The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2017, 05:56 PM   #1
MYOUNG

Exhaust Flex joints needed??

I was going to finish up my new exhaust this weekend but before I start welding I was worried that I should have some sort of flex joint instead of having the entire system be welded together.

I am currently running the factory rams horns with 2 1/4 pipe and I added an H pipe kit from speedway. The 2 down pipes and the H pipe kit are currently welded together as an "H" section. I was just going to clamp the rear muffler sections to the front "H" section, add some hangers and call it good but I considered adding two of those braided/woven wire sections in between the "H" pipe and each leg of the rear muffler sections. I don't know if this is needed ??

Does anybody out there use a full welded dual exhaust from stem to stern with an H pipe and have any issues or is flex joint needed ??

Thanks
MYOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Exhaust Flex joints needed??

save your money no flex joint needed as long as your using the factory type hangers
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:39 PM   #3
MYOUNG

Re: Exhaust Flex joints needed??

I bought 4 hangers that are basically a piece of belted rubber with a clamp at one end and a generic piece of pre drilled flat stock at the other. Are factory hangers more like the rubber blocks with a hook through each end??

I wanted to allow some play but I guess how much is the question.

Thanks for the response. I have looked at some other members exhaust pictures and it looks as though nobody uses the flex joints so I wont use them now.
MYOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote