The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2014, 01:54 AM   #1
mrjata

'64 located, what do I look for??

Love this forum and I just joined a week ago. such a wealth of knowledge!

I have found a barn find. a '64 from the original 1 owner and I need to know what to look for in this age truck beyond the obvious. What are the areas prone to rust or weakness?

I do know it has the original I6 and floor stick. I first thoughts are the typical 400/450 SBC and auto eothe ra 700r4 or a 350th I have already built and tested.

Last streetrod I built was a 52 5 window p.u. Got tired of putting drive shafts in it. Used to twist them up like candy papers. Last one it tore in half, destroyed the transmission and blew out the boards in the bed. (put the motor in Mom's 74 Corvette)

I have about 6-7 catalogs coming for perusing in the thought chamber. Trying to get some ideas together and see what kind of money I will tie up in the old girl, is she worth it?????

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

Thanks to everyone who contributes. I can see I will be a frequent visitor.

mrj

Last edited by chevy_mike; 11-28-2014 at 05:05 PM.
mrjata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:29 AM   #2
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: '64 located, what do I look for??

there are quite a few areas prone to rust...
1 area I always check out, especially in a barn truck is rust through behind the sunvisors.
that area is prone to mouse nests (in between the roof skin and inner headliner panel) and if they are there long enough it will rust through. I have seen many trucks that are perfectly fine and rust free, except for that 1 spot.

the other areas are pretty common on these trucks: rockers, front and rear floor braces, foot well (corner between the rocker and dimmer switch), fender/fender braces rear of front fender, and if it is really bad behind the bumper/behind the grille, and above the wheel well. the upper front corners of the inner fender wells almost always rust, the rear edge of the hood, and all along the bottom of the front of the hood...
we could go on, but pretty much every where there was a brace, or factory seam, that area was prone to rust...

don't expect to recoup what it would cost to restore one of these...
my guess is that the trucks value will be about 50% less than what you get in it. I know that is rather pessimistic but that seems to be the case.

if you can post some pics those of us with experience with these can point out some of the good/bad, and what you might get yourself into.

for instance today a guy saw me driving my 63, and said he had a 65 for sale.. I was interested...then after talking with him he mentioned the small electrical short and subsequent fire, and the "custom" tailgate that he had made out of horseshoes !?
needless to say without even seeing it my interest faded pretty quick.. however a non dented non rusty fender, or good hood might get me interested again,,, I'll just have to look at it..
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:28 AM   #3
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Found a few threads asking what to look for:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=627900
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554319
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=629960

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
mrjata

Thanks a bunch. Now to try to buy it before she puts it in an auction. She has several Studebaker "bullet nose" cars too. One old Ford sedan, I would say pre 1950s. Wants to put all of them in an auction. Trying to describe how much money she will loose in commissions. 25%.
mrjata is offline   Reply With Quote