The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2016, 01:50 AM   #1
CastIron

Sway Bar Question

I recently acquired a 1 1/4" front sway bar (off of a late 70s 3/4 ton) for my '69 C1500. I got the mounting brackets with the bar and ordered some new Moog bushings (K6476) as per some the other sway bar threads.
I've got everything cleaned up and ready to install. Here's the problem: the bushings looks like they are about 1/4" too tall for the brackets. There was washers under the brackets when I took them off the donor truck, but they aren't close to being thick enough. I'm pretty sure if I tried installing them right now the bolts would be tight but there would be a gap between the brackets the the control arms/frame brackets. The original bushings were rubber and in pretty bad shape. It doesn't look like the urethane bushings are going to compress very much without causing the bar to bind. I'm thinking I'll have to add a few washers under each bracket. Anybody have any better ideas?

Name:  DSC00010.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  33.9 KB

I've already looked at a lot of other threads and I've only seen one other person use washers under the brackets.
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:39 AM   #2
Toms67

Re: Sway Bar Question

Any chance you could grind The bushings to the proper height? You could do a little at a time until you get what you need.
Posted via Mobile Device
Toms67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #3
Rich69shortfleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms67 View Post
Any chance you could grind The bushings to the proper height? You could do a little at a time until you get what you need.
Posted via Mobile Device
I've done this before. A lot depends on how much material you have at the flat part of the bushing to the hole for the bar. There is probably a lot there, just shave away a little on the flat section until you get the fit you want. Also, you want to leave the bushing a little tall so that it will be slightly compressed by the bracket to help hold it in place. Be sure to lube the inside of the bushing with the sticky snot grease that should have been supplied with your bushings. Do NOT use any kind of petroleum based grease.
Rich69shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:06 AM   #4
midniteblues

I have seen conduit clamps used in place of the oe/aftermarket clamps for one reason or another.
They look very similar.
My clamps look slightly different than yours.
These are well used moog 1 1/4" bushings and oe clamps for comparison.
These are well crushed and still show 1/8-3/16" difference.
I think these bushes are part#5061.
Attached Images

'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:05 AM   #5
CastIron

I ended up grinding off a little of the bushings and using washers under the clamps. It seems to work just fine. I used some rubber grease (designed for brake caliper pins) on the bushings.
I took for a test drive and there is a noticeable difference in how it handles. A lot less body roll on corners, and seems to be more controlled hitting bumps. I can't believe I waited 15 years to do this! Now I just need an overdrive transmission and some power disc brakes.

Here's a picture of the truck, because I know everybody like pictures.
Name:  edit1.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  62.7 KB
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:26 AM   #6
AKC

I had to go look at the brackets from my donor with the K6476 bushings I have after seeing this post. Mine look fine. Whew! Don't do that!

My guess is your donor didn't have the correct brackets to begin with, they do look like conduit clamps. Might explain why the rubber bushings were trashed.

Glad you were able to make it work and are happy with the results. Nice lookin' ride...

Last edited by AKC; 05-11-2016 at 01:42 AM.
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #7
Rich69shortfleet

You will love disc brakes. When I put 71 discs and large rear drums on my 69 it was a completely different truck. It took towing from a scary proposition to a manageable experience. I only towed once or twice with the old drums, that convinced me to upgrade right away to discs.

I too would love to upgrade my TH350 to something with an overdrive.
Rich69shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote