The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2020, 09:42 PM   #1
Russ.W.

Question ECE drop spindle disc conversion instructions? 67 C10

G'day folks. Finally getting around to doing my drop spindle front disc conversion from Early Classic Enterprises (on my 67 C10), but it's been years since I bought the kit and can't find any instructions.

Unfortunately with their recent closing down, they've also removed all their tech articles off their website. I've dropped them an email, but yet to get a response.

Any chance anyone here has a .pdf copy they can share?

Cheers.
Russ.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:00 AM   #2
Russ.W.

Re: ECE drop spindle disc conversion instructions? 67 C10

I think I figured it out. I took photo's from each step of the process, so I'll post them here for future reference. If you notice something out of whack, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Apologies if this should have been posted in the dedicated Suspension forum.

- Spring in and drop spindle on.

- Dust shield on.

- Small rubber gasket. This was the part I was unsure of. It's the only place I could think of for it to go.

- Bearings greased and installed, along with seal.

- Outer bearing, keyed washer, and nut in place. Pin in. Spins great.

- Then on to the pads, using the anti rattle clip/retainer. This also took me a while to figure out. This is the only place I could make it work. Hope it's not wrong.

- All buttoned in and looking good.

The only issue I've come across is that the outer pad (the one without a retainer clip) is a little wobbly, and unless I hold it in place, it contacts the disc when spinning. The bolts that run through it lock down in place, but as you can see in the next photo, the hole in the pad back is larger than the bolt. This is where the movement comes from.

I'm wondering if this hole should have a some kind of bushing in it? Or will the issue sort itself out once the brake system finished and properly bled? This is my first time installing a disc conversion by myself, so I'm not sure what's what.

Thanks for your time.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:27 PM   #3
TruDom

i'll look when i get home. but i do remember playing with the pads a bit. slop will come out of it with fluid in the brake caliper.

I think you might have the pads switched though. the holed pad might go on the inside with the clip. looks like there is a metal bushing thing for it to sit on in the caliper picture.

sidenote: one of my bleed holes wasn't completely punched out from the metal casting and it took me forever to find the issue on why the caliper wouldnt bleed. As it looked normal with the bleed valve on.
TruDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:42 PM   #4
Russ.W.

Lightbulb Re: ECE drop spindle disc conversion instructions? 67 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruDom View Post
i'll look when i get home. but i do remember playing with the pads a bit. slop will come out of it with fluid in the brake caliper.

I think you might have the pads switched though. the holed pad might go on the inside with the clip. looks like there is a metal bushing thing for it to sit on in the caliper picture.

sidenote: one of my bleed holes wasn't completely punched out from the metal casting and it took me forever to find the issue on why the caliper wouldnt bleed. As it looked normal with the bleed valve on.
Thanks for the reply. I‘ll double check the pads today. They are specific fit - inner & outer pads can’t be accidentally be placed on the wrong side of the Caliper.

However, there is no left/right markings on the pads, so maybe the pads I have on this right-side Caliper actually go on the left side of the truck.

Will check it out.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #5
SCOTI

The rubber seal actually goes under the dust shield (between the spindle hub base & dust shield)
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:34 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

You happen to notice the calipers don't fit as nice on the spindle as original? My 71 wasn't quite flush like before. I did a little sanding since this pic, but it's still not a perfect fit like original.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:39 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
You happen to notice the calipers don't fit as nice on the spindle as original? My 71 wasn't quite flush like before. I did a little sanding since this pic, but it's still not a perfect fit like original.
That's a common issue w/aftermarket spindles so not any one specific brand. A little filing does the trick.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 05-20-2020, 05:29 PM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
That's a common issue w/aftermarket spindles so not any one specific brand. A little filing does the trick.
I see. I only sanded a little off, perhaps I should have taken more, because they're not flush. It's my understanding that's for aesthetics only, so long as the caliper bolts insert as intended and the discs are square. Or so I hope
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 05-20-2020, 09:47 PM   #9
Russ.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
The rubber seal actually goes under the dust shield (between the spindle hub base & dust shield)
Damn it! hahaha. Thanks for the heads up. I knew I'd get something wrong.

Quote:
I'm converting from drum brakes, so I have no reference for how original spindles differ. I'll take a look though and so how well they seat. Cheers.

Can anyone tell what the "clip" on the inner pad is for? and what it's orientation should be? As I have them set now, this clip is at the top of the spindle. If I swap the inner pads from left to right, it is at the bottom of the caliper.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:25 PM   #10
zosoppp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ.W. View Post
Can anyone tell what the "clip" on the inner pad is for? and what it's orientation should be? As I have them set now, this clip is at the top of the spindle. If I swap the inner pads from left to right, it is at the bottom of the caliper.

That's likely not a clip, but the pad wear indicator. When the pad is worn down it will screech on the rotor announcing it's repair time. It should be on the trailing end of the pad when the wheel is going forward.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:44 PM   #11
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by zosoppp View Post
That's likely not a clip, but the pad wear indicator. When the pad is worn down it will screech on the rotor announcing it's repair time. It should be on the trailing end of the pad when the wheel is going forward.
Pretty sure the scraper up or down doesn't matter, but I installed the pads as I found them, which was the scraper positioned at the top front of the caliper. Correct, scrapes when the pads need replacing.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with your caliper fit. Hopefully I don't have a do-over (yikes). I was on the shy side about filing because everything is already finished. and word was it they work as intended regardless. Don't quote me on that, from here I'm a novice.

Second instance I finish coated something only to find cast replacement parts aren't replacement parts until you break out a file, whoops! Water pump really (*()^ me off too brushed three coats on that paper weight to find the impostor doesn't clear an OEM timing cover cleanly. Should have bought the Delco the first time

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 05-21-2020 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:34 AM   #12
Russ.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zosoppp View Post
Ah good to know. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Pretty sure the scraper up or down doesn't matter, but I installed the pads as I found them, which was the scraper positioned at the top front of the caliper. Correct, scrapes when the pads need replacing.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with your caliper fit. Hopefully I don't have a do-over (yikes). I was on the shy side about filing because everything is already finished. and word was it they work as intended regardless. Don't quote me on that, from here I'm a novice.

Second instance I finish coated something only to find cast replacement parts aren't replacement parts until you break out a file, whoops! Water pump really (*()^ me off too brushed three coats on that paper weight to find the impostor doesn't clear an OEM timing cover cleanly. Should have bought the Delco the first time
I’m going to grab my file and see if I can tidy up the Caliper for a better fitting pad. See if it makes a difference.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:09 AM   #13
TruDom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ.W. View Post
Thanks for the reply. I‘ll double check the pads today. They are specific fit - inner & outer pads can’t be accidentally be placed on the wrong side of the Caliper.

However, there is no left/right markings on the pads, so maybe the pads I have on this right-side Caliper actually go on the left side of the truck.

Will check it out.
you have the pads correct. the holed pad goes on the outside; thats how mine are. no bushing or anything.
I also have a little play 1-2mm. it doesnt move around once you bleed the brakes.
TruDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:41 PM   #14
jonmc56

I just uploaded a copy of the instructions that came with my ECE disc brake kit here:

ECE Brake Kit.pdf

The pics aren't great, but they weren't great in the original document either. Hope this is helpful to you.

I'm sure sad to see ECE go away, their stuff was top notch.

Jon

Last edited by jonmc56; 09-05-2021 at 11:05 AM. Reason: fixed link
jonmc56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:42 AM   #15
Russ.W.

Thumbs up Re: ECE drop spindle disc conversion instructions? 67 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmc56 View Post
I just uploaded a copy of the instructions that came with my ECE disc brake kit here:

ECE Brake Kit.pdf

The pics aren't great, but they weren't great in the original document either. Hope this is helpful to you.

Jon
You are a champion. Thanks mate. Nice to also have the required torque specs. Now I can bolt it down properly. Thanks again.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:48 PM   #16
SCOTI

Quote:

ECE Brake Kit.pdf

Jon
Kudos to you for the helping hand. This site has some good people!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 05-25-2020, 01:09 PM   #17
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Your front brake hoses run from the front of the crossmember right? If orientation is the same as a 71 then replacement brake hoses are too short. I read up and it looks like approx. 16" is right. Original hoses are 13"?

13" doesn't clear the upper ball joint. Clearly not on my LH side, which may have something to do with having to max torque the joint to clear the cotter pin

Also the replacement brake hose fitting may not quite match the brackets on your crossmember. I think replacements hoses are 1973, might be 72.

16" is not confirmed, but the guy didn't deny it either. Sounds right. Stainless isn't a bad idea, but I'm having hoses made, hopefully with the right crossmember fitting. For all I know you and ECE have it figured out already. It really is a shame he's done. Real nice guy, he helped me a few times. If I remember right, he's one source who said sure original calipers aren't flush but it works.

Been a year since I installed everything, but I recall the caliper bolts fitting into tight holes spindle and caliper, perhaps even pads. In other terms, I'm not sure filing the caliper flush to the spindle makes a difference how the pads fit. But again, looking forward to what you end up doing.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:28 PM   #18
weq92f

Quote:

ECE Brake Kit.pdf

Jon

Thank you Jon, I'm now able to add this to my repository ( I've got the same ECE spindle + brake kit installed)!!!

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote