The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2019, 06:03 PM   #1
custom10nut

Getting a new windshield.

I’m finally getting around to replacing my cracked windshield.
I have a good glass shop here in Columbia SC, and he’s the one that most recommend for older vehicles.
For those who’ve done this, is there anything I need to watch for when they do this? I’m putting the stainless trim on and made sure I have the right trim/seal.
I’ve had a leak at both upper corners since I got the truck, and now when I cut away part of the old seal, I see why.
Some time in the past, I think the glass was replaced, because there was a bunch of old caulking crap in the corners. I know it didn’t come out of Janesville that way.
Well wish me luck on a leak free windshield
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:12 PM   #2
Jim Boy

Smile Re: Getting a new windshield.

When I did mine it said to put the trim in the rubber on the windshield before installing the glass otherwise you won't get the trim to fit. Just my 2 cents. Good luck I broke the first one.
Jim Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:22 PM   #3
rsavage

Re: Getting a new windshield.

Tape the trim on about every 6" all the way around the windshield with blue masking tape (obviously after the rope has been placed in the gasket). The rope will cut through the tape as it is pulled over the lip. If you don't, the trim will often pop out before the windshield is fully installed. If it does, you carefully take the windshield out and start over again.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:55 PM   #4
huntznsam

We had a highly recommended glass shop do our 72 with trim for a small stone chip. Big mistake, shoulda lived with the chip. It took nearly a month, with them trying various combos of glass, wstrip, trim (and at one point blaming us for not supplying parts). Frustrated, they were close to returning in the truck with NO windshield. Instead we got it back with an amateur RTV job sealing the obviously unseated gasket. Just glad to get it out of shop hell, we live with it. One day, we’ll find another shop, or better yet, do it ourselves following the Precision video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOU_0HpS7To
huntznsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:26 PM   #5
truckster

The factory installed them with butyl rubber sealant approximately 12 inches from each top corner. Do not use silicone sealant on automotive glass.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:33 AM   #6
custom10nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
Tape the trim on about every 6" all the way around the windshield with blue masking tape (obviously after the rope has been placed in the gasket). The rope will cut through the tape as it is pulled over the lip. If you don't, the trim will often pop out before the windshield is fully installed. If it does, you carefully take the windshield out and start over again.
This is a great piece of advice. I’d read it before but forgot about it. I’ll be sure to take my tape with me on Friday.
I’m really kinda nervous about this after reading all the horror stories and past experiences with shops.
Thanks to all for the tips and advice
Old 05-29-2019, 07:37 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
The factory installed them with butyl rubber sealant approximately 12 inches from each top corner. Do not use silicone sealant on automotive glass.
x2! And don't use silicone anywhere on anything. I hate that crap. It was invented for aerospace decades ago and I bet they don't use it now. There are many better alternatives now... where using caulk is proper. Usually when I see silicone it was a failed attempt to fix a leak the EZ way when all it did was make matters worse for the one doing it right after the fact. It is a material the is incompatible with just about any other material on the planet. Once used, you are screwed for using anything else/better such as urethane or tri-polymers. They don't glaze high rises with silicone. That job NEEDS to be done right!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:41 AM   #8
kidatheart

I just watched 2 very good videos last night on YouTube with step by step instructions.
kidatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:07 AM   #9
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

My advice is don't even bother with reproduction stainless trim, you'll regret it. Use OEM trim. Good luck.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:17 AM   #10
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidatheart View Post
I just watched 2 very good videos last night on YouTube with step by step instructions.
Do you have links to them?

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:34 AM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
My advice is don't even bother with reproduction stainless trim, you'll regret it. Use OEM trim. Good luck.

^^^^ This!!! They probably won't get it installed if you have aftermarket trim. "Precision" rubber gasket & original trim all the way......

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:41 AM   #12
custom10nut

Well, I drove into the shop to get my new glass today, and as soon as the “Tech” stepped out, he says “I’ve never done one of these, and you gonna haf to put that chrome trim on yourself”.
I wasted an hour, and 30 miles worth of gas.
Now I have to go back on Tuesday, when they’re bringing a guy in just to do it.
LocDoc, I do have a Precision seal and the factory stainless trim. And I made sure that they match up.(knowing that there’s two styles, 67-70 and 71-72)
That was another headache in itself, trying to explain this detail to the clown behind the counter at the parts store.
I don’t expect much. I just want my new glass, and I want it installed right.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:23 PM   #13
dfosh

Let us know how it goes . And if it works out ok what brand of glass was used.
dfosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:30 PM   #14
notsolo

I dont know why your not doing this yourself, watch a few youtube videos, read as many windshield install questions. 20 ft 1/8" cord, water, dish liquid , tape to hold the trim in. You will know more about it than the guy your paying to do it, helps to have 2 people... Good luck either way. $6.00 set nylon tools from harbor freight would also help.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:38 PM   #15
kidatheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Do you have links to them?
Sorry-no I don’t. I just went to you-tube and did a search. One of them was done by LMC.
kidatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 02:31 PM   #16
custom10nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
I dont know why your not doing this yourself, watch a few youtube videos, read as many windshield install questions. 20 ft 1/8" cord, water, dish liquid , tape to hold the trim in. You will know more about it than the guy your paying to do it, helps to have 2 people... Good luck either way. $6.00 set nylon tools from harbor freight would also help.
I thought about doing it myself, but it’s only me, and it would be my luck that I would tweak it while trying to muscle it in, and shatter my new glass.
I was told this guy the shop has coming goes around to several locations as needed, to install glass in the older cars and trucks
Old 05-31-2019, 02:45 PM   #17
tdangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
I thought about doing it myself, but it’s only me, and it would be my luck that I would tweak it while trying to muscle it in, and shatter my new glass.
I was told this guy the shop has coming goes around to several locations as needed, to install glass in the older cars and trucks
X2 on doing it by yourself. I did mine by myself and never again. I didn't break the glass but I did pull some tendons in my arm. Next time I'll find a helper to push on the outside of the glass while I'm inside pulling the rope.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:00 PM   #18
samkost

This is the Precision YouTube link that is the most detailed video about our windshield installations.
Well worth the watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOU_0HpS7To
samkost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:17 PM   #19
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:

I never try it with less than two people (usually three). I have installed a lot of them.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:44 AM   #20
Redneck Rydes

X2 on having a helper
Redneck Rydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #21
RRR18

Precision video.
I did mine myself with one helper. I used glass from Summit, Precision rubber, and got the stainless trim aftermarket. It was a pain in the ass but I’d rather do it than tell a glass shop guy that’s never done one how to do it.

Follow on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/rtimes3c10/

Ryan
RRR18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:44 AM   #22
custom10nut

Does anyone have a Brand Name for this Butyl Sealant. I just got back fro the AP store and they don’t carry it. I wondering if either NAPA or the Paint Supply Store near me might have it.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #23
Mbeef61

I was able to find butyl tape at Home Depot. Also could try a glass shop
Mbeef61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:48 PM   #24
clint'71c10

I have the precision windshield seal and prescision's aftermarket stainless trim. This is the second windshield seal and stainless trim I have purchased. I had my neighbor help me attempt and install with the Counterparts brand seal and trim and we broke the mother! I said, ok that can't happen again... I bought a new windshield and have had 2 mobile installers come by to put the windshield in. They both complained about the counterparts brand and recommended Precision. I bought the precision brand seal and trim as I stated above and had the guy come back out. Guess what... he still said the trim will not work! He left and said he would come back and try again... a week ago. The precision video on youtube uses the original trim in the install... I was like WTF? They sold me the aftermarket junk that doesn't have the proper depth and then they use the original trim with the proper depth in their install video??? I have sent two "pro's" running away from this install.
clint'71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:09 PM   #25
truckster

Quote:
Does anyone have a Brand Name for this Butyl Sealant. I just got back fro the AP store and they don’t carry it. I wondering if either NAPA or the Paint Supply Store near me might have it.
I always used 3M or CRL brands. You want a flow-grade butyl, not the butyl tape - that's used to install windshields in older vehicles that had glass installed directly to the pinchweld, like most GM cars of that era. This is the stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/CRL-Windshiel.../dp/B000K40PGA

Apparently 3M no longer manufactures their brand of sealer. I've seen some in caulking tubes, but I never tried them.