The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
LH Lead-Foot

LS rocker needle bearings on top of head

With one rocker arm cover or valve cover removed, I found two needles bearings that came from one of the rocker arms. I was starting to reseal the engine with a complete engine gasket set. Glad I was doing this now anyhow.
I have looked into it and see a lot of kits from imported kits running from $55 to domestic kits at $150 & up. They indicate the use of captured needle bearings cups that are pressed in the rocker arm. Now these kits come with little tools, like large hole washers to push the OEM rocker arms needle seat out of the old rocker, clean up and press in the new ones. Plus, a few, sell brass bushings that eliminate the needles completely. Other sell rocker arms updated complete and ready to go.
Question; Has anyone had this failure or have experience with the different kits offered?
This donor is a 5.3L Vortec engine from an 2003 Tahoe that did not make any noise, has 160-168 PSI compression with 12 PSI oil pressure warmed at idle and 64 at higher PRMs using a SnapOn actual "Bourdon Tube" gauge while running the engine on create mounted stand and pressure pot with gas & 10% ACDelco X66P upper engine cleaner, I use to clean the valve and injectors. Unknown mileage but could be around 130k.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:26 PM   #2
Willie Makeit

Re: LS rocker needle bearings on top of head

Lots of folks opt for the trunnion upgrade that does away with the needle bearings entirely by using bronze bushings.

Brian Tooley Racing offers a kit for $115 that TONS of folks use that have the needle bearings.

Last edited by Willie Makeit; 04-27-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:22 PM   #3
LH Lead-Foot

Thanks for the update and info. I am sure I saw the Brian Tooley Racing products while looking at trunions with bronze bushings.
In reality, if you look at the total movement of a rocker arm while in motion, it does not move or pivot very far. The use of bronze bushings does eliminate any type of needle bearing, the bronze bushing type should hold up to the forces and stains of higher lift camshafts being used.
Thanks again for the input.

Anyone else seen needle bearing failures as I was just wondering how common they cause fail?
Old 04-28-2019, 12:35 PM   #4
AZ 67 C10

If you look over at the ls1tech forum you can find instances of them failing and taking out the motor. I wouldn't say it's common but it does happen and it's a cheap upgrade for piece of mind. I did the BTR trunion upgrade,it was pretty easy.
AZ 67 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
LH Lead-Foot

Thanks for that info. I have so much going on, I honestly forgot to try a search using the correct wording.

Your are correct. Sad to say a little needle bearing part that cost pennies, can take out an entire engine build.

Thanks again for the reply!
Old 04-29-2019, 09:23 AM   #6
A1971Blazer

Here's what might have happened if you hadn't found it
LS7...I heard a ticking sound....
then a LOUD ticking sound...
then a gut wrenching "Oh sh!t" sound...
all within a few seconds....
couldn't get stopped fast enough..

LS7 with 4500 miles.....destroyed in an instant

I later discovered that mine wasn't the only one to suffer this catastrophe
Luckily it was replaced under warranty

it's ugly
Name:  IMG_0004.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  53.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0010.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  41.6 KB
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:38 AM   #7
LH Lead-Foot

Back in the 70's when imports and others needed valve adjustment, they get to the point where the rocker actually fell off. No one was adjusting "Slant Six" engines and people thought I was a genius when they got their car back after coming in for just a tune up...When tune meant tune up.

And "Me Too"...I am triggered and need a safe place.
If I hear that "Oh **** Sound" in my engine.

Method #1 It's the same feeling that you could hear at a Jiffy Lube, when a 17 year old tech parks the car and brings in the keys inside, when they realize no one put oil in it.

Method #2 The customer says the same thing about 12 blocks away after paying for a PCV & Air Filter, plus oil change, when the engine makes that same "Oh ****" noise!

I have removed the drain plug from a differential once, and nothing came out. That causes that same noise to come out of my mouth!

Loud radios' sell a lot of car parts!
Old 04-29-2019, 12:16 PM   #8
93Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Makeit View Post
Lots of folks opt for the trunnion upgrade that does away with the needle bearings entirely by using bronze bushings.

Brian Tooley Racing offers a kit for $115 that TONS of folks use that have the needle bearings.
Agreed I'd go with Bushing upgrade rather than needle bearing.

I have installed Straub's version and they have great Customer Service. I have used BTR for other products (BTR's version wasn't out at the time) and they have great customer service as well. I believe Smith Brothers and CHE also offer their versions.

Check the pushrod ends and cups in the rocker for any wear during replacement.
93Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:52 PM   #9
LH Lead-Foot

Thanks for the parts lead and info. I have a touch of perfectionism when it comes to vehicle parts. After keeping everything in order, wash one by one, I will put an eye of each area that touches something else for wear.

I had a dealer customer my age, who was a joker and always had jokes to tell, later I found out he did jewelry and paid him to do a few thing for me & wife. He had a front diff go bad about five years or more later and he gave me a magnifying eye piece / head set. He had replaced them as his vision prescription had changed and said he had no use for them.
With adjustable focal point ring, like binoculars, it has a fixed 20X magnifying effect for both eyes, but the front folds up for one eye use that allows for normal plus magnified viewing by closing one eye. It comes in a velvet lined case and comes in great for these older eyes as well for comfortable viewing at a comfortable distance.

I think bronze bushings is the way to go. I can't tell from some photos but it appears that oil enters from a pocket on top, thru a hole, but the bushing is grooved left & right to provide lubrication. After all, depending on lift, these things don't move much, but the bushing would appear to spread an extreme load over a large area. So, like I said, I could see cams with high lift, these should be required. Even if the cam is stock these would last a life time.

Once again, thanks!

Information is knowledge, execution of knowledge leads to perfection...or as close any man or women can get it.