The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2020, 09:31 PM   #1
Aaron Burkemper

Detroit No-spin question

I looked through previous posts, but did not find my question addressed.

I have a no-spin in my HO72. It doesn't seem to unlock the way I feel it should. More often than not, I chirp around corners. I am very accustomed to the normal Detroit clunks and the like, but it should unlock.

The last time I had it out, the springs were withing height spec and even to both sides.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?
Old 03-05-2020, 09:50 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Detroit No-spin question

Not that the differential is different, but your C/20 would have an HO52. Or is this in some other truck? It's hard to fully understand what it is your truck is doing from afar. The locker will chirp the inner tire on a tight turn taking off, like making a right from a stop, unless you are real light on the pedal. You can chirp that tire at will with the slightest extra input.

I had one that acted like a go-kart live axle. Total one-legger with no bias. I couldn't back up my stone driveway. The one wheel just spun at the least touch of throttle. I pulled it out and swapped in another unit at a friend's shop. When I went back for the other unit to look into what was wrong, he had lost one of the side springs, so nothing learned. I see nothing else that was wrong in the rest of the unit.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:14 PM   #3
Aaron Burkemper

Re: Detroit No-spin question

It is a HO72, I suppose it got swapped in at some point. It has the ring gear thrust bearing. I'll try some finesse on the corners at take off and see if it does anything different.