The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
jmcleek

Intake manifoled and distributor size questions

This is Becca, jmcleek's daughter, and my Dad and I have just aquired a 350 77/78 engine from my school. No students have gotten into it and the teachers, the ones who knew what they were doing, supped it up with 10to1 forged pistons. We were on a budget and so we decided to let the school keep the huge holley that was on it. MY question is what size carb should we put on it and where can we find a maniforld to fit it. The distributor that is on it currently is for elctronic feul injection and we need one that is set up for standard ignition for carbs but smaller than the big unit for the hel. unit. and the manifold that is on it now is not set up for carb and it has to go back to the school sometime. Keep in mind we are also doing this on a budget.
jmcleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Intake manifoled and distributor size questions

It's pic time Becca!
Burn us off a pic of your motor so we can see what you're dealing with.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
68Gold/white

What's the reason for needing a smaller diameter distributor?

The factory HEI is a foolproof setup.

MSD makes small dia. capped dist's.

You could use an old point dist. and convert it to the pertromix breakerless essentially same as HEI, when converted. This might be the cheapest way to go...

What type of carb do you want on it???

Quadrajets are as cheap as you can find used, but will probably need work to get it dialed in, as any carb might. Stock 1968-1972 iron intakes would work fine...

All this is about as cheap $$$ wise as you will get, may require some labor to dial it in though...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
msgdsrf

Intake, you'll want the Edelbrock EPS for that 350. Best and not expensive. Pick your carb first, get the intake that matches the opening. The "universal is not really universal.

Carb, look at no more than 650cfm. Rebuilt Quadrajets are certainly good. Holley maybe more common know.

Distributor, I would too recommend Upgraded GM HEI (budget and works), not sure why you need small cap. Otherwise +2 on the Pertronix kit on used/refitted GM points distrib.
msgdsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
burnin oil

Unless you have a healthy cam in there the factory parts are best. Try and score an intake, qjet, and HEI off of a late 70s truck. The factory intake is about as good as it gets for street RPM and power, the qjet is a great mixer for milage, and the truck HEI is about the best source for decent wieghts for the timing curve. With a little shopping I bet you could get the entire setup for under $200. Might even pick up a core motor for $100-200 bucks with the parts on it already. The one thing I learned about Qjets is to use a quality rebuild kit. A good one will keep it running for years and a cheapo will have you in it every couple of months.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote