The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
stoneguy56

radio help

i have a AC Delco am fm digital cassette player. my truck has all the connections except the connector for the 2 wires that come out of the radio which are orange and brown. does anybody know where the orange and brown wires go? thanks, joe
stoneguy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: radio help

Hi Joe,

The orange wire goes to a constant +12V source. It's used by the clock and digital tuner presets. Factory wiring usually had it plugged into the "BAT" socket on the fuse box.

The brown wire goes to the parking/tail light circuit. It's used to dim the display when the lights are on. Factory wiring usually had it connected to the brown wire on the headlight switch.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
grs

get an am- fm- with a cd player.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
stoneguy56

Thanks ray......do you know if the radio will still work without them hooked up because the radio dosen't work now without them hooked up.....so my question is do they need to be hooked up for it to work.......thanks
Old 10-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
ray_mcavoy

You're welcome Joe!

Yes, the orange constant +12V wire does need to be hooked up in order for the radio to work.

I don't think the brown wire is absolutely necessary though. If I remember correctly, the display will just stay on at full brightness with that wire unhooked.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
stoneguy56

ray...Thanks again...I was starting to think something else was wrong with the radio............Have a good night.................joe
Old 10-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #7
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneguy56 View Post
Thanks ray......do you know if the radio will still work without them hooked up because the radio dosen't work now without them hooked up.....so my question is do they need to be hooked up for it to work.......thanks
I don't think it will work with out that hookup,you can power both for testing,and there are two types of plugs used back there.
I had to switch the plug on the wires for mine
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
stoneguy56

My truck i'm sure it had a am-fm casette not digital ,so there is no plug in the harness for those 2 wires ,i did get a plug end i need from another truck just didn't know where those wires went and if you needed them at all i will try hooking the orange to a battery this morning to see if it works then i will hook up the brown one....thanks guys for your help......joe.....
Old 04-19-2014, 06:00 PM   #9
DemonikKamik

Hello all ive been looking through different radio threads and i think this is the one I need Is this the same digital radio that you have?? and also Its not keeping the presets memorized how can I fix that??
and also was this a factory option or not?? new to these trucks and their history
Attached Images

DemonikKamik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:59 PM   #10
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonikKamik View Post
Hello all ive been looking through different radio threads and i think this is the one I need Is this the same digital radio that you have?? and also Its not keeping the presets memorized how can I fix that??
and also was this a factory option or not?? new to these trucks and their history
That appears to be an aftermarket radio. The original Delco digital stereos look like the bottom one in this pic:

It does sound like there is a problem with the constant +12V feed to your radio which is related to the subject of this thread.

However, being an aftermarket unit, the orange and brown color codes mentioned earlier will not apply to your radio. Instead, many aftermarket radios use a red wire for the switched +12V feed and a yellow wire for the constant +12V feed. But just to be on the safe side, it'd probably be a good idea to see if you can find a label somewhere on your radio that identifies the manufacturer & model number so you can look up the wiring diagram.

Edit: I can't quite see it clear enough in the pic to be sure, but it looks like "Realistic" printed on the face of your cassette door. If that's the case, that would have been sold through RadioShack back in the 80's or 90's.

Last edited by ray_mcavoy; 04-19-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #11
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonikKamik View Post
Most find they can use the lighter orange wire for the memory power , what colours does it have coming out?
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote