The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2016, 05:26 PM   #1
pwdcougar

2WD vs 4WD Suburban bodies

I'm drawing up plans for a wooden cart to put my 2WD body on so I can move it around and finally get rid of the 2WD frame. This body is going onto my 70 4WD frame. None of the measurements seem to make sense.

Is there a difference between a 2WD and 4WD body? I know the frames are different because of the rear coils on the 2WD and the leafs on the 4WD. I would have thought the frame mounts would be in the same spots.

I laid a 16 foot 2 X 12 on the frame mounts of my 4WD frame. When I held it on the two front cab mounts I marked the locations and elevation differences for the middle mount and the rear two mounting locations. On my board the front two mounts and the rear two mounting locations are on the same plane. The only difference is the center mount just in front of the rear suspension which is two inches higher.

What is confusing me is that crawling under my 2WD body and frame it looks like a noticeable difference between the front two mount locations and the rear mount locations where the plywood floor is higher than the cab floor.

Does any of this make sense?

Paul
Attached Images

1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:04 PM   #2
pwdcougar

Re: 2WD vs 4WD Suburban bodies

Think I found the answer to my own question. The front two mounts are not in the same plane, not at the same height. RRRRR! back to the drawing board!

Paul
Attached Images

1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
Old 10-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #3
notchbackgta

So are the bodys different. or just the frames? I too will be doing 2wd body on a 4wd frame eventually
notchbackgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:10 PM   #4
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by notchbackgta View Post
So are the bodys different. or just the frames? I too will be doing 2wd body on a 4wd frame eventually
I think the bodies are the same. The frames are way different. The 2WD frame bows out in the rear for the trailing arms and coils. The 4WD frame sides are parallel like a ladder.

My problem is how I held the board and thinking that the front two frame brackets were the same distance from the ground. If you look in my second picture the first body bracket has a step in it where the second bracket is even with the top of the frame.

I think if I take my 2X12 and set it up level to the garage floor then mark the frame bracket heights on it things will work out better.

Never a dull moment

Paul
Old 10-11-2016, 03:04 PM   #5
notchbackgta

WHEW, ok. That is relatively good news then, lol. I can deal with having to make body mounts, if needed, to align the bushings to the other frame.
notchbackgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:03 PM   #6
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I believe he's correct. When I was researching this I found that the bodies were the same but the frames were different. Too bad I've only found 1 affordable 4wd burb frame around me and then a massive tree fell on said 4wd burb after I made the deal with my buddy.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote