The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2015, 04:18 PM   #1
Barbecue

Plugs/Wires/Loom recommendations and advice.

Hi there.

Looking for recommendations for a new set of plugs, wires, and wire loom options for my '86.

Basic info:
- '86 Silverado, 350, TH400
- all emissions controls removed, run's like a pre-emissions vehicle
- Eddie performer intake (in progress)
- rebuilt HEI dist
- rebuit pre-emissions q-jet with bigger jets
- RV cam
- mildly ported Exhaust manifolds from a '93 Silverado

The primary consideration here is the new exhaust manifolds (see pic). The manifold's runners approach the exhaust ports from below, so the stock wire routing (driver's side wires came up from below) won't work. I would like to have the wires all approach the plugs from above (over the valve covers).

Any advice would be most appreciated. I'm in Canada, so that may make a difference on what's available.

Thank you in advance, everyone.

BBQ
Attached Images

Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:20 AM   #2
tucsonjwt

Re: Plugs/Wires/Loom recommendations and advice.

If you change the routing of the wires, then a stock set built for your engine will not work. You will have to fabricate your own wires from bulk wire and ends, or try to find a set of longer wires and make them work. Some mechanics in the old days used to make their own plug wires, but I have not heard of anyone doing it lately. I only buy Belden wires from NAPA after bad experiences with other brands. I would check for a set or two that were long enough to get you a range of lengths and avoid making up your own wires. A big block set would probably get you longer lengths.

I think I am the only guy posting here who just buys the cheapest plugs on sale. Champions are on sale at least once a year (for free with rebate, usually on Black Friday - after U.S. Thanksgiving.) I don't think expensive plugs make much difference (if any) in performance, unless you are racing your vehicle.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:44 AM   #3
rich weyand

For plugs, most people say AC Delco R45TS. The dirt-track racers around here use Autolite 24s, which are a little cooler (less prone to pre-ignition, more prone to fouling), but the Autolites are known to be less foul prone than about anything.

For wires, in looking around the net, I saw a lot of posts like "If you don't want to spring for a set of Taylors, what wires would you buy?" So I bought the Taylors. Taylor #74206. With resistor plugs, you don't need resistor wires. They're $55, but they're the best.

For looming, I got the Proform 66292BKC valve cover hold downs with the looming clips built on. Gives a very cool look, like the wires are floating next to the engine, and helps keep the valve covers oil tight.

So here's what it looks like:

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #4
gmclowsierra

you can use a set of wires from a 93 chevy truck. I use acdelco for that style truck on our style trucks with headers. since those manifolds come of that year truck then the wires will fit. I just did a set on an 84 with headers and used those wires and mr gasket wire looms. I don't have the number but they were universal. they looked similar to rich weyands but instead of floating they were chrome.
gmclowsierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:08 PM   #5
Barbecue

Great advice, gents. Many thanks.

I really like the look of that loom, Rich. I'll definitely have a look at options similar to that. I've got to pull my valve covers and paint them (wrinkle paint) anyway, so now's the time to go down that road.
Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
rich weyand

Those hold-downs come in black, chrome, etc, so you can tailor the look. I like the black ones on chrome valve covers.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #7
CoggedBelt75

MSD 8.5mm wires with Billet Specialties looms

"Questions are a sign of intelligence indicating a desire to eliminate ignorance"
CoggedBelt75 is offline   Reply With Quote