The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2016, 11:00 PM   #1
Myoldtruck

Brakes up grade done

Ive had my 70 c10 4 months now. Braking with the unknown maintained 4 wheel drums was a little nerve racking, pulled to the right then to the left. so it was time to pull every thing apart. this was a manual drum brake system.

after 45 years there was alot of dirt, rust, grime, ect. I found master cylinder leaking in rear of it, one wheel cylinder wet also. 3 hoses dry rotted. I didnt have the money to do disc brake upgrade this year. So i replaced everything, cleaned everything, new best drum shoes, springs clips ect. Back to oem specs.

I added a power brake booster. I learned how to double flare tubing, from m/c to distribution block. The new front wheel cylinders came with new 10mm bleedrs, unable to get a wrench or socket onit, to close to the spindle, i had to buy speed bleeders to fix that problem.

I test drove the truck the last two days, and it is a pleasure to drive again. Braking effort is very easy, stopping straight. I also added a front sway bar, new front shocks, and greased the front end. Life is good.
Myoldtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:36 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Brakes up grade done

Congrats - always nice to learn a new skill, one you can use time and again. nice to do things on a budget, isn't it? that booster probably makes a ton of difference in drivability. Enjoy!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:38 AM   #3
Cape Codder

Correctly adjusted drum brakes work fine, have for many years. Just be cautious after driving through puddles. Wet drums will get your attention if you need the brakes quick. We grew up knowing that after driving through deep water to drag the brakes for a hundred yards to dry them out.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:53 AM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Brakes up grade done

Good job. Like anything it's a great feeling knowing you did it yourself.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #5
57larry

congrats. brakes & steering is very important to your safe being
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:38 PM   #6
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
Correctly adjusted drum brakes work fine, have for many years. Just be cautious after driving through puddles. Wet drums will get your attention if you need the brakes quick. We grew up knowing that after driving through deep water to drag the brakes for a hundred yards to dry them out.
Mine must always be wet. I have way more motor than brakes (manual drums) and it gets pretty exciting at times.

I have the major parts for my wilwood upgrade but still need to get a few more things to make it happen.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:34 PM   #7
Cape Codder

I am not saying disc brakes are not better but drums have worked for years for normal driving. I think changing to front disc is one of the better upgrades you can do for a daily driver. As far as rear disc I think they are way over rated as the rear only does about 30% of braking and the parking brakes with disc are nothing but trouble. In New England rear disc parking brakes rust so bad that that to remove a rotor you must practically destroy the inner shoes.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:45 AM   #8
Myoldtruck

Brakes are doing good so far, no loss of fluid over the weekend. Next project is new tires and a front end alingment. The manual steering isnt that big of a deal for this year, actually turns easy other than a dead stop.

My class 4 hitch came in and I need to start working on that and the brake controller. Going to be towing my airstream trailer this summer if all goes well.
Myoldtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:07 AM   #9
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myoldtruck View Post
Going to be towing my airstream trailer this summer if all goes well.
Once they are hooked up together, don't forget to post some pics!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote