The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2016, 11:10 PM   #1
Pzary3233

Pzary's 1955 3200 Task Force Shop Truck Build

Well I figure I might as well start a build thread. I have been collecting a lot of information from here and the HAMB. The past few weeks I have actually started to get some work done on the old truck and here's what I've got going on!

It all started with cash burning a hole in my pocket and a Craigslist ad for a truck over in Tupelo,MS the ad made the truck sound like it was pretty close to being a driver. 55' Chevy fresh 283 and 3 speed, new brakes, new shocks, new fuel system etc. well we all know how the story goes.... It was some of those things but far from all of it! Brakes were non existent with a new master cyl, trans stuck in 1st gear, shocks were junk, ther was NO wiring in the truck. However the bones were good. It needs fende lower patches, step plate patches but otherwise very solid. No rust in the hard to fix places!

Here are some pics from the ad... Can't see much and I figured the worry that could happen was I came back with an empty trailer.

Well you get the idea... She wasn't terrible but wasn't worth anywhere near asking price. Needless to say I ended up dragging her home.

First order of business was swapping out that three speed. As luck would have it Super Chevy was the following weekend. Dragged the truck over to the muffler shop and got some exhaust work done. I cannot stand exhaus leaks!

Then I headed up to Super Chevy to try to find a new trans. Came across a Saginaw 4 speed for 100 bucks that looked to be a runner. I was trying for an M20 Muncie but people wanted 1200 for piles of junk! What's up with that?!?! Guy even threw in a Hurst Competition Plus Shifter!

Then a quick online order for the install it and a shift lever. Id isn't get a 55 Chevy bench seat shift lever I got the one for a Chevy truck. It works out much better and I feel like the shifter is where it should be. It barely touches the bench seat in 2nd and 4th but has yet to be an issue.

Grabbed all the parts and gory everything mocked up on the bench. I hate adjusting shifters in the vehicle.

Stabbed it in and went to put in the driveshaft... I forgot about the odd yoke the 3 speed transmissions use. Glad I had a spare th350 yoke. Then I had to play the u-joint game... I HATE trying to go to the parts store with an odd mix of parts. Finally get the right u joint and we are driving again. Bled the brakes and they sorta stop! But later failed totally. Those brakes were SHOT!

Fast forward a few weeks I am trying to get a game plan together on what to do to get this truck low without bagging it. I don't do bagged trucks. I like them I like riding in them but I don't want to own a bagged truck. I also had to decide between keeping the solid front axle and getting Sid to drop it or go with an IFS (NOT a Camaro clip or MII). More on this later....

Now I have rear axle ADD I have three different rear ends for this truck...

66 F100 9" that measures 61.5" wms to wms - Disc Brakes are not easy on this swap - Explorer brakes would work with swapping housing ends and custom axles. But then I am looking at another $700 in parts for this to work. I should have done my homework. Early f100 9" axles only had 2" brake offset instead of the standard 2.5" offset. Then comes the wheel bolt patter issue as well...

01 Explorer 8.8 that measures 60" wms to wms - These axles are awesome and work great for a lot of applications. 31 spline axles,posi units from the factory, and a hot rod friendly width. However custom axles and machining of the rotors was not something I liked. The other issue is that the rear discs are solid not vented.

78 Firebird 8.5 10 Bolt that measures 61" wms to wms - Disc brakes are a snap -LS1 camaro brakes bolt on without modifications. No brake issues or bolt pattern issues. Not to mention it is the right width. More on the disc conversion in a few weeks when we get to that point.

I chose the 2nd gen F Body axle for its ease of fitment with regards to brakes as well as trying to keep the whole thing GM. First plan of attack was to get all the brackets off the axle. Out comes the trusty plasma cutter!

I had the brackets off in seriously 10 minutes and ground smooth in another 10. Fastest I've ever been able to do it. I will NEVER be without a plasma cutter again!

Once the axle was ground smooth I tacked the spring perches on but come to find out TCI was a littl bit off in their measurement. So I had to redo that once it was hanging in the truck.

I had previously primed and painted the TCI rear spring brackets and bolted them on. Drilled out the requisite 3/8th inch holes and bolted them the rest of the way on. Hung the leafs from the front eye and slid the axle in. Everything bolted up nicely except for the spring perches were too narrow by half of the perch width... Ground off the rack welds and repositioned and tacked it again. Buttoned everything up and threw some wheels on it. It looks GREAT!

I'll have to shorten the driveshaft but the pinion angle looks good and everything looks as though it will be just right. I MAY end up with a little lowering block in the rear but we will see.

Over all the TCI rear spring kit was awesome and well worth the money.

Next I will be installing the rear discs on the 10 bolt and getting ready for the front suspension. In the mean time I am thinking about swapping cabs but im not quite sure yet...

PS pics in the am my phone doesn't seem to like posting them....

'55 3200 283 4 speed
'68 Pontiac Firebird Poncho powered with a 6 speed
Pzary3233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:22 AM   #2
Kim57

Re: Pzary's 1955 3200 Task Force Shop Truck Build

Sounds like you've done a lot to your truck.
Pics didn't load.
Kim
Old 05-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #3
Pzary3233

Alright pictures didn't work.... Here we go!

Craigslist Ad Pictures:

Saginaw with Hurst Shifter and Shifter Stick:

A little air cleaner bling:

9" Axle:

10 Bolt 8.5:

Then came the fun part getting the rear of the truck LOW!

Stock height:

Frame cleared of all brackets and rear suspension:

TCI Brackets Bolted up:

TCI Double Leaf Spring, I like these better then mono leafs!

Everything installed on the ground!

'55 3200 283 4 speed
Old 05-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #4
Pzary3233

LS1 Camaro Rear Brakes

A quick over view with step by step instructions if you need them. I am following this guys approach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RHV1SCw6Pg

This guy has a bunch of great videos pretty cool really.

Anyway the parts list is as follows:

Left and right brackets complete with hardware and ebrake assemblies
Left and Right Calipers with Baskets
Left and Right Rotors
BMR Spacers
Dorman 610-157 studs
E Brake Cables - I am not sure what I am going to do here

This guy has a good breakdown of the individual parts needed if you don't get the parts off of a car: http://www.poltergeist.us/page/elky/.../ls1brakes.htm

Keep in mind that you do NOT have to get these off of a V8 car. The V6 car has the SAME EXACT BRAKES! You are looking for any 1998-2002 Camaro or Firebird.

I feel these brakes will work well with the C4 front brakes that I will be using with the Flat Out Engieering C4 IFS kit.

I'll post back up when I get everything rounded up!

'55 3200 283 4 speed
Old 05-23-2016, 11:15 AM   #5
Kim57

Looks like a nice solid truck.
Nice up grades so far.
Kim
Old 05-23-2016, 12:05 PM   #6
Russell Ashley

That's the same rear suspension that I have in my truck. It rides a little rougher than I expected but not as rough as the original. Mine is a short bed so your long bed might ride a little better since you have some more weight and a longer over hang in the rear.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #7
Pzary3233

Yeah, I thought that it might be a bit rough but I figured I can swap springs out later... It's a truck afterall... I also think some of it might be in the shocks... The replacement shock is a rear C3 vette piece so one can find some decent shocks for the vette and try them out. I also think that I could still swap to posies springs if I wanted to...

'55 3200 283 4 speed
Old 06-06-2016, 11:44 AM   #8
Pzary3233

Alright I was able to sneek over to the shop for a little bit Sunday afternoon. I got through the rear disc brake swap. Easy as pie! I do not know why I never did this on my other cars, it really is as easy as they say it is.

A quick disclaimer: If you can't pull axles you don't need to do this... I'm just showing you what I did on my personal truck. What you do on yours is your own problem. When working with brakes always remember that this is what keeps you alive!

I started out with a complete 2002 Camaro axle with brakes and all. This way you get brackets, clips, lines, etc.

The basic parts list is as listed above:

Quote:
Left and right brackets complete with hardware and ebrake assemblies
Left and Right Calipers with Baskets
Left and Right Rotors
BMR Spacers
Dorman 610-157 studs
E Brake Cables - I am not sure what I am going to do here
Here are the basics laid out:

Wheel Studs if you need them:

Bare 10 Bolt Housing End:

BRP Hot Rod's 1/4" Spacer - Yes I could have made it but dang it my time is worth something!

Everything just slides on:

I was even able to use the original 2002 Camaro hardware for the backing plates!

I got lucky and did not need to turn down the OD of the axle flange. New wheels studs and the rotor/wheel fits.

I was short on time so I did not get the calipers on but I saved the lines, calipers, and brackets that hold the E Brake cables. I think I can use them and then I will be able to use the factory cables? we'll see!

I also scored a super clean '55 cab that I will be replacing this rusty one with. It will need cab corners but that is the ONLY area of rust. I will also put a roof skin on it because it had clearance lights and a yellow flasher at one point. It has GREAT patina and if I was going that route I'd keep it, but someone primered over all of the really cool hand drawn lettering so I don't know how I could save it... I may try CLR on it, I've had good luck with it in the past.

'55 3200 283 4 speed