The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 07:15 PM   #1
Warp53

Need Help locating 1953 Title

Almost finished with my !953 pickup and went to register for plates it found out mine was bogus

Last edited by 63 & 64 Bowties; 09-09-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Need Help locating 1953 Title

Lucky they didn't impound it.

Title was bogus or vin was bogus or??

I have bought rusted out hulks that were barely good for scrap metal because they had a clear title and matching vin plate before.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:05 AM   #3
iowaboynca

I'm praying to the truck gods that you got a serial number plate attached to the driver side cowl...otherwise you got no bueno
Old 08-29-2016, 01:45 AM   #4
joedoh

always. always. ALWAYS.

always take care of registration before starting work. here they CRUSH vehicles with bad titles/VIN, you are really lucky.

doesnt help you now, I know, sorry. I dont know how to help you though, so maybe the guy who reads this next will title his truck before he turns a single screw.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
Old 08-29-2016, 07:54 AM   #5
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Welcome to the forum Warp53
Sorry to hear about your title problem.
But, just a fair warning.... requests on this forum for illegal title/vin swaps won't be tolerated.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
Old 08-29-2016, 04:51 PM   #6
OrrieG

Need more info. Is it not have a number plate on the jamb? Some states originally titled using the engine number and it never got corrected as the truck passed thru different owners. Did you get a title with it and transfer it at that time? Or just a bill of sale? You do not like your location so we cannot tell if its going to be difficult or easy. IF you have a title and bill of sale that match a number on the truck and person you got it from is cooperative might be easy. If not you might need to got thru a bonded title process where they check all 50 States to see if it shows up stolen and if no one comes forward in three years you get a regular title. If there are no numbers on the cab then you might need to get an assigned VIN and go thru the same dance.

Swapping VIN from one vehicle to another is against the law so no help there. Since they may already now have a record of you showing up with a "bogus" title, coming back with a magically provided good one might cause more problems than solutions...
Old 08-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #7
Warp53

Bogus may be to strong a word, what happened is when i purchased the truck I went to DMV to make sure paper was good.Everything was fine and they issued me a registration pending inspection of vin plate when i completed build. I went in for the inspection and the they said I had a questionable vin plate because it was installed with pop rivets and told me to go CHP to get cleared.The officer looked at the Vin plate said it was not right because the VIN number ended with the letters CAL. After 3 hours of research he gave up and told me he would get back to it 1 to 3months BUT he believed I would have register it as a modified vehicle (Kit car).The truck was last registered in CA in 1984 and I think it was an assigned vin at that time but the DMV has no records before 2000. I can not find anything that states that California DMV used CAL at end of vin number in the 80's.

Last edited by Warp53; 08-29-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:42 PM   #8
mongocanfly
Post Whore

If you've got a vin give this a shot..OrrieG put this up the other day...http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/vin/vinbuster.html
Old 08-29-2016, 08:22 PM   #9
iowaboynca

You may want to look into 3rd party inspections services as well just to see if they know anything about your VIN from the 80s and they might be able to do your inspection too.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #10
BIGglaSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp53 View Post
After 3 hours of research he gave up and told me he would get back to it 1 to 3months BUT he believed I would have register it as a modified vehicle (Kit car).
Sounds like this is the route you need to pursue. Using another title is illegal.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:40 PM   #11
Jemezcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp53 View Post
Bogus may be to strong a word, what happened is when i purchased the truck I went to DMV to make sure paper was good.Everything was fine and they issued me a registration pending inspection of vin plate when i completed build. I went in for the inspection and the they said I had a questionable vin plate because it was installed with pop rivets and told me to go CHP to get cleared.The officer looked at the Vin plate said it was not right because the VIN number ended with the letters CAL. After 3 hours of research he gave up and told me he would get back to it 1 to 3months BUT he believed I would have register it as a modified vehicle (Kit car).The truck was last registered in CA in 1984 and I think it was an assigned vin at that time but the DMV has no records before 2000. I can not find anything that states that California DMV used CAL at end of vin number in the 80's.
The vin plate on my 47 and 50 cabs were attached with clutch head screws
Closed Thread