The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 11:05 AM   #1
MJN

Difficulty finding body shops that do rust repair

Lately I've been calling around to local body shops about getting some rust repair done, rocker panel/rear quarter panel areas. Not rusted through but paint bubbling and surface rust showing through. I'm not a body man so I just want to get it stopped correctly before it turns into a gaping hole. In my small town of about 6,000 people there are 6 or 7 body shops. Only one local shop will touch any type of rust repair, all the others locally only deal with collision and panel replacement/insurance claims. Anyone else experienced this? Its frustrating and hate to let my truck rot away just because its not a bumper, fender or hood that can be sprayed and bolted on.
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:00 PM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: Difficulty finding body shops that do rust repair

It's the same way in my area.

All the one's that Owned their own shop have pasted away or retired.

I think there is only 2 around that will do it , But they are always Booked up.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:20 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

this is precisely why i found a class at my community college that taught me.. i took a series of classes that allowed me to actually bring my truck to school and work on it. I actually made my own parts out of flat sheet metal and welded them on

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:37 PM   #4
MJN

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
this is precisely why i found a class at my community college that taught me.. i took a series of classes that allowed me to actually bring my truck to school and work on it. I actually made my own parts out of flat sheet metal and welded them on
I'm all for learning a new skill and doing things myself but unfortunately taking a course at the closest CC that offers a class like that isn't in the cards at this time. Between working full time, a growing family and keeping up with all the things around home (still cleaning up the yard from our latest storms yet) I barely have time for my current projects let alone taking on new ones. I'm also not going to experiment or learn to do body work on this truck, even if repair panels are readily available. I understand these things sound like excuses but so be it- this is a job best done by the people that do this day in and day out.
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:35 PM   #5
RustyPile

I live in a very small town (pop.1300) in east Texas.. Nearest sizeable town is over 50 miles away.. Palestine (County Seat), population 16,000 is about 10 miles away.. Only 2 - 3 body shops.. One of them "advertises" restoration services.. Like all body shops, their main source of income is insurance jobs. Based on the amount of work required on any particular job, the insurance company requires the job be finished in a very specific time period.. This particular body shop will take in a restoration job, and when an insurance job comes in, the restoration job gets pushed back in a corner.. There it sits for months and months..

In Palestine, there is a pick-&-pull salvage yard that can source parts for old cars.. The owner also offers transmission rebuilding services.. As part of the business, his son runs a "one man operation" body shop.. Complete with modern paint booth.. He works primarily on "customer pay" projects with insurance jobs taking a back seat.. He is always busy with work that comes from miles around.. If he happens to be contacted about an insurance job, if he's busy at the time, that job is rejected.. He does excellent work and has worked on my stuff a few times and I came away totally satisfied..

My advice to the OP is step outside the box and ask around.. Locate a small one-man operation who's not interested in dealing with insurance companies.. You'll probably find someone..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:15 PM   #6
HO455
Post Whore

This trend has been exacerbated by the insurance companies putting pressure on the body shops not to have restoration work in their shop. The pressure is expressed by the insurance companies that they will discourage insurance claims from using the shop. As most collision shops aren't willing to lose their bread and butter insurance claim work the number of available shops for rust repair has dropped to almost zero. And without those shops training the technicians there is no next generation of qualified people for the work. There is a guy local to me who has started a shop that only does sheet metal replacement. No paint or putty work. I'm thinking of using him for my next project. And hopefully I can get a straight forward no metal work paint job from a collision shop.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:24 PM   #7
LS short box

I help at a some what local body shop a couple days a week. They do rocker/cab corner replacement on older pickups and SUV's. About $3000-$4000 depending on vehicle and level of rust. The shop owner is in his late 30's and his two shop guys are in the mid 20's. Takes one guy about two days to R and R the rocker/cab corners. Then another 2? days to do body work and paint. Keep in mind on trucks to do cab corners properly the box has to come off to get at the back of the cab. Box bolts can be a real pain since they are always rusted.
Maybe contact a local car club to see if they can recommend someone?
LS short box is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:24 PM   #8
Ironhorse

Sadly that is the world we live in now days. Wife drives a '05 Tahoe with some rust coming thru on the left rear wheel well arch. Out little town has three body shops, one does restoration work only, booked well into the future, another only does insurance work, no rust repair of any sort. Last one, same damn thing, insurance work, no rust repair at all. Really frustrating when a person wants to take care of a good vehicle and you run into that situation.

MJN, agree, start asking around, buddies, known car guys, car shows, coffee and cars meets, local Auto Zone/O'reillys, etc, just anywhere. I was lucky and found a retired guy that worked for the same company as I did who LOVES doing that rust repair/restoration but....only works on older vehicles and classics. He did my Chevelle and my '57. He learned it from an old school body guy and now he's retired like myself and runs a shop at home for side money. Keep asking around and good luck. Not much help I know but don't give up the search. Good luck to you.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:34 PM   #9
raggedjim

When a friend of my son's backed into my blazer I went to at least 10 shops in the area before I found a guy who would repair the fender. All the other shops refuse to do any rust work at all.

Now that I'm retired I'm working on my own stuff, but you couldn't pay me to work on anyone else's trucks ( believe me, I have had people beg me to but I ain't doing it). I can barely please myself let alone anyone else! I'm willing to offer advice if they want it, and I'll help as long as they are working with me but I have my own junk that needs work.

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:13 PM   #10
dmjlambert

Time for a vacation trip to Texas and drop that truck off with the son at pick-n-pull.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote