The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2020, 11:04 AM   #1
moregrip

questions about truck title

about 5 years ago I bought a squarebody off ebay, had it shipped to my house, all went well; truck showed up as described, running, and with the appropriate title/paperwork.

At the time, I was still on active duty and that kept me quite busy and rarely around. A few years before I retired we moved out of state and of course that took a while to get settled in. I think I've finally gotten through all the unopened boxes.

I'm usually prettygood about saving important paperwork but just cant seem to locate the title and sales receipt from that purchase. Its probably stashed in some "safe place" and I'll come across it in 20years or something! I wasn't too concerned because I bought it off ebay and was certain there would be a purchase trail I could follow if needed.

Fast forward to today. It appears ebay does not maintain records beyond 3 years and I have yet to find the title/sales reciept Based on your experience, what options do I have?

1983 Chevy C10 250/3spd (current project truck)
1976 Chevy C10 350/350 Heavy Half (future project truck)
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:08 PM   #2
dmack91

Re: questions about truck title

Each state is different. In Oregon, you would have to try to figure out who the last owner listed on the title was, contact them, and hope they would be willing to sign lost title paperwork.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:13 PM   #3
Dead Parrot

Take pictures of the VIN plate, door plate and such, then go to what serves as your state's vehicle registration authority. Be honest about what happened. Ask how to get a new title in your state. There is a process for it. If the process seems too much of a PITA, go to a different person/location and ask the same question. Sometimes the first person you ask is new or just doesn't give a flip.

I recently went through this when I bought a M35A2 from someone via a CL listing. Only thing I got was a Bill of Sale. Based on what I can tell, the thing went through the DRMO process and a farm auction + who knows what before the person I bought it from got it. I don't think any of the PO bothered to get a state registration.

It took a bit but I now have a OK title and tag. Part of the process was taking the VIN or serial number on the M35 and doing a stolen vehicle/lien search. Assuming nothing comes up, should be a fairly easy process.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:27 PM   #4
rpmerf

In Maryland, we have Tab and Title shops. They do basically the same stuff as the DMV, without having to go to the DMV. They are much more willing to work with you and let you know what you need to do.

I am assuming you never registered it in your name?

Do you have any contact information for the person you bought it from?
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 04:55 PM   #5
moregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmerf View Post
In Maryland, we have Tab and Title shops. They do basically the same stuff as the DMV, without having to go to the DMV. They are much more willing to work with you and let you know what you need to do.

I am assuming you never registered it in your name?

Do you have any contact information for the person you bought it from?
Thanks for all the responses!

No never did register it my name and I don't remember who I bought it from (was hoping I could track down that info from ebay). Hoping I still have some of the shipping paperwork......

basically, its looking like I overshreaded when we moved!

Last edited by moregrip; 03-13-2020 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #6
franken

So you never transferred the title? I'd start by figuring out what state it came from and checking the local titling practices in that and your state.
I'd like to say something more about not transferring ownership of a vehicle but...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:19 PM   #7
moregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
So you never transferred the title? I'd start by figuring out what state it came from and checking the local titling practices in that and your state.
I'd like to say something more about not transferring ownership of a vehicle but...
so much going on at the time, I wish I remembered the details. Arkansas sticks out in my head; I know it passed through Texarkana on the shipping truck, then it was dropped off in Phoenix and my cousin drove it the rest of the way to me. I vaguely remember the seller saying he reported the sale to his state dmv, but that could be an incorrect recollection too; all the details are fairly gone now.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:25 PM   #8
moregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Take pictures of the VIN plate, door plate and such, then go to what serves as your state's vehicle registration authority. Be honest about what happened. Ask how to get a new title in your state. There is a process for it. If the process seems too much of a PITA, go to a different person/location and ask the same question. Sometimes the first person you ask is new or just doesn't give a flip.

I recently went through this when I bought a M35A2 from someone via a CL listing. Only thing I got was a Bill of Sale. Based on what I can tell, the thing went through the DRMO process and a farm auction + who knows what before the person I bought it from got it. I don't think any of the PO bothered to get a state registration.

It took a bit but I now have a OK title and tag. Part of the process was taking the VIN or serial number on the M35 and doing a stolen vehicle/lien search. Assuming nothing comes up, should be a fairly easy process.
I'm going to try this route, if needed, I can get an official statement from my cousin who drove it from the drop off location to my house. I think I still have pictures from when he made the trek! No A/C in the heat of the summer no less!

Old 03-13-2020, 08:27 PM   #9
kingsolver72
10/30/19

My suggestion, whatever you do, is to do everything above board.
Well intentioned advice may put you in a sketchy situation.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:33 PM   #10
moregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
My suggestion, whatever you do, is to do everything above board.
Well intentioned advice may put you in a sketchy situation.
That's the only way I do things, to old to do it any other way and its not really in my nature to lie, especially about a $500 truck

Old 03-14-2020, 03:03 AM   #11
Danmcg

If it's an 81 or newer, a Carfax report would at least give ya the last state it was in, and might help to track down the last owner.
That's all I got.
Let us know how it works out, I'm in a similar boat myself.

Last edited by Danmcg; 03-14-2020 at 03:10 AM.
Danmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:00 AM   #12
Jrainman

I would think the shipping company would have a pick up location and the seller should have had to sign off on the pick up of the truck , I would start there
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #13
moregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmcg View Post
If it's an 81 or newer, a Carfax report would at least give ya the last state it was in, and might help to track down the last owner.
That's all I got.
Let us know how it works out, I'm in a similar boat myself.
I did not even think of that, excellent!

Last edited by moregrip; 03-14-2020 at 08:24 AM.