The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #1
nikwho

Bolt in low transmission tunnel?

Hello all,

I have a '68 GMC SWB. Has a SBC/TH-350. It has tons of room between the hump and tranny/bell housing. Anyway, all of my searchING has been of guys covering their low hump trucks to high humps. Now, I was gonna leave this alone, but I accidentally ordered low hump carpet. I was packaging it up to ship back to Classic Industries (on my dime, since it was my mistake) and I got to thinking about just making the truck a low hump. My U-Polaris Raptor liner kit is being delivered, as is my shift kit and 2,600 RPM stall converter. So, I was thinking about removing the high hump (and saving it) and building a low hump tunnel that would bolt right in place. I was curious if anyone else has done this? Or, if there is any company out there that sells low height tunnels that bolt in place of the tall tunnel?

Thanks everyone!

Nik
Old 12-19-2016, 03:03 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Bolt in low transmission tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikwho View Post
Hello all,

I have a '68 GMC SWB. Has a SBC/TH-350. It has tons of room between the hump and tranny/bell housing. Anyway, all of my searchING has been of guys covering their low hump trucks to high humps. Now, I was gonna leave this alone, but I accidentally ordered low hump carpet. I was packaging it up to ship back to Classic Industries (on my dime, since it was my mistake) and I got to thinking about just making the truck a low hump. My U-Polaris Raptor liner kit is being delivered, as is my shift kit and 2,600 RPM stall converter. So, I was thinking about removing the high hump (and saving it) and building a low hump tunnel that would bolt right in place. I was curious if anyone else has done this? Or, if there is any company out there that sells low height tunnels that bolt in place of the tall tunnel?

Thanks everyone!

Nik

Most people just get a low hump cut out of another truck and bolt it in. If you type "high hump to low hump conversion" in the Google search box at the top of this page, click on the circle in front of "67-72chevytrucks.com" and click on the Google button you will find quite a few threads on the subject. Just make sure the thread is related to the '67-'72 trucks. Hits will include all years.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:43 PM   #3
nikwho

Thank you. I may not have searched just right. My search results came back with only low to high hump conversions and square body info. I'll try again. I was hopeful to see pictures of stuff that guys made. I was thinking of making my own by cutting a piece of pipe in half length-wise and clamping it over some 16ga aluminum in the brake and roll it to a matching contour. Was curious if anyone else had made their own. Would be quicker and faster than finding and removing a piece of another cab.

Nik C.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #4
Aruba1

If it helps any, if I can understand the question, I had a low hump tunnel and I installed a low hump one piece rubber mat. A year later I upgraded (normal course is to upgrade from low to high hump) to high hump and I had to cut the low hump out to bolt the high hump in place (the low hump is molded onto the floor). I was able to use the low hump rubber mat with the high hump. It's not perfect but I could make it perfect but mine is not a show truck.

Avoid the headache of downgrading your truck. It's a lot of work unless you make it a quick hack job (the low hump will need to be extended at the edges to bolt or weld in place. Just order a high hump carpet and sell the low hump one. If you want to give it a try, I can mail you my low hump rough "cut-out" if you cover the shipping charges.
Aruba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #5
nikwho

I look at it a little differently than the masses, I suppose. I don't want to just do what most guys do. I don't view a bigger tunnel as an upgrade, or lower as a downgrade. I have always built my tunnels to clear my tranny. I will likely just build my own tunnel. I was asking to see photos of similar work. I'm not worried about the cost of the carpet. I can easily ship my low hump carpet back and exchange for high hump. I have about 6" of clearance between my bellhousing and my hump. It's wasted space in the cab of the truck. I do appreciate your offer of shipping your factory low tunnel. If I end up building my own tunnel, I'll post pictures here. If anyone else has done similar work, I'd love to see pictures!

Thanks,
Nik C.