The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2015, 08:47 PM   #1
wagner

throwout bearing issue

I just finished swapping a 350 out of a 1986 1 ton into my 69 C10. I used the 4 speed and throwout bearing that came with the C10 and the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate from the 86. I didn't notice until I went to take it for a test drive that the throwout bearing was wrong and causing the clutch to slip. Does anyone know the correct throwout bearing (part #) that I would need. Thanks.
wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:00 PM   #2
wagner

Re: throwout bearing issue

transmission is a sm465
Old 12-08-2015, 09:50 PM   #3
cableguy0

There are 2 different thickness throwout bearings. Get the bearing that matches the clutch set you are using. I personally would have just started with a matching clutch set. The 150 bucks or less that a stock clutch kit costs isn't worth pulling that ridiculously heavy transmission back out.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:09 PM   #4
Marshy

Uhoh, you just got me thinking... I'm sticking that L31 Vortec in my 84 K10 and I used an entire clutch from a 98 1500 however, the throwout bearing I put in my SM465 is spec'ed for the 84 K10... I got it at Advance Auto and was going to give you the number but just remembered that I threw the box away. Now I'm wondering if I got the right bearing... EEK
Marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:44 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would have just got the entire clutch assembly including the TO bearing for your '84 K10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
Uhoh, you just got me thinking... I'm sticking that L31 Vortec in my 84 K10 and I used an entire clutch from a 98 1500 however, the throwout bearing I put in my SM465 is spec'ed for the 84 K10... I got it at Advance Auto and was going to give you the number but just remembered that I threw the box away. Now I'm wondering if I got the right bearing... EEK
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:06 AM   #6
Marshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I would have just got the entire clutch assembly including the TO bearing for your '84 K10.
I grabbed everything but the TO bearing. Thought I would get a new one while I was there... I'll be heading to the parts store to compare the two. Luckily I havent out the engine in yet.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:18 PM   #7
Marshy

So I haven't looked into this any further but will be checking with the parts store tomorrow. I did a search online and got to thinking that I likely need the bearing spec'ed for my '84. The bearing from the '98 probably won't work because my clutch is lever operated and not hydraulic like the '98 that the clutch came from.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:25 PM   #8
wagner

I ended up getting a bearing for the 86 and it worked. took it for its first drive today. thanks for the input guys.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #9
Marshy

Well, I stopped at the parts store and compared their off the shelf bearing for my 84 to the 86 and while they have slightly different beairng numbers they look exactly the same. When I get home tonight I will throw a set of calipers on them to check overall dimensions. If they are the same dimensions then the 86 bearing is going back to the store. More to follow with pics and dimensions.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:27 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You need to use the TO bearing that is correct for the pressure plate you are using.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:49 AM   #11
Marshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
You need to use the TO bearing that is correct for the pressure plate you are using.
The pressure plate can from a trans with a hydraulic clutch, my trans in my 84 is lever operated so how do you suppose I use the bearing from there other clutch? I can't.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:34 AM   #12
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

On a lever operated setup, if you push the throw out back all the way to the trans....you need to see aprox. 3/8" tween the fingers, & the face of the bearing. If you have this, (assuming that the diameter of the bearing & the clutch hat finger match), you should be able to adjust the clutch Much more than that, & you will not dis engage the clutch....much less than that, the clutch will slip....Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:18 AM   #13
Marshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy longhorn View Post
On a lever operated setup, if you push the throw out back all the way to the trans....you need to see aprox. 3/8" tween the fingers, & the face of the bearing. If you have this, (assuming that the diameter of the bearing & the clutch hat finger match), you should be able to adjust the clutch Much more than that, & you will not dis engage the clutch....much less than that, the clutch will slip....Longhorn
Thanks LH, you're the man. I'll check the clearance today when I put the engine in. Before I do, I'll check the face of the fingers and compare them to the old clutch.

I put the clutch on the motor without a clutch alignment tool but went abd bought one lst night to checkbit before I try installing the motor. I thought that if it wasn't aligned and I had to loosen the bolts on the clutch that I would take it all the way off and measure the distance between the fingers and the face of the pressure plate by putting it face down on the floor. Wouldn't ya know that the alignment tool sliped right in fine and is all aligned so no need to loosen the clutch.