The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
Gregski
Post Whore

What brand is the LMC Truck HEI Distributor?

Thinking about pulling the trigger on that HEI Distributor Conversion Kit from LMC Truck for my '74 V8 1/2 ton.

However I don't know what brand distributor that is for that $200 (which includes plug wires), plus another $27 for shipping, (man is it just me or are they just expensive)

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=49
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
notallthere

Re: What brand is the LMC Truck HEI Distributor?

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...8362/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...1249/overview/

For the same price you could be into a little more performance based product instead of taking a chance one something that is unknown. I am using these in my Chevelle and although I have not fired up the motor yet it has fit quite well.
notallthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:16 AM   #3
midnight rambler

I just got one from summit, ordered the plug and timing tape to get my order over $100 for the free shipping, still sitting on the shelf, maybe next week ill find some time to install it.
midnight rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #4
74CustomK20

I wouldn't order from lmc. I would go through summit or jegs or someone. Lmc has SOME nice stuff but for 200? No way its that nice. I got a new dizzy off eBay for 40 bucks ( cheap Yea but its just one to hold me over while I redo my original) and a new set of wires for 20. But that's me.
79 C70 366 Project Dump.
74CustomK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:28 PM   #5
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by notallthere View Post
http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...8362/overview/

For the same price you could be into a little more performance based product instead of taking a chance one something that is unknown. I am using these in my Chevelle and although I have not fired up the motor yet it has fit quite well.
thanks, I had no idea MSD made a dizzy for that cheap, that's along the lines of this Proform I was considering (it's a black cap, though they show the brown, I just don't like that MSD look at me red, lol)

http://www.jegs.com/i/Proform/778/66940BK/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/i/Proform/778/66941BK/10002/-1
Old 01-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #6
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74CustomK20 View Post
I wouldn't order from lmc. I would go through summit or jegs or someone. Lmc has SOME nice stuff but for 200? No way its that nice.
I hear ya, and I like that idea, but just to be fair LMC's distributor comes with plug wires. What turns me off, is having to pay $27 bucks for shipping. They don't offer FREE shipping until you spend $1,000 bucks!
Old 01-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #7
MikeB

I'm leaning towards the MSD Street Fire for my 355 project. It's made overseas, but designed and supported by MSD. Until recently, it cost around $140-$150, so $121 is a great price. I also hear the Proform HEIs are decent quality. I'd personally stay away from the sub-$100 no-name stuff.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #8
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
I'd personally stay away from the sub-$100 no-name stuff.
I couldn't agree more. It's just nice to have a named brand, I just called Proform Tech Support and got great support/advice, looks like I'm going that way.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #9
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Or try these guys, little pricey but you get what you pay for
http://performancedistributors.com/p...-distributors/
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:36 PM   #10
Gregski
Post Whore

So I bought this one from Summit for $126.97 a hundred bucks less than LMC, thanks everyone for your advice.

Proform Race HEI Distributor 66941BK

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-66941bk/overview/
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2015, 12:10 AM   #11
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Proform stuff is made in China. Be wary of smaller than OEM shaft diameters! A lot of the Chinese made GM distributors are so narrow that they "walk around" a bit in the distributor opening. Before I spend any money on an aftermarket distributors I would advise finding a good GM junkyard core and replacing everything with Delco or Borg Warner Select components. I spent $140 for a complete GM distributor overhaul. This included:

New gear
Magnetic pickup
Consensor
Module
Coil
Curve kit (accel)
Adj. Vac. Adv.(accel)
Cap/rotor

And, of course I pulled the main shaft and cleaned everything with solvent in the parts washer and greased the interior housing. Then, re assembled everything back together. For wires I use Taylor spiro-pro 8mm and those were another $45/set. So minus plugs it was about $185 including wires. I even selected BW parts that had either the US or Israel as the country of origin. The Accel stuff was Hecho in Mexico and I'm cool with that.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:27 AM   #12
cadillac_al

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmachinz View Post
Proform stuff is made in China. Be wary of smaller than OEM shaft diameters! A lot of the Chinese made GM distributors are so narrow that they "walk around" a bit in the distributor opening. Before I spend any money on an aftermarket distributors I would advise finding a good GM junkyard core and replacing everything with Delco or Borg Warner Select components. I spent $140 for a complete GM distributor overhaul. This included:

New gear
Magnetic pickup
Consensor
Module
Coil
Curve kit (accel)
Adj. Vac. Adv.(accel)
Cap/rotor

And, of course I pulled the main shaft and cleaned everything with solvent in the parts washer and greased the interior housing. Then, re assembled everything back together. For wires I use Taylor spiro-pro 8mm and those were another $45/set. So minus plugs it was about $185 including wires. I even selected BW parts that had either the US or Israel as the country of origin. The Accel stuff was Hecho in Mexico and I'm cool with that.
All that work is making me love my $50 chinese distributors even more. I have bought 3 over the last 5-8 years with no problems or failures, not even a bad module. I have never noticed any excessive play in the shafts either. They are all polished too. I guess I haven't found the down side yet.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:20 PM   #13
ron350

Cadillac al can you please give a link to the distributor you have.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:59 PM   #14
cadillac_al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron350 View Post
Cadillac al can you please give a link to the distributor you have.
Gladly, I love all his stuff. Distributors are 2nd option on the left.

http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/
77 Chevy K10
Old 01-03-2015, 03:55 PM   #15
ron350

Thanks that looks good.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:23 PM   #16
MikeB

Gotta love the Skip White hype: THIS IS THE WORLD'S BEST (INSERT PRODUCT HERE) AND WE KNOW BECAUSE WE'VE TESTED THOUSANDS OF THEM!!!!!!!!

If you are 3 for 3 with his POS distributors, or any of his products, then you are the rare exception.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:40 PM   #17
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmachinz View Post
Proform stuff is made in China. Be wary of smaller than OEM shaft diameters! A lot of the Chinese made GM distributors are so narrow that they "walk around" a bit in the distributor opening.
Now you're making me skierd!
Old 01-03-2015, 10:43 PM   #18
Gregski
Post Whore

Only in America can you order a part from another state and have it on your door step the next day, awesome!

by the way it don't feel flimzy, feels pretty solid, at least to the wiggle test, LOL
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2015, 11:32 PM   #19
cadillac_al

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Gotta love the Skip White hype: THIS IS THE WORLD'S BEST (INSERT PRODUCT HERE) AND WE KNOW BECAUSE WE'VE TESTED THOUSANDS OF THEM!!!!!!!!

If you are 3 for 3 with his POS distributors, or any of his products, then you are the rare exception.
Yeah, I hate marketing and hype but hey, the stuff looks cool and it's cheap and I know it's a gamble. I'm 3 for 3 on distributors, not even a bad module. I have bought a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember but if it failed I would remember. I bought some King bearings and oil pump for a 400 that is still going strong. Bought lots of cheap valve cover and oil pan gaskets that worked fine. I plan to buy some of his cheap aluminum heads next summer. I'm pretty sure if I had a problem with something ol' Skippy would replace it for me.
77 Chevy K10
Old 01-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #20
gmachinz
Account Suspended

The only problem I've ran into with a ProForm HEI distributor is that the journal inse the Kotor was a loose fit-the base that gets secured to the intake had serious side to side play, rocking, etc. Maybe not a huge deal since shaft gets bolted down snug with the distributor hold down but nevertheless made me nervous. The GM HEI distributor journal diameter as measured with a dial caliper was nearly 2mm wider and fit snug compared to the ProComp. This was on a Camaro project for a friends dad who shops by price first so he usually ends up with Chinese crap. I rebuilt his stock distributor. Then I told him how his ProComp steering column did not meet highway safety standards and why and I think I have him squared away with buying Chinese parts...or at least get informed on quality differences.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:10 PM   #21
ChevDog1

I just got a rebuilt one from Napa when I did mine last year. I think it was about $150 with cap and rotor. Seems to work just fine.
ChevDog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:35 PM   #22
gmachinz
Account Suspended

The other issue with Chinese distributors is they don't always machine/cast them with the vent hole in the base-it supposed to be there for venting the buildup of ozone as the rotor arcs with the cap contacts.