The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
low&slow
Account Suspended

Bend it or Screw it

First off I don't really know which section to put this in, but it tends to deal with tools and accessories more than anything else.

So I'm getting ready to build a center console for my truck (67 c10) and it's going to be made of aluminum. I've been really pondering how to do it for the last couple weeks as the console will not be covered with vinyl, it will be left as stainless aluminum.

Now for my design, the console is going to have to be 2 pieces so it can be removed and put back in later down the road, like cutting it in half which brings me to some questions or more so some opinions.

If I screw it all together, there will be a top piece (1), (2) side pieces, and then the front half and the rear half which would also be 2 pieces which leaves me with 5+ pieces all being screwed together. Now I don't mind screwing it all together because I like the look it would give, but I don't have any square tubing to use as a frame to screw it all together which means I'd have to lap it together kinda like to the right if pushed together. > l_-l

If I just bend both sides to a 90 degree and then cut it in half, it would leave me with 2 pieces (front and rear) to be screwed together, which I'm fine with as well, but it wouldn't give me any access areas for gauges and such stuff for wiring it all once set in place.

Now as far as all that goes, I'm guessing it will be easier to just bend it, cut it, set it in place, then screw it together rather than dealing with a lot of screws, but tricky thing is, not only do I not have square tubing to do the screw idea, I don't have a bender to do the bend idea either.

Would some 2x2's of wood do just fine for a frame if I was to screw it all together or what do you guys think about all this?
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Bend it or Screw it

Thats a ton of words, for a complicated visual idea.

I'd run over to home depot and grab some 1/4" square tube in an 8ft stick for like $15. It cuts with a hack saw, and you can tac it together for a simple frame.

Build your skeleton, wrap it with metal...then find a natural point in which a seperation could be made. Cut the unit where it works, and put a couple of machine screw boss's on one side, and hold the two pieces together with some allen mechine screws for a clean look.

IMO thats the easiest way to get the form-factor you want, and can still cut into halves or pieces. I'd make sure to use super-thin AL since you'll have a skeleton to wrap it around...the same idea could be done with thicker AL also, but the you remove the skeleton and let the body stand on its own. Make any sense?

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:16 AM   #3
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Thats a ton of words, for a complicated visual idea.

I'd run over to home depot and grab some 1/4" square tube in an 8ft stick for like $15. It cuts with a hack saw, and you can tac it together for a simple frame.

Build your skeleton, wrap it with metal...then find a natural point in which a seperation could be made. Cut the unit where it works, and put a couple of machine screw boss's on one side, and hold the two pieces together with some allen mechine screws for a clean look.

IMO thats the easiest way to get the form-factor you want, and can still cut into halves or pieces. I'd make sure to use super-thin AL since you'll have a skeleton to wrap it around...the same idea could be done with thicker AL also, but the you remove the skeleton and let the body stand on its own. Make any sense?
Yeah it was a lot to type. I was confusing myself typing it because I had a general idea in my head and I was trying to put it into words before I measured anything and before I even drew it out on paper.

As far as the tubing and such, I talked with a local machine shop today after I did a bunch of measurements and they said it will be $20 to cut the aluminum to the 2 sizes I need which will be 3 pieces. I also asked them about price for some 1in x 1in square tubing that measures out to 15 ft 8 in and they said after tax it will be $16.66. So all together it will be $36.66 which isn't too bad. I'll also save myself the extra $10 or so and cut the tubing myself, unless they throw in the cutting to size for free.

Now for screws, I like the way you think. I was thinking a long the same line as you with what types of screws to use. My first thought was to use the allen machine screws or even spanner machine screws. I'm actually trying to find a screw that looks similar to a pop rivet.

Also with the frame, I was planning on that being an essential part to where as once I have the frame in and the aluminum sheets screwed to it, I will be able to either take just the top off or one side or both of the sides for easier access to do all the wiring. Reason why I'd like access is because even though the wires will never be seen, I'd still like to keep them neat inside the box.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
Yeah it was a lot to type. I was confusing myself typing it because I had a general idea in my head and I was trying to put it into words before I measured anything and before I even drew it out on paper.

As far as the tubing and such, I talked with a local machine shop today after I did a bunch of measurements and they said it will be $20 to cut the aluminum to the 2 sizes I need which will be 3 pieces. I also asked them about price for some 1in x 1in square tubing that measures out to 15 ft 8 in and they said after tax it will be $16.66. So all together it will be $36.66 which isn't too bad. I'll also save myself the extra $10 or so and cut the tubing myself, unless they throw in the cutting to size for free.

Now for screws, I like the way you think. I was thinking a long the same line as you with what types of screws to use. My first thought was to use the allen machine screws or even spanner machine screws. I'm actually trying to find a screw that looks similar to a pop rivet.

Also with the frame, I was planning on that being an essential part to where as once I have the frame in and the aluminum sheets screwed to it, I will be able to either take just the top off or one side or both of the sides for easier access to do all the wiring. Reason why I'd like access is because even though the wires will never be seen, I'd still like to keep them neat inside the box.
button head cap screw http://www.mcmaster.com/#button-head-cap-screws/=tcj5ac
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

There is a heavy doty grade of velcro (Quit laughing) on the market. It is a little pricey, but it holds like Military Grade Duct tape. There are some aftermarket upholstery companies using this stuff to hold panels on after thay complete the modifications. I have used this stuff to do everythng from holding metal panels opn the side of my garage walls, to holding electronic components in cars. Good Stuff, Manard.

http://www.specialized.net/Specializ...-2Ea-4009.aspx
Old 08-22-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
_Ogre

fiberglass

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
low&slow
Account Suspended

Ogre - That's a nice looking console. Just checked out your build thread as well.

As far as anything for me, haven't got to do any work with the aluminum. I did get the frame made yesterday and ran into a small problem. The measurements I took where for a flush fit. Didn't think about the nature of the truck not being a perfect square. What I mean is, I can't get my frame to fit with the dash in. So I'm going to cut about an inch or so out and weld it back together. That way it gives me some wiggle room to get it in and out.