The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
jlelec

3/4 to 1/2 ton Long to Short Crew Cab Conversion

My new project is to convert an old 74 3/4 ton crew cab to a 1/2 ton short bed. Will try to post pictures as I go. Here are a few. I will post the actual frame cut, (they are on my work computer) next week.

The front end after changing to 1/2 ton. Changed the complete front end, easier than figuring out what would inter-change.

Changing the rear end. (thank goodness for John Deere) Found out something the hard way I didn't know. The springs on a 1/2 ton are wider. I knew they were shorter, so this required moving all the spring mounts from the 1/2 ton truck to the crew cab frame. The donor for the frame parts is a 1981 model long bed chassis.

Here is a picture of it with the new short bed. Checked to make sure all the bed mounting bolts lined up. Just like factory. Also changing the spring mounting hardware, gave me plenty of rear bumper mounting space. The guide I used warned that with a normal frame cut you would end up with limited bumper mounting space. Here it is:

This is all I have so far. I have a few more pictures at work that I will post next week. Plan to work on gas tank mount today and finish up details of front end, sway bar, shocks...
jlelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Low Elco

Re: 3/4 to 1/2 ton Long to Short Crew Cab Conversion

Too cool! I've been wanting one of these forever.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:21 AM   #3
dadillac

Re: 3/4 to 1/2 ton Long to Short Crew Cab Conversion

Any updates on this project?
dadillac is offline   Reply With Quote