The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2014, 02:11 AM   #1
donthekawguy

Steering shaft shortening ?

I"m at the point where I need to shorten mt steering shaft. I have the captain's bracket on and the box installed. The shaft has already been shortened by the PO but the box was installed wrong so the shaft needs to be shorter. I didn't losen the column before installing the bracket and didn't mark anything. I just pushed the shaft up in the column to get to the bracket and box. It looks like the shaft is about an inch too long right now and I think I have about two more inches to play with by ajusting the column. I'm thinking about pulling the column and cutting it down about 2 inches and welding on the new adapter I will get from captainfab. I don't have a welder so pulling the column was always the plan anyway so I can take it somewhere to get it welded. Does 2 inches sound about right? I don't want to cut too much but if I do a sleeve will fix it. I don't want to leave it too long and have to cut it again.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:09 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Steering shaft shortening ?

The length of the steering column shaft needs to be set while in the truck, so that it is an accurate length.. If you get one of my tube and flanges, you can just cut the shaft an inch or so above the ragjoint. Then slide the tube and flange over the shaft, bolt it to the ragjoint, and then drill a 1/4" to 5/16" hole thru the tube and shaft, and insert a bolt and tighten. The welding can be done at a later time if need be. If you decide you want a tube and flange, let me know ahead of time so that I can be sure to have one ready for you when you stop by.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:54 PM   #3
donthekawguy

Re: Steering shaft shortening ?

Thanks John. PM sent.