The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2014, 02:02 AM   #1
fishmunger

Re-building/Cleaning Fuel Injectors in 97 vortec? Should I buy this project?

Hey guys,

So, I have a chance to pick up a 97 Silverado extended cab long bed 4x4 with the 5.7 for cheap from a friend. It's a nice clean truck with a camper shell and only 61,000 original miles! Problem is, it has sat for about 6 years, and the gas has varnished up the fuel injection system. It turns over but won't start. I think the fuel injection system will need to be cleaned and/or rebuilt, and the tank dropped and cleaned out? I don't know how big of a job this is?

I have decent mechanical skills and can read a shop manual, could I do this by myself? How long would it take and how much would I spend on parts? What if I paid someone to do it?

With what I'd pay my friend and the back registration fees I'd probably have $1200 or so into it before I start buying parts. It will need tires and some other tuning up too I'm sure.

Also, my daily driver right now is a 97 GMC extended cab short bed 2500 with a new crate motor. Really love my truck and don't 'need' another one, but seems like it may be a good opportunity to score a 'spare' truck of the same year.

What do you guys think?

thanks!
fishmunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:15 AM   #2
OARNGESI

Re: Re-building/Cleaning Fuel Injectors in 97 vortec? Should I buy this project?

the lwb is a big downside but with 60k is a big plus it may be a good parts truck. chances are if you clean the tank put a new fuel pump and filter it will be good. any idea why they parked it in the first place.
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:31 AM   #3
lha1992

Re: Re-building/Cleaning Fuel Injectors in 97 vortec? Should I buy this project?

61,000miles??? That thing isnt even near being broken in yet!!! I see these things with 200-300,000+miles on them all the time!!!

I would suggest drop the tank clean it, flush the lines an the take apart the upper intake where you see the poppet valve fuel injection system on these first gen vortex motors an replace the rubber lines an possibly soak the injectors in cleaner or replace them. Should be good to go an also put some marvel mystery oil in each cylinder to soak for a while just in case an give her a go.

Should fire up! Also change the fluids! Another option to do an this is a better one than the stupid poppet valve fuel injection that the 5.0 5.7liter vortecs have is to switch to a actual MPFI fuel injection with each injector at each cylinder. This setup was on the 454s from 1996-2000. Better engine response an reliability. That's a better option if you decide to change the injectors which will suit you better in the long run. An no mods are needed if I remember correct.

One big thing I'd suggest doing while your in there is just go ahead an change the lower intake gaskets where it meets the heads. Intake baskets in the vortecs are known to take a dump in these years.

Get all that good you got a nice truck deff!!!
lha1992 is offline   Reply With Quote