The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2015, 10:22 PM   #1
gr8C10

78 K10 Charcoal Canister Connections

I've been trying to get rid of the gas stink around my truck. The charcoal canister is long gone and the vent line to the fuel tank is plugged. Do I use a two-hose canister for this application? What's the proper hose routing to the cansiter? I assume the tank vent goes to one canister fitting and the other goes to a vacuum port on the intake manifold or carb.

Thanks,
Jim
gr8C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: 78 K10 Charcoal Canister Connections

i have a 79 which should be basically the same I will take a couple pics later for you

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:22 AM   #3
enaberif

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8C10 View Post
I've been trying to get rid of the gas stink around my truck. The charcoal canister is long gone and the vent line to the fuel tank is plugged. Do I use a two-hose canister for this application? What's the proper hose routing to the cansiter? I assume the tank vent goes to one canister fitting and the other goes to a vacuum port on the intake manifold or carb.

Thanks,
Jim
If I remember correctly charcoal canister had 3 connections. One goes to the carb for vacuum, one to the PCV and the other goes back to the tank.

If you pulled your charcoal canister you need to put a small breather on the one that went back to the tank and usually a small filter for say a lawn mower will work.
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
Bigstevex4

Sure you dont have al leak i have no canister and a breather installed in the hose. No smell had a small gas leak carb fitting was only time i could smell gas.
Bigstevex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

My 78 dosnt have one but
my 79 has (2@3/8?)
1 to carb base
1 to a Y to PVC
And I think a smaller one too.
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #6
Titomars

You could get a smell of gas with the vent line plugged. The tank(s) need to breathe. Most likely the vapor is blowing past the cap(s). But it would be small amounts. I agree with Bigsteve there could be a leak. Try checking all the rubber hoses under the truck especially the vent hoses. Any cracks in the hoses would cause you issues.

A simple 2 port canister hookup is the big hose attached to the vent line the other small line is to attached to ported vacuum source.
Titomars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:28 PM   #7
gr8C10

Thanks for the comments. Plans are to work on it this weekend and see if I can narrow down the source of the smell.

Jim
gr8C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:33 PM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I wound up getting stuck on a run I should be home tomorrow

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Old 02-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #9
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Luckilly I have a couple of 79 trucks here one has no canister the other has two pics of the two
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!
Old 02-12-2015, 04:09 PM   #10
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

My charcoal canister is pushing up daisies somewhere inm a landfill and has been gone for a long time. I ran the vent line from the tank selector to a fuel filter to keep the moisture and dirt out of the line and it vents under the truck byy the radiator. No gas smell, no stink and no real pressure issues with the tanks.