The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
Slowpoke Mike

Turn signal question

Has anyone ever converted a 67-72 turn signal switch to a later style (1985) turn signal dimmer switch. I have been looking at pictures online and from what I can tell they look the same. The photos are taken from slightly different angles but I think it's the same housing style. Looks like the only difference if the connector has two more wires. The connector blade looked identical in configuration. So it'll probably plug right in with the exception of the two (high and low beam lights ) I'm going to stop by oreilly's this week and see if I can compare the two. If I think it looks possible I think I'm going to make my weekend project out of this. Reason for this conversion is the truck has speaker pods down under the dash and it sort of blocks me from using the dimmer switch. I know I could pull the speakers but I sort of like my radio and I have no other speakers yet. Gotta move the gas tank to get the rears in. If anyone has any experience and would like to chime in please let me know if I'm off base or not. I'm going to try and post respective photos. The one with the extra black and white wire is the 85 switch.
Slowpoke Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:47 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Turn signal question

here's a picture of the two styles of dimmer switches.

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/198...er_switch.html

I take it you want to put one on the steering column in conjunction with the turn signal switch. I don't know if you can do that without changing the whole column. If you can and the harness will connect. You will need the run the floor dimmer harness to the column harness. It's three wires. Blue, tan and light green. The tan is low beam the light green is high beam and the blue is the power from the headlight switch. The black and white wires might be the dash indicator light for the high beam.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote