The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2021, 11:16 AM   #1
thedudeabides86

To Do It or Not To Do It? Front end rebuild

Hi there. I'm debating on whether I should attack this job myself, or pay to have it done right.

I need new control arms, tie rods, and whatever else I should do when I'm in there to get a good alignment as I got new tires put on last fall as I was told everything was worn enough that a proper alignment couldn't be done.

So, what do you do? I've never done this part of the truck myself and I'm not sure what vendor to buy parts from or whether I should just cough up the Benjamin's and pay someone to do it.

I was told Moog parts are really good and a local garage quoted me those parts with a complete redo for about $2,000.

With all the great members out here, I ask of you, How'd you go about it? Do it yourself or pay for it to just be done? I love this board as it helped me, a guy who had no idea how to swap a motor in my truck, to ACTUALLY swap a motor in my truck! You all are an AMAZING resource for problem solving and parts and I can't thank everyone enough.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:20 AM   #2
68Gold/white

Re: To Do It or Not To Do It? Front end rebuild

Moog parts ARE the only parts to use.
If you tackle it your self, any questions can be answered here.............
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:28 AM   #3
MARKDTN

I would do it myself. Not that hard. Pickle fork tool is readily available and inexpensive. The rest is basic hand tools that you probably already have. Align it the best you can using the old shims and drive immediately to get it aligned. If you have some old front tires to get it there that helps too. MOOG is good stuff, I would not use anything else.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:12 PM   #4
68 P.O.S.

Do it yourself, you'll gain some experience, save some money, and maybe even get some new tools...for less than the shop will charge. It's actually not difficult at all.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:14 PM   #5
BigBird05

As said it is not at all hard, but could be dangerous for a novice. The coil spring is under a lot of pressure. Watch a lot of videos before you start.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:31 PM   #6
57larry

read up on how to do it, then do it! nothing better than working on your own stuff. good luck
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:41 PM   #7
thedudeabides86

Thanks for all the advice guys. Obviously tires will have to come off, but will the grill and front bumper need to be removed at all? I imagine not, but if it's easier, then maybe?

Here's where I plan to buy the parts. I suppose I should add the idler arm and pitman arm?

https://www.moog-suspension-parts.co...20_pickup_1972

I don't see that the control arms are included in this kit, but when I search by my vehicle type, this is the only part I see for control arm parts.

https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k6147

I'll do some more research into what I'll actually be replacing and basically replace everything as long as the wife doesn't kill me?

Sabin
Old 07-19-2021, 07:30 PM   #8
jimijam00

DIY, then pay the alignment shop for a good alignment, not one of the "set the toe and go" jobs. Buy lots of beer with what is left over out of that $2K. Finding someone to do the job that is competent AND will take the time to do the job right is not easy as it was 20 years ago.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:42 PM   #9
BigBird05

You don't need to replace the control arms unless you want to lower the front of the truck. You will (should) replace the bushings.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:38 PM   #10
thedudeabides86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird05 View Post
You don't need to replace the control arms unless you want to lower the front of the truck. You will (should) replace the bushings.
Control arm bushings. Got it. I found a good video from Brother's Truck I'll have to watch when the kids go to bed so I can actually hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dTIQ7mfWlg
Old 07-19-2021, 08:50 PM   #11
Grumpy old man

Buy Moog parts from rockauto and use Dorman 13503 lower U bolts

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...kit/mtm0/13503

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 07-19-2021 at 09:12 PM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:36 PM   #12
67C10Step

If you are going all the way and taking the lower control arm off to do the bushings and cross shaft then definitely do the u bolt upgrade Grumpy referred to. Not that difficult and any added safety is just a bonus.

Overall the job is not technically difficult but take your time. I did my first front end rebuild when I was about 17 (1986) but under the watchful eye of my grandfather and uncle. Funny thing, I used the same pickle fork to tear down the front end on my 67 last fall.

Now onto my MOOG rant. Here is a photo of the two outer tie rod boots I installed last September. Zero miles on the truck since installation and stored inside since then. Waiting on a response from MOOG right now.
Attached Images

2024 Toyota Tundra
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:52 PM   #13
Pro299

All good advice, but . . .

This is not a basic hand tools job. To change the ball joints you'll need to buy or rent the proper tool kit. As mentioned, if you've never dealt with spring removal or install be very careful.
Personally, I wouldn't recommend a novice tackle that part alone. Pittman arm will require a puller which can also be rented. Getting the shafts off the arms and back on again can be a bear, especially the lower. It will take a large socket set to do. Again, loaners or rentals may be available.

Not trying to discourage you, especially if you're comfortable wrenching but just haven't done this particular job. If so, go for it. If not, I'd recommend lots of study and how-to vids, especially those springs. Be safe. And of course, if you have questions once you get into the job, this is a good place to get help.
Pro299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:46 AM   #14
saxart

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides86 View Post

Here's where I plan to buy the parts.
https://www.moog-suspension-parts.co...20_pickup_1972
Sabin
Don't buy your parts from that site. Do what Grumpy Old Man says......They are a lot cheaper on Rockauto.com
Old 07-20-2021, 08:43 AM   #15
Happy_dan

Do it! There is a great amount of help here. The only thing I have to say again is be very careful with springs. Wire them to something in case they let go.
Happy_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:10 AM   #16
68 P.O.S.

Install a sway bar while you're doing all of that
Old 07-20-2021, 03:20 PM   #17
Reddeye

I actually just finished doing this same thing last weekend on my '72 C20. I'm handy but not a mechanic by any means. A buddy and I did the entire thing ourselves - front springs, ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, and sway bar bushings. We also removed all the control arms since I had to drill out the rivets to remove the upper balls joints and to get the lower ball joints in. The most trouble we had was getting the spring on the passenger side to seat properly on both the upper and lower control arm seats, but the driver side went in with zero trouble. Great learning experience. All Moog parts except for the sway bar bushings, which were Energy Suspension polyurethane.

Last edited by Reddeye; 07-20-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Reddeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:11 PM   #18
cj847

I'm with pro 299. Have someone else do it.

Unless:
-You really want to learn it.
-You own a cut off wheel, a BFH, and an air chisel, .
-You have another vehicle to drive while working on it (keep in mind you may get mad and quit working on it for a few days - ask me how I know).

These are heavy, rusty, gunk coated parts and is a PITA project.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:43 PM   #19
jimijam00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro299 View Post
you'll need to buy or rent the proper tool kit
OReilly's Auto Parts has these tools in their free loaner program. CC deposit and no charge when you return them, so that's like free. Autozone and others may do the same.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:28 PM   #20
thedudeabides86

Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it. This isn't my daily driver so I'm not really worried about down time. I swapped the engine from a bad 305 to a strong 350 a few years ago and it took about 6 months and I had no idea how to do it. Everything I learned to accomplish it, I got from this forum board, family, and friends. I'm hoping that I can get it done faster than the engine swap obviously and I just want to be safe about it and do it right. 68 P.O.S says install a sway bar while I tackle this. Do I not have sway bars? What do they do? The more I watch videos and read about it, the more I figure I just need to replace tie rods ends and balls joints? I did have it up on jack stands a few months ago and there's wobble back and forth and top to bottom when I grab the tire. I do plan on sweet talking my father in law to helping me out and I'd like to be able to get it done in a weekend so I don't miss making it to certain car shows. That being said, the next 3 weekends are planned for small trips and such so it'll be a while before I tackle it. I'm just doing ground work, I guess. Is there anyone on the forum board that's nearby the NW metro of Minneapolis that will supervise for a case of beer and a stiff handshake?
Old 07-21-2021, 04:49 AM   #21
BigBird05

I don't mind answering any questions that you might have as you work your way thru the project. You can literally text me right in the middle of working on it. Pm me for my phone # and I can give you my automotive back ground.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:49 AM   #22
bigmac73

do not waste your time drilling the rivets out on the upper ball joints. Get a angle grinder and cutting wheel is the way to go, slice off the top off of the rivets and then knock them through with a drift punch.

if you drop the lower a frames the I would just take them to a local machine shop and have them press out old ball joints and push in the new ones, unless you have the tool or a press.

when you do the tie rods count the threads or take measurements prior to removing the old ones so everything goes back as before
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:18 AM   #23
thedudeabides86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird05 View Post
I don't mind answering any questions that you might have as you work your way thru the project. You can literally text me right in the middle of working on it. Pm me for my phone # and I can give you my automotive back ground.
Cool. Thank you. That will be really helpful.

Sabin
Old 07-21-2021, 12:01 PM   #24
68 P.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides86 View Post
68 P.O.S says install a sway bar while I tackle this. Do I not have sway bars? What do they do?
Yes! You should definitely look at adding a sway bar while you're messing with the whole front end, if you don't already have one. You're gonna have to look at your SPID or under your front end to see if you have one because they were only an option back then, not standard equipment. What the bar does is improve handling. It keeps the front end flat during turns and what not, eliminating body roll. Lots of aftermarket companies sell the sway bars or you can go junkyard hunting. Here's a good thread on installing one: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=72338
Old 07-21-2021, 12:20 PM   #25
68 P.O.S.

Here's a shopping list of everything you need for the front end rebuild:

Upper ball joints
Lower ball joints
Tie rods
Tie rod adjustment sleeves
Pitman arm (manual or power steering specific)
Idler arm
Lower control arm bushing
Upper control arm bushing
Lower control arm shaft 9/16" u-bolts (Dorman 13503)

You may need a new rag joint/steering coupler as well.