The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2019, 03:52 PM   #1
N9nefingers

Disc brake auto part store part list

Alright guys....I've been reading this site for awhile now, there's lots and lots of great information here that I've used on my truck. I have a 1970 C10 longbed that I'm in the process of cutting to a shortbed. I've got it almost done...just the passenger bedside left. I'll add pictures or a build thread if anyone is interested. It's coming along pretty well I think. Anyways now that it is nearing completion I am starting to think about a disk brake conversion. All fine and good except I live in Hawaii and shipping from any of the vendors is pretty insane. I'd love to use ECE as they are loved on the site and from the calls I've placed to them, they are awesome. Shipping is not awesome though. That leads me to try and use Amazon Prime, Rockauto, Orielys and Autozone. I've found Belltech 3121 spindles on Amazon for $250 shipped free. Question is...I can't find a full parts list of what I need to buy for the rest of the conversion. I would love to buy a complete kit and be done with it but as stated...shipping. If anyone has a list of the parts or can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it very much. I have searched this site and the interwebs but just can't come up with anything. Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance. Oh and if anyone wants to see the build thus far I'd be happy to post some pics.
N9nefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:04 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Disc brake auto part store part list

Easiest swap to do is find some 71-72 spindles and get all the brake parts for a 71-72 truck. Main thing is that they are 5 lug instead of 6 lug. Also the rubber brake lines will attach to the hard lines at the front of the crossmember instead of the rear.

I used all 1972 stuff when I swapped to discs on a 1969 frame. I did have a complete 1972 donor truck though. I also swapped the front and rear to 5 lug too. Used Moser 5 lug conversion axles in the 1969 12 bolt housing.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
N9nefingers

That is pretty much what I've read...use 71-72 brakes...or even use 73-87 brakes. But what about the parts? Anybody have a list I can check off as I submit an order to Rockauto? And are there any 6 lug options? I can't imagine these companies (CPP/POL/McGaughys and such are manufacturing there own stuff. They must be compiling it all from factory GM parts. Let me be clear...I'd love to just pay them the money for the kit and be done with it...it's the $700 shipping price tag I cant swallow.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:09 AM   #4
SIXTY9

Have you seen this: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444815.
there is a bunch of good info on the disc brake swap.
SIXTY9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:11 AM   #5
N9nefingers

I did see that post...some great info but no parts list. I'm positive Lowlife and probably many others have the info I'm looking for...just need them to post it up. Thanks guys.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Parts list:
*67-70 conversion spindle (drop or stock height)
*71-87 HD 5-lug rotors and bearings (1-1/4" wide version)
If you want 6-lug "direct bolt on rotors" you need to go aftermarket.
Summit Racing sells CPP brand which are the cheapest.
*71-87 HD brake caliper for 1-1/4" wide rotors
* I like using 71-87 dust shield behind the rotors.
(some people run without these)
*71-72 oem proportioning valve and Master cylinder (these can be substituted with aftermarket disc/drum prop. valve and aftermarket M/C)
* ECE brake hoses is what I use for this conversion.
(Someone posted that a 1971 Camaro brake hose will work. I haven't confirmed that)
Some people use 71-72 brake hose or the much longer 73-87 brake hoses.
* You will need 71-72 steel brake lines to the master cylinder,... or bend your own with 3/16" and 1/4" steel line with inverted flare fittings.

That's about as complete as it gets.
If you want EXACT part numbers,... someone else will have to chime in.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:03 AM   #7
N9nefingers

Thanks Lolife...that is what I needed. I appreciate the help.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:49 PM   #8
rpmerf

I am converting a 70 C20. I got a 83 C20 for parts. I could find most everything in the store aside from the spindles and center link. Maybe dust shields too. I couldn't find a stock prop valve, but there are adjustable ones you can buy. Here is my parts list.

Keep on the 1970 C20:
Steering box (newish)
Pitman arm (newish)
Control Arms
Booster (newish)

Need to come from a 1983 C20 (new or used):
Spindles - used
Center Link - used
Upper and Lower Ball Joints - new
Tie Rod Ends - Inner, Outer, Adjusting Sleeve - new
Idler Arm - new
Calipers - new
Rotors - planning used
Pads - new
Caliper Hoses - new
Wheel Bearings - planning used
Wheel Seal - planning used
Spindle Nut + washer - planning used
Master Cylinder - new
Proportioning valve - used
Dust Shields - used

The 'planning used' items will be inspected before I make a decision as to keep it or replace it. I will be replacing the control arm bushings while I have everything apart. For brake lines, I will be following the 1983 routing with the prop valve under the radiator.

If you still have a 4.5 turn steering box, a 73-87 3.5 turn box is a nice upgrade.

I will be going with Moog for all my replacement suspension parts. Wagner or Raybestos for brake parts. AC Delco is good too. Be sure to watch out for 'product lines'. AC Delco Advantage is junk, AC Delco Professional is good. Moog Problem Solver is good. Moog R-Series is junk.

Some things to be aware of. In 1983ish they changed the size of the idler arm. There are different braking systems - JB6 and JB7. May be others, but those are the ones that were available in 83. Be sure you know what you have and match the parts correctly.

I would put my shopping cart here, but it's all for C20 stuff and I don't know how much would swap.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote