The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2021, 10:33 PM   #1
ItWillBeSlow

A-Pillar rust behind weather stripping - normal?

I recently removed the side and upper weather stripping on my truck and found a nice surprise on both sides. On the vertical A-pillar section, I have some notable rust, see pictures below. This is fairly symmetrical on both sides.

It was not rusted through, however I did make a pinhole with a screwdriver trying to see how solid it was. I have done floor pans/rockers/cab corners on this truck already and should be able to get this taken care of, it was just an unpleasant surprise. I would consider the condition of my cab average for the southeast region.

I am curious if rust is common in this area, and if there may possibly mean anything more. My drip rail area has some visible surface rust, but appears to be pretty solid best I can tell. I haven't removed the windshield or taken the multiple paint layers off yet to know the full condition.

Any tips? This area doesn't look too fun since its so close to the dash.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2021, 08:48 AM   #2
sick472

Re: A-Pillar rust behind weather stripping - normal?

I'd say that's very common with the exception that yours is not very bad. Depending on extent that you wish to take the work...you could wire wheel it and coat it with your choice of primer/rust inhibiting paint, but I would consider taping off the good areas (dash maybe and interior if you do not plan on redoing it) and get a cheap sandblaster gun/pot combo and really get the rust removed. Then self etch prime, fill prime, and paint. There also the rust removing gels that work pretty good, but I prefer blasting.

With that said, I would get the windshield out first and find out the condition of the rest of the hidden areas. That way you can, first, determine if any of it is really bad, and, secondly, I like to do as much blasting all at once so that I am not cleaning up sand multiple times. It gets in every nook and cranny.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:03 PM   #3
Southpaw69

I'm no pro, but I'd wire wheel it and see how bad it is before deciding exactly what to do. Honestly, that doesn't look bad at all.
Southpaw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:54 PM   #4
Davidf

Yep, my truck had similar rust. Only one or two spots was bad enough to have to weld in new metal.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:54 PM   #5
ItWillBeSlow

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I do have a handheld siphon feed sand blaster gun. I prefer not to use it for the reasons mentioned if possible, but it is a good option. I am also repainting the interior and dash, so damage is not really an issue, i meant it from a clearance point-of-view in my original post, but I wouldn't really need to get to the back side anyway.

Ill probably start with wire wheel and see how that goes. IMO it would be best handled by full removal and patch, I think the time saved may cause undue stress that it could come back.

Davidf, did you make your own patches for the areas you corrected? I have some leftover inner rocker/floor sheet metal that has a curve in it with a similar radius I could probably use.