. I have no reason to put any down. I have never had any real grief from carburators. I prefer Quadrajets because I feel everything that came on these trucks can't be beat, time has proven these are great carbs, and the spread bore design is an idea all others should have followed. It just makes so much sense, especially in modern times. You get the best possible fuel economy cruising and get the full CFMs when you need them

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:59 PM   #18
benbloom

I wanted to give an update to you all, because i was so satisfied with the outcome. I went to The Carburetor Refactory in Richmond, got a rebuilt quadrajet and could not be more happy. It idles smooth, starts right up, and throttle response is linear and quick, it seriously almost feels like fuel injection.. i would really recommend these guys, really knowledgeable, about a week turnaround time, and rebuilt for $350!
Old 10-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #19
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swar View Post
I've been running 2 Edelbrock 4 barrels 1000 cfm on my 350 for almost 10 years. No problems.
2000 CFM of carburetion on a 350? bet that runs really well.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:50 PM   #20
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:

as always, thanks guys!
Just go to any dragstrip and stroll through the pits. You'll find Demons, Holleys, a few Edelbrocks and a few Qjets, no AFB's. Holleys are just set 'em and forget 'em. Demons are a Holley design with a few bells and whistles hung on them and the real racers use either one. No one in his right mind would run a Carter AFB.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:35 PM   #21
KRamsey07

Guys i hear ya on all out performance engines but heres a couple of tricks that work and it explains in details what to do http://www.route66hotrodhigh.com/PowerTuneQjet.html
bosshosshelp.com/Menu%20Items/quadrajet/MikeQuadrajet/quadrajet.htm
and this book is a good one How to Rebuild & Modify Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors (S-a Design) Paperback – June 15, 2006
by Cliff Ruggles (Author)

Again not saying your going to have a 1000hp engine running off of it but there are some things that work well with these
KRamsey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:15 PM   #22
hugger6933

The advise I have always given about carbs is If your racing go with a Holley, if your riding go with a Carter/Edelbrock. If your stock or very close go with a Q-Jet.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:26 PM   #23
picklito

That's good advice. My .02 would be to make sure what you have is optimized. I think we've all seen just about every brand thrown in the trash by a disgruntled owner... usually because they just don't have the right info/knowledge/skills/patience/whatever to make ''that" carb work on "this" engine. Additionally, I could give example after example of carbs delivered from the factory nicely messed up. A Holley with the rear float all the way down (rear bowl empty - "why does it fall on its face when I put it on the floor?), AFB missing a float on one side (true... really), Q-jet "fully rebuilt"... but missing the accelerator pump. All of those carbs "really sucked" according to the owners. Thinking back, that Q-jet worked really well as long as you were easy on the pedal changes. Ha Ha.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:33 PM   #24
leftybass209

Quote:
I wanted to give an update to you all, because i was so satisfied with the outcome. I went to The Carburetor Refactory in Richmond, got a rebuilt quadrajet and could not be more happy. It idles smooth, starts right up, and throttle response is linear and quick, it seriously almost feels like fuel injection.. i would really recommend these guys, really knowledgeable, about a week turnaround time, and rebuilt for $350!
That's awesome! Glad to hear you got it worked out.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:38 PM   #25
picklito

Ditto. Did that price include replating? Can you post a pic please?