The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
69chevytruck

Voltage fluctuations with engine not running

I ran the truck for about an hour moving downed limbs, so a lot of idling. the truck died as I had burned up the fusible link at the battery.
Replaced the voltage regulator and the truck started. it ran long enough to move it out the yard. Sat for a few weeks. Started it this afternoon, it ran for a minute and burned up the fusible link to the battery.
I did the alternator conversion for an internal regulated alternator. the truck started and ran for a minute, then died. Now all accessories work, the truck cranks, but does not start. I get fluctuations in the gauges (volt and Tach) when in ACC, and a clicking noise, then it all dies. It doesn't stay live long enough to tell where the sound is coming from and I really don't want to leave the ignition on too long.
I will be checking grounds and connections.
Any reason to suspect the starter? Sometimes it clicks, doesn't engage, when I try to start the engine. Once it engages, it cranks.

Any other ideas?
Old 05-27-2014, 01:07 AM   #2
frank69

Re: Voltage fluctuations with engine not running

Sounds like u have a relay stuck probably the horn relay under dash on drivers side. It may be shorted to ground causing fusible link to fry.
frank69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:09 PM   #3
69chevytruck

Well, turns out the wiper motor had rusted out enough to fall onto the back of my ignition switch causing a short. The fluctuations were the wiper motor trying to return the wipers to the resting position.
So every time the motor moved it caused the short. With the short it didn't have power so it lifted off the terminals. Once off the terminals power was restored causing it to try and move the wipers which moved the motor back on to the terminals causing a short. And repeat.

No driving in the rain for me! But I did get a new alternator and better charging system out of the deal.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:26 AM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I have a section with the wiper mount on it that I cut out of a truck I scrapped. It's yours if you want to pay shipping on it....

Here are a couple of pictures of it....

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 05-29-2014 at 12:31 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote