The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2015, 11:14 PM   #1
jimmyjammoto

1965 c10 "OFT"

I just got this 'Old F'n Truck" the other day. I have another 66 c10 short step-side that is so far gone from a PO that it'll be a little of everything when I'm done with it.

Plans for this one are to keep it simple and cheap. I've seen it done by others on this board so I know it's possible.

Here is what I know about it so far: its been in the same family since new. It switched a few sets of hands between original owner, owners niece, nieces husband, husbands brother, then back to husband. Last registered in 1998, the year I graduated.

Truck is as bare bones as they come. No options except for a locking drivers door. Not too sure if that was standard or not. I do have original keys too.

Under dash A/C was added as some point, but someone stole the compressor so it too is coming out.

Motor is a 292 L6 backed by a tiny 3 speed manual. I'm not familiar with the GM straight sixes or the transmissions used in them so I got a chuckle when crawled underneath and looked at it.

Was told rear end was locked up and confirmed these allegations this past weekend.

And now here's a couple of pics to start. First one is delivery night. she only travelled 1.5 miles from PO to our house.
Attached Images

jimmyjammoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:26 PM   #2
jimmyjammoto

Re: 1965 c10 "OFT"

Haven't researched this dealership yet. Anybody know anything about it?

On a side note, the younger kid down the road who has a cool 64 LWB saw my truck and pulled up asking how I got this one. He said he has been trying for a couple of years to get the PO to let go. I guess I got him on a good day.

Anyways, the kid thought the camper was cool so I told him he could have it if he helped me remove it. I told him I would deliver to his house also no problem. He then offered up a metal bed and wheel wells from a 72(?) C10 that I could have for delivering the camper. Score! I always wanted an actual steel-floored bed, plus I made a truck based friend (real meaning: hey, can you stop by and help me lift this?) Hopefully I can make it work without too much effort. Probably won't go in this one, but maybe the '66 since it won't have anything original anyways.
Attached Images

Last edited by jimmyjammoto; 02-02-2015 at 11:29 PM. Reason: speeling
Old 02-02-2015, 11:34 PM   #3
jimmyjammoto

Kitty was all over that truck. Here she is pushing it off a cliff. The back was filled to the gills with garbage sacks. Thankfully they weren't there when I got the truck. It smelled horrible. She probably smelled the remnants of former mouse and snake tenants. I found the common mouse nest coming through a small hole inside the cab roof and two molted snake skins.
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2015, 11:40 PM   #4
79azc10

Not bad , good luck
79azc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:56 PM   #5
jimmyjammoto

This last pics brings me close up to present. Camper removed, 115 lbs of dirt washed out and vacuumed up (and still cleaning), seat removed and working on chipping the peanut brittle-laffy taffy-rust begetting crap off the floor pans.

Take note of the hole cut in the grill. There was a lock and chain wrapped through there after someone stole the AC compressor and mirrors one day. I have an extra grill but part of me wants to wrap a chain through there again
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2015, 12:01 AM   #6
jimmyjammoto

Here's the rear end damage. I'm not sure what could cause such carnage, but there are a lot of teeth missing. I hope nothing else was damaged as far as drivetrain goes. The truck definitely doesn't come across as being abused. Luckily I have another 6 lug 12 bolt rear that I can sling in there and closer to driving.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2015, 01:32 PM   #7
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Nice score of a truck for sure. The 292 was an option and the 3 speed was standard. So you have something else to keep it from bare bones. lol Standard would have been a 230 and 3 speed. 292 is a great engine. Have 3 myself. lol What are your plans for the truck?
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:44 PM   #8
Justin@EntropyRad

going to be a cool story to follow!
Justin@EntropyRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:36 PM   #9
jimmyjammoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
Nice score of a truck for sure. The 292 was an option and the 3 speed was standard. So you have something else to keep it from bare bones. lol Standard would have been a 230 and 3 speed. 292 is a great engine. Have 3 myself. lol What are your plans for the truck?
Thanks for the info TJ! There were some custom touches like the full Kraco sound system consisting of tape deck and 6x9's hanging from coat hanger hooks in the cab.

Since I have a 5.3/4L60e going into the other truck, this one will keep the 292. I like the uniqueness of the motor. I'm trying to keep it true to form; just a bare bones old truck. I'd like to do the common mods to the motor (HEI, finned covers, headers/exhaust, etc) and do a T5 swap for cruising as I'd like to drive it as much as possible to work, which works out to about a 50 mile round trip.

As far as suspension, It'll get a little lower and leveled since I won't be hauling much heavy stuff in the back. I have a power steering box laying around that's perfect for her. Will probably keep it a 6 lug for the time being, but will upgrade to power disc brakes.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #10
jimmyjammoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@EntropyRad View Post
going to be a cool story to follow!
Thanks Justin. I hope so! Sometime in the near future I have to hit you up for an LS swap radiator.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:53 PM   #11
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjammoto View Post
Thanks for the info TJ! There were some custom touches like the full Kraco sound system consisting of tape deck and 6x9's hanging from coat hanger hooks in the cab.

Since I have a 5.3/4L60e going into the other truck, this one will keep the 292. I like the uniqueness of the motor. I'm trying to keep it true to form; just a bare bones old truck. I'd like to do the common mods to the motor (HEI, finned covers, headers/exhaust, etc) and do a T5 swap for cruising as I'd like to drive it as much as possible to work, which works out to about a 50 mile round trip.

As far as suspension, It'll get a little lower and leveled since I won't be hauling much heavy stuff in the back. I have a power steering box laying around that's perfect for her. Will probably keep it a 6 lug for the time being, but will upgrade to power disc brakes.
Sounds like a good plan! Glad yer keepin the inline 6 and doing something cooler and more unique. Yeah the 5 speed will help a ton for cruising. Headers and a 4 barrel help to as well as hei. Will be watchin the progress.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:58 PM   #12
hotrod66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjammoto View Post
Haven't researched this dealership yet. Anybody know anything about it?

On a side note, the younger kid down the road who has a cool 64 LWB saw my truck and pulled up asking how I got this one. He said he has been trying for a couple of years to get the PO to let go. I guess I got him on a good day.

Anyways, the kid thought the camper was cool so I told him he could have it if he helped me remove it. I told him I would deliver to his house also no problem. He then offered up a metal bed and wheel wells from a 72(?) C10 that I could have for delivering the camper. Score! I always wanted an actual steel-floored bed, plus I made a truck based friend (real meaning: hey, can you stop by and help me lift this?) Hopefully I can make it work without too much effort. Probably won't go in this one, but maybe the '66 since it won't have anything original anyways.
that dealership is still around.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:30 PM   #13
Big Tex

Yep. It's just north of downtown on 35 at the Inwood exit I believe.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:51 PM   #14
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

yep, here it is, same logo...

http://www.friendlychevytexas.com/

note from website...

My father started Friendly Chevrolet in 1956, and each day since we have strived to live up to our name by treating people with honesty, integrity and respect. Complete customer satisfaction, our automobiles, great value and service is what continually brings Texans back to Friendly Chevrolet generation after generation.

As you explore the new state-of-the-art Web Site, and learn more about Friendly Chevrolet, you will find that our prices are extremely competitive, our customer service is exceptional, our parts department is one of the largest in America, and that we can help most people receive financing and drive away in the vehicle they want.

After you finish your Internet tour, I invite you to visit Friendly Chevrolet in person. Our location at the intersection of I-35 and Inwood road, provides a relaxed atmosphere that makes car shopping comfortable and fun. In fact, our dealership design and operation has won numerous awards and has been imitated by car dealers from around the world. Come see for yourself.

On behalf of Friendly Chevrolet employees, let me say thank you for visiting our new Web Site. We look forward to meeting you and making your visit to Friendly Chevrolet a rewarding experience.

- Mark A. Eddins

Friendly Chevrolet through the Years

Being Family-Owned Makes the Difference
Friendly Chevrolet in Dallas, Texas is a family-owned new and used car dealership with a rich history and deep-rooted desire for outstanding customer service. These are often lost in cold corporate-owned dealerships.

1950's - New Beginnings in Dallas
It all began when Roy Eddins went to work for Chuck Hutton Dodge in Memphis, Tennessee. Roy quickly worked his way from the parts department to a management position and in 1958 was offered the chance to manage a failing Dodge dealership in Dallas.

Roy eagerly accepted the challenge and the Eddins family moved in June 1958. It took only two months for Roy to turn the dealership around with Eddins' high levels of customer service.

1960's - Growth with Hutton - Competing with Friendly
In 1960, Roy became part owner and relocated the dealership to the then "far north" part of Dallas at the corner of Lemmon and Inwood next to a brand new Chevrolet dealership, Friendly Chevrolet.

In 1965 Mark Eddins, Roy's 14 year old son, started working in the parts department just like his dad had. Over the next 5 years, Roy continued to find success at the Dodge dealership, now named Hutton-Eddins, and Mark continued to work during the summers in all of the departments.

1970's & 80's - Move to Chevrolet & Growth
In September 1970, the now-troubled Friendly Chevrolet was purchased by Roy with the help of Mr. Hutton, and once again the dealership was turned around with better customer service offered by Eddins.

In 1973, Mark came to work for Friendly full-time and worked his way through all of the positions and departments in the dealership until he became General Manager in 1979. Friendly Chevrolet began to thrive through the 70's and 80's under this new leadership.

1990's & 2000's - Move to I-35 and Inwood Road
After a 5-year plan, begun in 1993, a new location for Friendly Chevrolet was selected directly off I-35 (Stemmons Freeway) and Inwood Road. This new facility helps to ensure that Friendly Chevrolet is and will continue to be one of the largest and most dynamic Chevrolet dealerships in the United States.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:53 PM   #15
jimmyjammoto

I've been working on her here and there after work time permitting. 30 mile commute home, three teens, three dogs, a cat and a rabbit while the wife is deployed keeps my hair grey. Regardless, got the inside gutted of all the factory sound deadener(?) on the floor and finished vacuuming out 99% of the mouse turds.

Here is the condition of the floor pans; not too bad. I'm going to rock it until I get it running and driving well.
Attached Images

Last edited by jimmyjammoto; 02-08-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:05 PM   #16
jimmyjammoto

And I'm clueless as to why the pics come out rotated all of the time.

Today was spent welding new trailing arm perches on a '68 C10 12 bolt I had taking up space in the garage. It still needs a brake rebuild and paint as well. Taking the old rear end out was an exercise in patience. I really want a 2 post lift in a climate controlled shop, but alas I make do like a good majority of ya'll: rolling around in the driveway with tools spread from hell to breakfast. Remember those three teens I mentioned earlier? Having to explain what a ratchet is 3x every time I need one gets old
Attached Images

Last edited by jimmyjammoto; 02-08-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:22 PM   #17
jimmyjammoto

Got the perches in and rear end primed up. It took a minute to get into the groove so some of the beads were a little cold. I'm sure they'll hold up just fine.

I wasn't too anal about getting them perfectly in place. I just lined up the two axles, eyeballed the angles and burned them in. I think they turned out good. Enough for me.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2015, 11:29 PM   #18
jimmyjammoto

Also ordered up a new HEI distributor, plugs and wires.

I went to the local pick-n-pull and got a junkyard version off a '77 nova with a 250 L6, but when I got it home and started to clean up I realized it had been "rebuilt" at some point in it's life, with missing capacitor hardware and a garbage rotor. I was so excited to actually have found one that I neglected to inspect it thoroughly. Sometime this week I'll be returning it for credit towards a hydroboost.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:11 PM   #19
Bomp

Looks like a great project.
Sub'd
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:46 AM   #20
Ta2Don

Along for the ride...

Rear-end Carnage looks like Pinion loosened up and backed into the carrier assembly...
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote