The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2016, 12:05 AM   #1
Smallz72project

Hack Job AC conversion!

My 86 K10 either was a non ac, or had a non ac cab swapped onto it at some point. Heater was not working and blower was only blowing around the passenger side end of the diverter (corner is broken not allowing it to seal). I found that they cut the firewall to accept AC but left the non ac hole there (it should be welded shut for it to work). This weekend I am going to disassemble the truck enough to cut out that part of the firewall and weld in new metal. The ac is not functional and is missing half the parts for it anyhow (all that's present is the underhood ac components on firewall, ac diverter box, and control unit), so I want to just go back to a regular heater as AC isn't vital for me in Montana. Shy of junk yards, where would I be able to find the non ac diverter box and the non ac blower pod for inside the engine bay?

Thanks in advance!
Smallz72project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:17 AM   #2
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

Re: Hack Job AC conversion!

Ebay or craigslist etc
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:31 AM   #3
andrewmp6

This might work http://www.acdelete.com/pages/73-90_Truck.htm
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:23 AM   #4
Smallz72project

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
Thanks, I have seen those before. I wish I could use it, however I still have to weld one of the holes up, so since I'm there might as well just to it the right way.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:29 AM   #5
Smallz72project

I pulled the truck in the shop and started surgery to repair what the p.o had hacked up on this truck. Winters coming and I need heat!

Pulled the right front inner and outer fenders so I can gain unrestricted access to the firewall. I removed the A/C blower motor and condenser housing to assess what exactly they had done. I also disassembled my 84's (Mater) so I could see what an unmolested firewall should look like.

First order of business was to just clean up the area and make a patch to close the hole for the A/C. Today I'm going to finish welding in the patch, and then turn my attention to repairing the hacked up original non a/c pass through.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2016, 01:18 PM   #6
Smallz72project

Made some more headway with the truck. I was trying to get the firewall as smooth as I could and was using most of my time on it. I decided that I need to be okay with the way it is as its my daily driver, and the weather is getting colder by the day. Its under the hood so its not going to be seen all the time. So I went ahead and finished it out with primer and sealer, and test fit the new blower housing. I still need to address the metal inside the cab, and find a blue that somewhat resembles the shade of blue the truck is. I should be able to get the blower housing, and the air diverter box installed and mounted today. Then all that's left is finding the correct control unit, wiring, and cables.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2016, 09:27 PM   #7
Smallz72project

Can anyone tell me what year this style diverter box came out? The guy I got it from said he thinks its from either a 78 or 79. Its got the defrost to floor spliter door, the one right behind the heater core, and another door furthest to the right that appears to just shut off cabin recirculation?? Also when looking on LMC they talk about the size of vent hole on the blower motor, but I don't know what they are referring to as I don't see a vent hole on any of the blower motors I have available to look at. Just trying to figure out what control unit, wires and connectors, and cables I'm going to need to buy or source to get this operational. Thanks
Attached Images