The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2019, 11:58 PM   #1
Shawn5800

Beginner Build*

Hey guys,

I picked this truck up running and driving two years ago. 1970 C10 stepside with 400 SB. I have absolutely no knowledge of these trucks previous to buying other than I knew I always wanted one. Previous owner had some engine work done to it like rebuild, brand new carb setup, new gas tank and some brake lines including emergency brake. It has discs in front which I think has been converted? It's also been converted to a 3 speed auto on the floor.

In finally getting around to doing some work to it now(New Years resolution:p) I don't have any grand plans other than putting some new life into the worn parts and cleaning up the frame and doing the body work. I appreciated the truck much more when I could drive it but realized fast it needed work to be safe again.

Excuse my lack of automotive terms:

-Rear end (pinion seal?) where the driveshaft connects is leaking. **Can I replace this seal without removed all internals?

-Both rear drum wheel cylinders are leaking fluid. (Atleast it doesn't smell like diff fluid)

-Passenger side brake line coming off the splitter on rear end has been pinched shut due to the way it was routed, exhaust was putting pressure down on it and heating up. ( Explains why one tire would lock up when braking in rear ?)

-Trailing arms are rotted through. **Anyone have a decent used set please PM me!

Anyway, I'm determined to get atleast the back portion of the truck functional again before spring and maybe even some body work done on the stepside bed before then also.

Pics attached. Thanks for any help here and look forward to speaking with you all.
Attached Images

Shawn5800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:01 AM   #2
Shawn5800

Re: Beginner Build*

More pics attached
Attached Images

Shawn5800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:15 AM   #3
Andyking1203

Re: Beginner Build*

Not a bad looking truck... this board has a lot to offer!!!

Pinion seal yes can be replaced without removen to much.
Andyking1203 is offline   Reply With Quote